Kubota Dealer is really good sport!

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport!
I can see why you'd be a little lost, Rob. Can you indicate where I ever said the customer is always right?

Edit: In my book "often" certainly does NOT mean more often than not. If that's what I meant, I would have said that. Depending on the circumstances, "often" can mean more than once. In my 13 years as an attorney providing legal services to sometimes very demanding customers, disagreements alone never made me "fire" a client. However, if a client lied to me, that was it. Or if a client put me in a situation in which I had inadvertently lied for him, goodbye. My integrity was never for sale. Nonpayment of my bills was also a reason to stop providiing services to a client. So, did I fire most of my clients, or do it more often than not? No. Did I do it when I felt it necessary? Yes. My point is, I know full well that I did not and do not think my customers (clients) were always right. Sometimes, they did stuff that made me say, in so many words, take a hike. But just because they didn't like what I said, or they made decisions I disagreed with, which was quite often, that alone never made me say goodbye. Does that make sense? I mean, I was "serving" them. They weren't there for me.

I can see why you'd be a little lost, Rob. Can you indicate where I ever said the customer is always right?

Edit: In my book "often" certainly does NOT mean more often than not. If that's what I meant, I would have said that. Depending on the circumstances, "often" can mean more than once. In my 13 years as an attorney providing legal services to sometimes very demanding customers, disagreements alone never made me "fire" a client. However, if a client lied to me, that was it. Or if a client put me in a situation in which I had inadvertently lied for him, goodbye. My integrity was never for sale. Nonpayment of my bills was also a reason to stop providiing services to a client. So, did I fire most of my clients, or do it more often than not? No. Did I do it when I felt it necessary? Yes. My point is, I know full well that I did not and do not think my customers (clients) were always right. Sometimes, they did stuff that made me say, in so many words, take a hike. But just because they didn't like what I said, or they made decisions I disagreed with, which was quite often, that alone never made me say goodbye. Does that make sense? I mean, I was "serving" them. They weren't there for me.

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport! #73  
PM, good for you on ordering the chaps. Now I hope you never have a need to test what they are designed to do. Like you I was not raised around chain saws and never seriously used them until we bought our first rural property. Didn’t take long to realize what a great tool they were nor long to realize how much damage they could do to me if something went wrong.

Stories from the Doc’s like N80, accident stories some of the TBN members have had and advice from some of the more experienced members here lead me to getting all the safety equipment. Now that it is habit even a single cut gets eye protection and chaps on before the saw is started. For any major cutting a logging helmet, gloves and boots are added to the wardrobe.

I must admit there were times I thought it was a pain to put all that stuff on and I had a few friends that would giggle when I came out looking like some old north woods logger. Then one day I was out in the woods cleaning up a downed tree and all of a sudden a branch came down from another tree and whacked me on the helmet. It wasn’t enough to knock me off my feet but I sure did see stars for awhile. Made me think that here I am out in the woods where no one ever goes and the wife is in Europe for the next three days. Now I can’t say whether that branch would have put me down for any length of time or not without that helmet. I can say I’m glad I didn’t have to find out so for me it is safety gear whether there are giggles or not.

MarkV

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport! #74  
PM, good for you on ordering the chaps. Now I hope you never have a need to test what they are designed to do. Like you I was not raised around chain saws and never seriously used them until we bought our first rural property. Didn’t take long to realize what a great tool they were nor long to realize how much damage they could do to me if something went wrong.

Stories from the Doc’s like N80, accident stories some of the TBN members have had and advice from some of the more experienced members here lead me to getting all the safety equipment. Now that it is habit even a single cut gets eye protection and chaps on before the saw is started. For any major cutting a logging helmet, gloves and boots are added to the wardrobe.

I must admit there were times I thought it was a pain to put all that stuff on and I had a few friends that would giggle when I came out looking like some old north woods logger. Then one day I was out in the woods cleaning up a downed tree and all of a sudden a branch came down from another tree and whacked me on the helmet. It wasn’t enough to knock me off my feet but I sure did see stars for awhile. Made me think that here I am out in the woods where no one ever goes and the wife is in Europe for the next three days. Now I can’t say whether that branch would have put me down for any length of time or not without that helmet. I can say I’m glad I didn’t have to find out so for me it is safety gear whether there are giggles or not.

MarkV

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport! #75  
I never use the chain saw alone. Someone must be within sight, and with a cell phone. That someone must also remain far enough away that they will not be injured by my activities. That person is usually the spouse and her biggest problem is staying out of the active zone. She keeps wanting to step into the zone to help. If this happens, all activity gets shut down until she backs up. My definition of "the zone", not hers, is the one we use.

/ Kubota Dealer is really good sport! #76  
I never use the chain saw alone. Someone must be within sight, and with a cell phone. That someone must also remain far enough away that they will not be injured by my activities. That person is usually the spouse and her biggest problem is staying out of the active zone. She keeps wanting to step into the zone to help. If this happens, all activity gets shut down until she backs up. My definition of "the zone", not hers, is the one we use.

Those are good rules to follow. I can't say I always have someone with me, but I do always have my cell phone. In addition to the dangers of a chain saw, I also have Type 1 diabetes. If I am feeling like my blood sugar is low, I grab some sugar (always with me) from a pouch I have strapped around the base of the Joystick for my FEL. That's where I keep my cell phone too.

Those are good rules to follow. I can't say I always have someone with me, but I do always have my cell phone. In addition to the dangers of a chain saw, I also have Type 1 diabetes. If I am feeling like my blood sugar is low, I grab some sugar (always with me) from a pouch I have strapped around the base of the Joystick for my FEL. That's where I keep my cell phone too.

I'll be glad to get the chaps. I can easily see the possibility of tripping over a stump while trying to gain my footing and there goes the chain toward me leg. I got the extra large so the length will come up to my abdomen.

I also wear sturdy gloves, not just for the saw, but also because my primary use is cutting down buckthorn. Fortunately, that also means the height of the trees I am cutting rarely exceeded 30 feet, and even the ones that are 40 feet are not very thick. For larger trees, when the need arises, I will probably hire a professional to take it down.

I'll be glad to get the chaps. I can easily see the possibility of tripping over a stump while trying to gain my footing and there goes the chain toward me leg. I got the extra large so the length will come up to my abdomen.

I also wear sturdy gloves, not just for the saw, but also because my primary use is cutting down buckthorn. Fortunately, that also means the height of the trees I am cutting rarely exceeded 30 feet, and even the ones that are 40 feet are not very thick. For larger trees, when the need arises, I will probably hire a professional to take it down.