Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions

/ Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #11  
i have a 1211 with a 60" deck that I run a mulching kit on. I don't think I would want a 72" deck with a mulcher but it may be okay. I probably cut grass differently than most of you. I have centipede and cut it down to 1.5" so I can bog down even the best of mowers. I do really like the 1211. So much better than any of the JDs that I have had. I still run my old JD 717A. It was my first ZT. Still the best cutting mower that I've ever had as far as appearance.

That fuel tank setup is strange. But mine is soo good on fuel that it doesn't matter all that much to me. I just filled up Wednesday and the two tanks were fairly close in level. Not exactly but probably within 1/4 tank.

/ Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #12  
I started looking at 1211’s to replace my ZD331.
My concern is the drop off from 31HP to 25HP is going to be noticeable. Kubota says the new 72” deck uses less power. It’s the same 1105 diesel engine, which is probably the best 25-35HP diesel ever built.

What I might do is grab a used 1211 and keep/use the ZD331 for the times we have to cut super tall grass? Make it like a “rough area” mower.

For what my ZD331 would sell for (maybe $7,000???) it isn’t worth selling. They are tanks and built to last a long time.

My F3680 is something that has allowed me to take steep angle cutting tasks on, but it was a lot to spend on a mower that only cuts small steep areas. Unfortunately, mowing contractors aren’t typically paid for mowing a piece of ground where a small percentage is steep.

Last edited:
   / Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #13  
I never ran a 331. Honestly, the primary reason I got the 1211 was the way the deck raise and lower works. I cut around 38 live oak trees and this mower is the only one I could find that will raise to any height. I can just bump the pedal and get an inch more height to get over tree roots. Before I was doing that with a mechanical pedal and my knee hurts when I think about it.

/ Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #14  
I never ran a 331. Honestly, the primary reason I got the 1211 was the way the deck raise and lower works. I cut around 38 live oak trees and this mower is the only one I could find that will raise to any height. I can just bump the pedal and get an inch more height to get over tree roots. Before I was doing that with a mechanical pedal and my knee hurts when I think about it.

ZD331’s are probably the best HD diesel 72” ever built. They are the precursor to the 1511 but no emissions like on the 1511.

At 31HP and diesel, Mines beast mode. Love it. My son runs it and doesn’t treat it as nice as I do. Currently shows about 2500 hours and no signs of slowing down, but time will eventually take its’ toll and I know a replacement is going to be needed for everyday use.

/ Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #15  
This time, buy the Chinese Racor clone and install a genuine Racor element like I did. ..................snip.......................

They are cheap that's for sure, but be aware that they do not have NPT threaded barb fittings, which is OK as long as you plan on using the barb fittings that come with the chi*com RACOR clones.

NPT 90* ell etc. will not fit without some adjusting (re-tapping ?) which is not a big deal for most of us I think.

Cheap clone:
Barb.png

I replaced the secondary filter on my F3060 with 2 micron filter had both filter housings on my shelf - ended up using genuine RACOR for this reason.

RACOR in F3060:
IMG_6266.JPG

IMG_6267.JPG

Last edited:
   / Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #16  
First thing I did was toss the IFJF filter and replaced it with a Racor even though the reviews I've read on various websites say the the IFJF cartridge is as good as. I don't trust reviews today, too many biased reviews anyway.

Far as the fittings go, I just chucked them in one of my engine lathes and reduced the OD to the ID of the supply hose plus .030, no big deal and as far as the barbs go on the fittings, really not needed as there is no positive pressure in the fuel lines or the fuel polishing unit, it's all negative pressure produced by the fuel pump on the engine.

I did find some of the 'reviews' entertaining. " the fuel bowl melted". Of course it did. It's a Diesel filter not gasoline. The stupidity of some people amaze me.

Finally, I see you can now buy the clone bases with a purge pump built in which will eliminate hand priming of the filter entirely.

Both mine are mounted to the loader upright that is attached to the tractor frame but protected by the upright itself and easy to see as well as drain the bowl and change the filter. Gonna put one on my diesel pickup truck as well but that one will be frame mounted.

/ Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #17  
Sounds good!

Just for the record - F3060 fuel system is little different with the primary filter being on the suction side of electric fuel pump, and the secondary filter is on the positive pressure side.

No idea how much pressure there is, but it must be pretty low.

/ Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #18  
I like my 2016 ZD1211 60" side discharge. I do want to replace it with a new F2690 60" rear discharge, want the flip up deck so I don't have to crawl around on the ground to clean the deck or change the blades. Dealer is going to give me $10,000 to trade mine in, which is fair. Only problem is there are only 2 F2690 machines in Texas, one near San Antonio and one in the Panhandle, not close to East Texas. Both have 72" decks and the dealers are not willing to do a trade with my Kubota dealer. If we order one it is 6 months on the mower and unknown wait time on the 60" deck.

/ Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #19  
I started looking at 1211’s to replace my ZD331.
My concern is the drop off from 31HP to 25HP is going to be noticeable. Kubota says the new 72” deck uses less power. It’s the same 1105 diesel engine, which is probably the best 25-35HP diesel ever built.

What I might do is grab a used 1211 and keep/use the ZD331 for the times we have to cut super tall grass? Make it like a “rough area” mower.

For what my ZD331 would sell for (maybe $7,000???) it isn’t worth selling. They are tanks and built to last a long time.

My F3680 is something that has allowed me to take steep angle cutting tasks on, but it was a lot to spend on a mower that only cuts small steep areas. Unfortunately, mowing contractors aren’t typically paid for mowing a piece of ground where a small percentage is steep.
Replacing my ZD331 with a 25 HP 1211 is not in the cards. I need the power for the tree farm where there is long growth around the trees. The 1211 would likely bog down.

/ Kubota Diesel Zero Turn Questions #20  
Replacing my ZD331 with a 25 HP 1211 is not in the cards. I need the power for the tree farm where there is long growth around the trees. The 1211 would likely bog down.

The 1211’s seem to run a 60” deck happily, but a 72” deck seems the upper limit. I would use it for lawns 98% of the time and keep the 331 around for nasty stuff.