Buying Advice Kubota compared to John Deere

/ Kubota compared to John Deere #41  
I was recently in the market for a new tractor, ended up buying a Kubota M7040SUD. So, I obviously like Kubota. This is a basic 70hp tractor. The equivalent JD (5075e) wasn't as nice in my opinion. And it was one of the JD tractors made in India. Despite that, I'd still expect JD quality. I agree with the common opinion on this topic, both are good brands. It's hard to say one is better than the other across the board. A compelling argument might be made for a particular size (ex. 30hp size) that one brand is better, but it's probably not significantly different.

One thing I like about JD, however, is the parts availability and Web site. I haven't had to order any parts for my Kubota, but I do own a JD commercial lawnmower that I've had to order parts for and the JD Web site allows me to see a schematic of the mower to identify the correct part and order it online to pick up at the dealer. I do like that. There is an online Kubota parts dealer (Messicks) that offers the same type of service, but it's online. So, the one thing I can say for JD is they offer a much more comprehensive Web site and online suite of tools (can view more elaborate specs, owners manuals, parts, etc.). I would like to see Kubota improve in that respect.

/ Kubota compared to John Deere #43  
If one is sold on JD, they should do some research to find out which model of the manufacturer is closest to the JD model they want and buy it direct. There would be a substantial savings, and the quality, longevity etc. would be equal.

Now a days, you can't. It isn't as if Deere merely puts a decal on someone's tractor. Lots of decal tractors out there, but Deere specifies virtually every detail of every product, even if they use pieces or engines from someone else. Plus, if it's Green, they back it with renowned parts support. Just sayin.

/ Kubota compared to John Deere #44  
Now a days, you can't. It isn't as if Deere merely puts a decal on someone's tractor. Lots of decal tractors out there, but Deere specifies virtually every detail of every product, even if they use pieces or engines from someone else. Plus, if it's Green, they back it with renowned parts support. Just sayin.

Do you really think Yanmar has a special production line for product they sell to JD rather than what they sell themselves? Being in the manufacturing business, I really doubt it. As far as spares, there are sites that cross reference parts from JD to Yanmar, for example, so that you can buy a JD part number to replace a Yanmar part. Although the same sites show that a Yanmar part for the same application costs 50% the JD part, if you can find it.

/ Kubota compared to John Deere #45  
Do you really think Yanmar has a special production line for product they sell to JD rather than what they sell themselves? Being in the manufacturing business, I really doubt it. As far as spares, there are sites that cross reference parts from JD to Yanmar, for example, so that you can buy a JD part number to replace a Yanmar part. Although the same sites show that a Yanmar part for the same application costs 50% the JD part, if you can find it.

Can you buy a Yanmar? Those models over CC/Yanmar do not match up directly, AFAIK. Again, Deere bought a lot of Yanmar engines and some of the smaller cuts are 90 percent Yanmar, but again, it isn't merely a decal unit. Deere has a ton of input on those units.

We agree that Kubota makes Kubota and that Deere has been leaning heavily on Yanmar for a long time. But your statement that one could just go buy a Deere without the green paint doesn't ring true to my understanding of how it all works.

LS? Mahindra? BobCat? many other examples of decals involved, but Deere isn't that clear cut.

/ Kubota compared to John Deere #46  
Can you buy a Yanmar? Those models over CC/Yanmar do not match up directly, AFAIK. Again, Deere bought a lot of Yanmar engines and some of the smaller cuts are 90 percent Yanmar, but again, it isn't merely a decal unit. Deere has a ton of input on those units.

We agree that Kubota makes Kubota and that Deere has been leaning heavily on Yanmar for a long time. But your statement that one could just go buy a Deere without the green paint doesn't ring true to my understanding of how it all works.

LS? Mahindra? BobCat? many other examples of decals involved, but Deere isn't that clear cut.

I really doubt that Yanmar has a special production line for tractors they sell to JD. And, I am quite sure that whatever JD buys from Yanmar is no different than what Yanmar sells directly.

/ Kubota compared to John Deere #47  

Yes Yanmar does build specifically for JD. Many parts are the same but the engine in the JD tractor was made for that tractor as per JD specs:)

/ Kubota compared to John Deere #49  
Heck- who builds the Kubota tractor? oh Kubota makes Kubota.. Thats kinda easy to follow...:dance1:

AndyG