Kubota L3800DT pricing

/ Kubota L3800DT pricing #21  
Sean,

I have stumbled onto a used L3400DT that I am trying to decide on. It has the 463A front loader. I expect it has the pin on style bucket, still it is at a very attractive price. Enough so that I am willing to forgoe the Quick Attach if I can swing the finances on it. It is being offered at about half the cost of a new L3800DT with front loader.

I agree with you about needing a front loader. If you have only one tractor, then it should have a loader. I had three tractors at one point, a International Havester 444 utility with a loader, a John Deere "G" and a Farmall "A". The 444 was the work horse, the other two assited.

Kubota does offer rear remotes as an option on new L3800s. It is certainly not cheap, $800 for the first remote. I am not certain if it is dealer installed or factory. I suspect dealer installed. Whether they receive it as a kit I do not know. I think it gets attached to the ROP bar.

If the L3400DT is attractive enough pricewise and is what you want, then remember you can add SSQA to it, it will just take some money and some work.. here is the thread detailing my adding SSQA to my L3400HST a couple of years ago.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/208653-so-you-think-converting-pin.html

James K0UA

/ Kubota L3800DT pricing #22  
Sean,

I have stumbled onto a used L3400DT that I am trying to decide on. It has the 463A front loader. I expect it has the pin on style bucket, still it is at a very attractive price. Enough so that I am willing to forgoe the Quick Attach if I can swing the finances on it. It is being offered at about half the cost of a new L3800DT with front loader.

I agree with you about needing a front loader. If you have only one tractor, then it should have a loader. I had three tractors at one point, a International Havester 444 utility with a loader, a John Deere "G" and a Farmall "A". The 444 was the work horse, the other two assited.

Kubota does offer rear remotes as an option on new L3800s. It is certainly not cheap, $800 for the first remote. I am not certain if it is dealer installed or factory. I suspect dealer installed. Whether they receive it as a kit I do not know. I think it gets attached to the ROP bar.

I'd want to try out the 3pt with something heavy - boxblade or brush hog - just to make sure it isn't a "thumper". Try to move the hitch up and down very slowly and see if you can live witht he result. If it's smooth enough operating, that's a real nice machine.

/ Kubota L3800DT pricing
James,

The physical size, horsepower, 4wd, gear transmission and loader all are what I am seeking, so I hope that this L3400DT works for me and that I can put the deal together. You and Sean convinced me that if I buy new, that I will seek the SSQA. Being as this is used, I will take what I get and be happy. My back is very tired of lifting and digging.

Baby Grand,

I will try out the 3 point under load.

/ Kubota L3800DT pricing #24  
They're really a very good tractor for the money, the only Achilles heel being the 3-point. Some of the early ones were quite bad, mine is livable although it piss*s me off.. They changed the valve several times over the years, mine is not the earliest or the latest version. If it's an 06, that is fairly early production. If it's smooth enough for you, that's all that matters really.

I've modified a few things on mine to improve it, at least for me. I shortened the joystick lever by about 6 inches to make it easier to get on and off on the right side, shortened the main transmission stick on the floor to make it easier to get around with heavy boots on, and trimmed the end off the turn signal knob so my boot tops didn't keep turning it on all the time. A sheet of self-adhesive non-skid on the transmission "hump" stops slipping when you're getting on and off.

I'm working on an idiot light for the parking brake, it's easy to leave it on and drive for a bit before you notice. If you have R1 tires, be sure there's about 36 psi in the fronts if you do any loader work, mine both developed serious bulges in the sidewalls and had to be replaced.

Check the front axle fluid level, they're often a couple quarts low because of the way the bevel gears are designed. You get a false "full" level after filling them until you've run them for a couple days. Unless they're almost empty, it doesn't seem to cause any lasting problems but it's still disconcerting to find the level low.

The suspension seat is often seized solid and may have to be freed up, mine was stuck and it took some serious prying and then leaping on the seat base to get it moving again. Lube is your friend in that case.

Good luck with the hunt, let us know what happens!

Sean

/ Kubota L3800DT pricing #25  
Sean I had forgotten about the suspension seats, and what pure unbridled joy that some of the members expressed in finding out they actually had one, but it was just siezed up, like most of them are if they sat out in the weather for any time. I remember jumping up and down on mine and looking the fool, holding on to the ROPS for support..What fun!:cool2:

/ Kubota L3800DT pricing
Sean,

The used L3400DT is being offered at a price I have to look at, half the cost of a new L3800DT and about $4000 below the average selling price of other L3400s with a loader. It is supposed to be rough looking, but mechanically good. So I expect to be going through it changing fluids, tightening, replacing bolts and what ever else. I may have to add beating the seat into position now. I will add a half dozen cans of spray paint and get a few body panel hammers.

I noticed that the main gear shift stuck up a fair bit in photos. I will have to wait and see if I need to trim it and the joystick. I like your idea of the non-slip on transmission hump. Wheel Horse may have the perfect sized piece from their foot rests.

/ Kubota L3800DT pricing #27  
   / Kubota L3800DT pricing #28  
Sean,

The used L3400DT is being offered at a price I have to look at, half the cost of a new L3800DT and about $4000 below the average selling price of other L3400s with a loader. It is supposed to be rough looking, but mechanically good. So I expect to be going through it changing fluids, tightening, replacing bolts and what ever else. I may have to add beating the seat into position now. I will add a half dozen cans of spray paint and get a few body panel hammers.

I noticed that the main gear shift stuck up a fair bit in photos. I will have to wait and see if I need to trim it and the joystick. I like your idea of the non-slip on transmission hump. Wheel Horse may have the perfect sized piece from their foot rests.

A little wear and tear on the paint and panels is no big deal, it saves you from doing it yourself!

Sean

/ Kubota L3800DT pricing
James,

I like that idea of truck bed coating. I coated a garden tractor dump trailer floor with that 10 years ago. After a few hundred tons of abuse, only now does it need recoating. You are right slip resistant. I like that idea better than the Grand L's rubber floor mat on non-cab tractors. There is always a potential for moisture between the rubber mat and the metal floor panels.

Sean,

I will be primarily concerned with preventing rust. But, my Brother is pretty good at pounding out dents. He has restored our Father's Farmall "F-12" and Farmall "A" to like new condition.

/ Kubota L3800DT pricing
As much as I wanted this to happen this Spring, I cannot pull it off financially. I guess my back will get some more exercise this Summer as I try to complete some jobs I had hoped a tractor could do. The L3400 was priced right, just not for me, yet. Shucks !@#$%^&$#@*