Kubota M6060 vs. L6060 vs. NH T 4.75 vs. JD 5075E

/ Kubota M6060 vs. L6060 vs. NH T 4.75 vs. JD 5075E #41  
Well, you could buy a Kubota mx5100 hst off the lot and have 22 grand left over for a used ag tractor in niceshape, maybe with a couple of implements to go with it. Seems like something in the 65-90hp range would suit you. Tons and tons of farming is still done with "old iron" like that around here. You could get a lot done with 2 machines like that.

I'll let other folks chime in with model recommendations. I grew up farming veggies, so that stuff is bigger than what I'm familiar with. You could also try posing the question separately here, or at another site more tailored to those tractors.

/ Kubota M6060 vs. L6060 vs. NH T 4.75 vs. JD 5075E #42  
It's too bad you might have to sell the 4720 before finding a suitable used ag utility tractor. Looking for a used tractor takes more time/effort than buying new and it sounds like if you let the JD go you won't have much time. I think if you had the time to look you could find 2 good older tractors for well under $50K, or one newer used machine for still well under.

If you go with an older ag tractor in 70-90 HP range you won't need FWD for your tasks, and it's also harder to find FWD in 20+ year old tractors. What are you using for a loader now, the 4720? Your search for used will take more time if you have to look for a tractor/loader combo as your only choice. Also a lot of older tractors used full-frame loaders which take more time to remove and reinstall.

Personally I would stay away from the later model JD 5-cyl tractors since I have heard of a few problems. If you want a newer 5000 series I'd look for a 4-cyl 5425; these are what has basically become the current M series.

Again, if you had the time I would look for older and you can find something in the $10-15K range you mentioned (or less $). Ford 7xxx, 6xxx, IH x66, x86, or JD 2x50 and 2x55 series that were made in 80's-early 90's. These JD made in Germany were very good utilities. Since you're in PA do you subscribe to Lancaster Farming newspaper? Subscribers can search the ads online and of course in the spring they have tons of farm retirement auctions advertised. Hope you find something(s) that meet your needs. I think eventually you may have to think about upgrading the trailer.

You guys may be onto an idea about the older ag tractor for the heavy work. My problem is that i'm not familiar enough with those older models to know what to look for on TractorHouse. Possibly, you could give me some ideas. Here's what I need...a tractor that can do heavy tillage, preferably 4X4, pull a grain drill and have a class I/II or straight class II 3 pt hitch that can lift at least 3300 lbs., AND be relatively easy to transport on a deck over, 12,000 lb trailer, with the attachment to be used. That means that tractor has to weigh in at no more than around 7500-8000 lbs. with ballast and/or weights. AND...have a loader that is relatively heavy duty. The loader won't go to the field so it's weight doesn't have to be factored in for trailering with implements. (We have a firewood business too and need a heavy loader to move logs in the fall and winter)

/ Kubota M6060 vs. L6060 vs. NH T 4.75 vs. JD 5075E #43  
If you decide to buy a used tractor be sure there is not a lein on it. There has been some discussion recently about selling tractors and not paying them off. Some dealers even buy tractors that have a lien against them!

/ Kubota M6060 vs. L6060 vs. NH T 4.75 vs. JD 5075E
If you decide to buy a used tractor be sure there is not a lein on it. There has been some discussion recently about selling tractors and not paying them off. Some dealers even buy tractors that have a lien against them!

Point taken! Good advice!

It's too bad you might have to sell the 4720 before finding a suitable used ag utility tractor. Looking for a used tractor takes more time/effort than buying new and it sounds like if you let the JD go you won't have much time. I think if you had the time to look you could find 2 good older tractors for well under $50K, or one newer used machine for still well under.

If you go with an older ag tractor in 70-90 HP range you won't need FWD for your tasks, and it's also harder to find FWD in 20+ year old tractors. What are you using for a loader now, the 4720? Your search for used will take more time if you have to look for a tractor/loader combo as your only choice. Also a lot of older tractors used full-frame loaders which take more time to remove and reinstall.

Personally I would stay away from the later model JD 5-cyl tractors since I have heard of a few problems. If you want a newer 5000 series I'd look for a 4-cyl 5425; these are what has basically become the current M series.

Again, if you had the time I would look for older and you can find something in the $10-15K range you mentioned (or less $). Ford 7xxx, 6xxx, IH x66, x86, or JD 2x50 and 2x55 series that were made in 80's-early 90's. These JD made in Germany were very good utilities. Since you're in PA do you subscribe to Lancaster Farming newspaper? Subscribers can search the ads online and of course in the spring they have tons of farm retirement auctions advertised. Hope you find something(s) that meet your needs. I think eventually you may have to think about upgrading the trailer.

Do you have any more specific information on the problems related to the 5 cylinder JD engines. Turns out, I've found a 2006 JD 5325 with about 1900 hours on it that I think I can make a deal on. So, I'd like to research these engine issues.

/ Kubota M6060 vs. L6060 vs. NH T 4.75 vs. JD 5075E #46  
Do you have any more specific information on the problems related to the 5 cylinder JD engines. Turns out, I've found a 2006 JD 5325 with about 1900 hours on it that I think I can make a deal on. So, I'd like to research these engine issues.

From my understanding the 5cyl is the exact same engine in your 4720 just with a 5th cylinder added on.

/ Kubota M6060 vs. L6060 vs. NH T 4.75 vs. JD 5075E #47  

The dealers will take them in on trade but will pay off the loan before they sell it. It's the same as if you traded in a car that you still owed money on. Not all tractor dealers will do this though. I know my local Deere dealers will only take in trades that are either paid off or have a loan through John Deere. In other words they won't take a Kubota financed through Kubota credit.

/ Kubota M6060 vs. L6060 vs. NH T 4.75 vs. JD 5075E #48  
The dealers will take them in on trade but will pay off the loan before they sell it. It's the same as if you traded in a car that you still owed money on. Not all tractor dealers will do this though. I know my local Deere dealers will only take in trades that are either paid off or have a loan through John Deere. In other words they won't take a Kubota financed through Kubota credit.

Check out this thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-buying-pricing/314859-two-2-less-payments-kubota.html

/ Kubota M6060 vs. L6060 vs. NH T 4.75 vs. JD 5075E #49  
A little more than a year ago in 2013 there was an estate auction with a JD 5325, 4wd, cab, loader in my area that I was interested in, although I didn't need the loader. The owner had died and the tractor only had 110 hours on it. It sold for a little under $30K.

At the time I did some reading online and found this: John Deere 5225 Shopping -- John Deere Review -- Page 1 and this:

Viewing a thread - 5 cyl in John Deere 5325 any good?

also Viewing a thread - John Deere 5225

Nothing terribly indicting, the one guy seemed to be using it heavy in manure and now that I look back another sounds like a whiner, but there does seem to be concerns about possible electrical issues.

The one poster did mention the 5-cyl versus 4-cyl and the 4-cyl being the older, more heavy duty design. The 4-cyl has replacable wet cylinder liners and is 276 cid versus 180+ cid for the 5-cyl which does not use cylinder liners.

1900 hours isn't a lot if the tractor was maintained properly and not abused but it is at the point where you have to check things thoroughly. I would try to get some feedback from owners on this site who have those kind of hours on a 25 series.

Well, folks, to close out this thread, I wanted to let everyone know where I ended up on this issue. After a lot of searching and number crunching we determined that we would buy used instead of new. I sold my JD 4720 to a gentleman from Malibu, CA and shipped it across country. We found a very nice, lightly used 2012 Kubota L5740 cab tractor at a dealer in New York state and were able to make a deal with them and paid considerably less than we had planned to on a new tractor. With what we saved, we are now planning to purchase a third, and slightly larger tractor but probably won't do so until after the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville, KY next February.

The Kubota had 105 hours on it when we picked it up about three weeks ago and it now has 185 hours on it so yes, we've been working it pretty hard and I'm not disappointed in the least. This week I pulled a disc through heavy clay topsoil for 5 hours on a hot day at 2500 rpm and the AC stayed ice cold and the machine didn't overheat at all. Sorry, but my Deere crapped out on that same challenge twice this season. It was a good tractor for light duty but just not cut out to bust a gut in the dirt.

I want to thank everyone who shared their thoughts on this thread. I got very good input and through all of that ended up with a strategy and a tractor that works for us. It pays to ask questions!
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG