Kubota RTV Facts/Fiction...

/ Kubota RTV Facts/Fiction... #11  
PS, on the "hold back". I took the valve out where people install the coast valve and adjusted the spring out a few turns. Now it won't put our heads into the roll cage if my foot slips off the gas, was this the right adjustment to make?

Wayne

/ Kubota RTV Facts/Fiction...
I am not farmiliar with the coast valve, can anyone show me a picture, or describe where it is installed? If it is what I am thinking, it is the revese side relief valve that you adjusted, and that is the right adjustment. That is what I adjust to make them less aggressive for customers, but be careful not to make it too loose, because any lower than about 1200 psi will cause the pump to cavitate and fail. Also, the transmission should put the power to the ground far better than that. In low range, any rtv should spin the tires with ease.

Matt

/ Kubota RTV Facts/Fiction... #13  
In low range, any rtv should spin the tires with ease.

Matt

I was one of the first people to buy one of the very first RTV900 units that came out. I ended up really liking the unit, but it gave me fits for a while. If I needed to change gears after I'd stopped on a hill, the only viable option was to shut off the engine and then change gears. Kubota was never able to fix that. It got better over time, but clearly was still a defective design.

The other issue was running out of power in low range in 4X4. Without any doubt, any question, any debate, my RTV900 would NOT spin the tires. Whether I was pulling a heavy trailer or just trying to go up a steep hill, the RTV900 would just flat run out of power. I had my dealer and even the Kubota regional manager come out and was able to cause both problems 100% of the time for them. They kept my RTV900 for about 3 weeks and said it was completely normal and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. They said that by adding the 25" Maxxis Bighorn tires on my RTV I was able to get so much traction that the RTV would not be able to spin those tires. The changed the hydro fluid and filter about 3 or 4 times but the jamming in gear on hills never was corrected. The only way to get it out of gear was to shut it off.

Perhaps it was dumb on my part, what they did was work out what I considered a fair deal to trade me up to an RTV1100 in camo. To be fair, the power, even with A/C on, is considerably more and it will always spin the tires in 4X4 low rather than just grunt like the RTV900 did. It still had the "launch everyone through the windshield when you let off the go pedal" problem that the RTV900 had. Basically, I was the only person who would drive it. My wife and kids wouldn't touch it due to it's jerky nature. A little over a year ago I bought a coast valve and it made the biggest difference in an RTV than any other single change ever made. Now my wife and kids love to drive it and it truly is a pleasure to drive. The "release lever" on the dash helps when it's stuck in gear. Kinda cheesy, but I can live with it. My biggest disappointment, by far, was the absolutely pathetic quality control in it's manufacture. Fortunately, it only affected the square tubing frame on the doors. The welds on those doors were the worst welds I've ever seen on any "professional" weld job that I've ever seen in my life. To make it worse, the tubing was a full 1/4" out of alignment where it was welded (very poorly) together.

I took pictures, posted pictures on here, called my dealer, called Kubota, talked to Kubota managers in GA, and even had a Kubota regional manager come by my dealer and look at the door frame on my RTV. Much to my dismay, they all said it was "normal". :eek: I can teach a toddler how to weld better than that in about an hour. The bottom line was that Kubota did NOTHING about the pathetic workmanship in the form of terrible welds. As expected, at about 15 months of ownership I noticed a terrible rattle by my door. Yup, you guessed it, that pathetic excuse of a weld had broken. Being that I gave up on Kubota doing anything, I took the door skin off the frame, took a grinder and ground all the bird doo doo looking weld off the door frame, lined it up properly, and welded it properly myself. While I was at it, I did the same thing to the passenger side door frame before it broke. It's been fine since I made the corrections to the pathetic excuse of the welds from the factory.

Hopefully I don't run across other examples of plain poor workmanship on my Kubota RTV1100. Since Kubota offered me no help at all (and this was like my 5th Kubota product I'd purchased), when I decided to upgrade from my Kubota L5030HSTC I never considered an M class Kubota. I bought a new John Deere tractor and I really like it. I actually like it so much that I will seriously consider a John Deere Gator if they come with a factory cab on a diesel powered Gator. I strongly feel that Kubota kicked me to the curb as a customer and is not interested in keeping my business. Other manufacturer's seem more than happy to compete for my business. Although I really liked the Kubota mini excavator I demo'd, my bad experience with factory Kubota was the deciding factor when I bought a Takeuchi over the Kubota. I take delivery of it next Tuesday.

The only reason I posted this info about how factory Kubota treated me yet again is in hope that they start paying attention to their customer's rather than just blowing them off like they have in the past. Kubota has a great product, but when there are problems Kubota just flat doesn't stand behind their product. If you want to help Kubota, please pass that suggestion on to them. I understand that my local dealer couldn't afford to personally pay to fix my defective RTV1100 when the factory failed to stand behind their product. Unfortunately, I can't patronize that dealer knowing what I know about Kubota.

/ Kubota RTV Facts/Fiction...
This is just another example of the things that I hate so much. I cannot force Kubota to change how they do things, but I can tell them what I think of certain ones (and believe me, I do whenever I get the chance) because the more feedback that they get, the more likely they are to change. Dont get me wrong, the are a good company, but unfortunately it always seems like you need to talk to the right person to get anywhere. On the other side of your problem, you obviously had a dealer that had no clue what they were doing with the rtv's. If your machine had come into my shop, I would have told them about it in the same way that you did, but that is where the similarities end. First of all, your 900 would have been fixed right to begin with and the calls to kubota and the machine would have been gone a day, maximum. Then, on your 1100, if the weld was that bad (obviously it was, it broke) I would have fixed it for you to keep you happy, and then fight myself with kubota to get repaid for the job. The point is not do downplay your experience, but to let others and you know that it does not have to be like this. The whole Kubota line is a top notch product with some small issues, but no more issues than any other product I have worked on. The difference at the end of the day is the people who stand up and fix your concerns and problems, not usually the issue itself. All products have faults and quality controll problems, but it is the service you recieve that makes the ultimate experience.

Thanks for your post and info.
Matt.

/ Kubota RTV Facts/Fiction... #15  
Matt:

Thanks for all your advice! Wish you lived in the Maryland area!

So, is there an easy adjustment to get more power to the wheels? It acts to me like there is a pressure relief valve that needs adjusting?

Also, I drove our last night and today. I can wait until the cows come home with my foot on the brake for the trans pressure to bleed down, and from what I can see on my 08 machine, there is not coupling from the brake to the pressure relief. Wonder if I am missing something?

thanks

Wayne

/ Kubota RTV Facts/Fiction... #16  
I am not farmiliar with the coast valve, can anyone show me a picture, or describe where it is installed?
Matt

Do a search on fleabay for RTV coast valve and one or two are sure to show up. I have often wondered about these. Any light you can shed would be appreciated.

/ Kubota RTV Facts/Fiction... #17  
Here is a pic of the "Coast" Valve. I took the one I bought back out and just adjusted the spring out a few turns. Where and how am I supposed to measure the pressure to make sure it is not below 1200 PSI? More important, how do I get more power to the wheels?
In first gear they should be able to break traction, but can't most of the time.

thanks

Wayne

Attachments

• Coast.jpg
    Coast.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,013
   / Kubota RTV Facts/Fiction... #18  
Help. I need more power in the mud.

/ Kubota RTV Facts/Fiction... #19  
   / Kubota RTV Facts/Fiction... #20  
It is a 500. Transmission slows down when I need it the most. When I am in the mud hole. Is there a way to help this?