Kubota L3240 vs L3800

/ Kubota L3240 vs L3800 #1  

southernAL

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2510hst
Hello, I'm new to this forum, have been looking and reading on here for a couple weeks now. I am looking into purchasing my first tractor and these are the two I'm looking at right now. I've narrowed it down to Kubota just with the dealer near me and they seem to be tried and tested.

The L3800 would be a brand new tractor, out the door with FEL, box blade and rotary cutter I'm looking at 23k. its looking like i'll have about 5k to put down on that so financing 18k.

The L3240 I found on Craigslist last night is a 2010 model for 13,900. It has 1100 hours on it, but the guy said that it is in great shape and clean machine.

I will be mostly using the tractor on 5 acres clearing off land, grading a horse arena, mowing and really anything. Given these two tractors which one would you choose and why? Just reading on here it seems like the L3240 is a really nice machine and I'm really liking the price on it, but also worried about the weight of it as far as grading the arena. Not sure though, like I said this would be my first tractor purchase and I'm really completely a newbie when it comes to tractors.

Thanks for any replys

/ Kubota L3240 vs L3800 #2  
That looks like a no-brainer to me. Assuming the 3240 isn't a scam. Both have hydro trans and fel? With r4 tires, I doubt the weight will be an issue, but you could always take the fel off if it's too heavy.

/ Kubota L3240 vs L3800 #3  
Well they are two different classes of tractors. The L3800 is a "standard" and the L3240 is a "deluxe". I would have no qualms about the heavier weight of the L3240 on your arena. You did not mention the transmission in either machine. If they are both Hydrostatic, the L3240 will have what Kubota calls HST+ with an advanced 3rd generation Hydro with many very useful features. The L3240 will also have telescoping lower links and stabilizers making 3pt hookups much easier.

You did not mention if the L3240 has a loader or not, but if it does it will likely have Skid Steer Quick Attach on the bucket. The 3pt on the L3800 may or may not be smooth when making small increments of adjustment in the up direction, the L3240 will be. Both are capable machines, the L3800 is going to come with a warranty, (it is last years model by the way) and it is coming with some implements, but of course is costing more.

I would not be too concerned about the hours on the L3240 if it was maintained per the manual. Some users of the L3240 that live in hilly country have mentioned they wish the L3240 would have had a bit more horsepower. Since the L3800 is lighter and has more horsepower to begin with, it will be a bit more agile.

So new Chevrolet or used Cadillac? It is up to you, either will do the work you want to do.

/ Kubota L3240 vs L3800
yea, sorry I forgot to mention, both have HST and FEL and of course 4x4. What makes the HST+ so much better as far as features? and thanks for the replies! the 3240 is not a scam I talked to the guy last night and from the pics it looked to be in nice shape. He also said it has been serviced regularly and the only reason for selling is that he had two tractors and I guess wants to get rid of one

/ Kubota L3240 vs L3800 #5  
yea, sorry I forgot to mention, both have HST and FEL and of course 4x4. What makes the HST+ so much better as far as features? and thanks for the replies! the 3240 is not a scam I talked to the guy last night and from the pics it looked to be in nice shape. He also said it has been serviced regularly and the only reason for selling is that he had two tractors and I guess wants to get rid of one

This video can explain all of the advanced features of HST+ better than a 1000 words.:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzO_-LCd838

/ Kubota L3240 vs L3800 #6  
No doubt the L3240 for the reasons mentioned by James, I was a bit underwhelmed by the HST+ on the lot and first few hours of use, but now love it. The operator's platform is much roomier and it's easier to get on and off, steering brakes are located further to the left and easier to use, cruise control is standard on the GL and can be used like the foot HST pedal, cruise is optional on the L3800 I believe.

/ Kubota L3240 vs L3800 #7  
Did the L3800 have SSQA on the bucket? It is an option on the L3800. That feature will cost about $1000 to add later (and you want it) if it is not included in the original purchase price.

/ Kubota L3240 vs L3800 #8  
No doubt the L3240,very nice all around tractor.I had an earlier version the L3130 4WD,HST,723 Fel.
As long as the maintenance was done on schedule.

/ Kubota L3240 vs L3800 #9  
Can't comment on a difference but for the last two years my L3800HST never let me down for any task.
Now I need to upgrade to much bigger machine due to bigger property and different work load.

/ Kubota L3240 vs L3800
As far as maintenance is concerned, what should I be looking for when I go check it out? is there any weak points on the 3240 that are prone to fail?