Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions

/ Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #1  

DenisM

Bronze Member
Tractor
Looking for one now.
Looking to buy a new diesel zero turn mower and have always liked Kubota equipment. Two local dealers I called gave very vauge answers to my engine questions.

Do the smaller zero turns, like a ZD 1011,require DEF?
Do these smaller engines have an EGR system?
Do these smaller engines have a common rail, high pressure, ECM controlled injection system or do they have a mechanical, older style mechanical injection system?

If newer engines have these features how far back would I have to go to get one without them?

I believe these engines must meet tier 4 standards, but the government web site I checked was too complicated to get any answers from.

Thanks for any insight.

/ Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #2  
My ZD1211 is 24.8 HP and no dpf. I believe it is exactly the same as my older ZD326 emissions wise. Both mechanically injected, no dpf, no computer control. There won't be def on any of the Tier4 ZD mowers.
The (now discontinued) ZD1511 was a mechanically injected, dpf equipped machine that was very problematic for Kubota.

I have been very satisfied with both of these machines. The 1211 has a 72" deck, and I have no power issues. It's not "beast mode" like my previous ZD331 72", but it gets the job done.

/ Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #3  
My ZD1211 is 24.8 HP and no dpf. I believe it is exactly the same as my older ZD326 emissions wise. Both mechanically injected, no dpf, no computer control. There won't be def on any of the Tier4 ZD mowers.
The (now discontinued) ZD1511 was a mechanically injected, dpf equipped machine that was very problematic for Kubota.

I have been very satisfied with both of these machines. The 1211 has a 72" deck, and I have no power issues. It's not "beast mode" like my previous ZD331 72", but it gets the job done.
You correct, the engines are under 25 hp so not Def or other emissions control stuff required.

/ Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #4  
I'd like one, problem is my wife says my wallet isn't fat enough. I tend to agree and owning a pair of gas zero turns now, one would be too much as there is only the 2 of us anyway.

I've done quite well with both actually, lots of hours, lots of acres mowed and lots of maintenance as well.

I do have a feeling that the Kohler V twin on one of them is going to have to be replaced soon. Has a strange sound coming from within. Runs fine for now, probably a wintertime project.

/ Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #5  

I have the same D1105 Kubota engine in my F2690 as your ZD1211 and it has no problem with the 72" deck. I do have the rear discharge deck which probably takes a little less HP in heavy grass since discharge is across the entire width of the deck instead of funneling the clippings into a smaller chute.

The Kubota has taken over mowing duties from my Deere 955 compact (33 HP 1.4L diesel) with a 72" midmount. With the deck out front, I can mow much faster and get a cleaner cut since the only wheels in front of the deck are carrying only part of the deck weight instead of the heavy tractor wheels pushing down the grass.

These sub 25 horse derated engines are pretty basic simple mechanically injected diesel engines and the equipment safety controls (aka OPC) are potentially the most troublesome part of the equipment.

Rodger

/ Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #6  
The Kubota 1105 diesel is just “de rated” to meet the max HP rating without a DPF. Even with de-rating I think it probably has good torque to be able to run the 72” deck.

I might pick up a used ZD-1211L and add it to the fleet next summer.

/ Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #7  
I'm not a fan of the 1211's fuel system. It draws off both tanks at the same time and the fuel gauge shows the total fuel available. A crossover tube keeps the pressure equal. Sounds good in theory, but I am constantly having one tank draw either faster than the other, or just from the one tank period. I replaced the individual tank filters after only 100 hours (normally get 400 hours out of them), and it's back to unequal fuel drawing. It started doing this at 1200 hours.

I plan to remove the individual tank filters and install a Racor water separating filter after the tank "T" fitting. There is good flow from each tank before the filter, so I suspect somehow one tank has dirtier fuel than the other and creating an unequal draw.

/ Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #8  
I'm not a fan of the 1211's fuel system. It draws off both tanks at the same time and the fuel gauge shows the total fuel available. A crossover tube keeps the pressure equal. Sounds good in theory, but I am constantly having one tank draw either faster than the other, or just from the one tank period. I replaced the individual tank filters after only 100 hours (normally get 400 hours out of them), and it's back to unequal fuel drawing. It started doing this at 1200 hours.

I plan to remove the individual tank filters and install a Racor water separating filter after the tank "T" fitting. There is good flow from each tank before the filter, so I suspect somehow one tank has dirtier fuel than the other and creating an unequal draw.

Funny, I thought that would be an improvement, too.

My ZD 331 has the separate tanks as you well know.
I guess Kubota eliminated the twin separate tanks as a cost cutting measure? That eliminates the “low fuel” warning light and sender for the reserve tank and the valve to switch the tanks.

/ Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #9  
This time, buy the Chinese Racor clone and install a genuine Racor element like I did. Much cheaper and you get the same result. On big trucks with saddle tanks, they use an inline one way valve so the brother tank draws down equal to the other tank. That is why, if you do a partial fill, you always fill the tank that has the fuel line drawing from it.

Interesting in as much as neither of my M9's have that issue and they both have saddle tanks so I'm thinking that they have the one way valve, though I've never looked and the crossover line under the gearbox has a shield over it anyway.

/ Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #10  
Funny, I thought that would be an improvement, too.

My ZD 331 has the separate tanks as you well know.
I guess Kubota eliminated the twin separate tanks as a cost cutting measure? That eliminates the “low fuel” warning light and sender for the reserve tank and the valve to switch the tanks.
I've been thinking of adding a second fuel gauge on my ZD326 - the low fuel light doesn't seem particularly useful, especially on hilly ground.