Tractor Sizing L series comparison

/ L series comparison
Today we got about 18" of heavy wet snow. My small JD was in the shop getting serviced, so I borrowed my neighbor's 39 HP Montana tractor. One thing I noticed was that the R4 tires on his much larger and heavier tractor spun on the slick spots and lost traction more than my little 20 HP tractor with R1 tires. Of course the larger unit was more stable, comfortable and got the job done quicker. But interesting about the traction. Also the rear tires on my 4100 are loaded, while his are not.

/ L series comparison #22  
Loaded tires certainly help. But r4's do suck in snkw compared to r1's

/ L series comparison #23  
Loaded tires certainly help. But r4's do suck in snkw compared to r1's

That is why I put on the chains in the last week of November.:) Of course we haven't needed them. In fact we don't need a tractor. A boat would be a nice accessory here in Missouri about now.

/ L series comparison #24  
That is why I put on the chains in the last week of November.:) Of course we haven't needed them. In fact we don't need a tractor. A boat would be a nice accessory here in Missouri about now.

Would you mount that on your 3-point or would that be a attachment for the FEL?

/ L series comparison #26  
Thanks for the suggestion. But late model used tractors are pretty much non-existent where I live. I have dealers that sell new, and we see lots of older, very well used tractors, but that's about it. The lack of the emissions equipment is why I was considering the L2501, but I'm still wondering if I would want the extra HP. I suspect that the 2501 would serve my needs well, because the only ground-engaging work I do is with my rototiller and one-bottom plow. I can marginally operate the plow, and the rototiller works fine with my current smaller tractor. But on the other hand, I would hate to be sorry, just to save a few thousand $.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9749247

/ L series comparison #27  
I own a L3901 and love it. Run a bush hog and have LA525 loader. I quickly learned that weight was needed. I have sloping ground and with out it I was tippy feeling. I added Rim Guard to my R1 tires which added over 500lbs of weight. Huge difference. I have pushed two snows with my loader this week. 9in and 5 inch. Never had an issue with traction in 4wd. I am trying to get a rear blade to use as well but no luck so far. Good luck on your decision.

/ L series comparison #28  
   / L series comparison #29  
That's a nice one for sure. I'd rather have that than a 2501 or a 3901. I was quoted right about $20k for an identical l3800 when I was shopping. Seems like you get a decent amount off the price tag for the 130 hours on it.

I believe what it comes down to is that it's not "NEW". That tractor will probably sell for the same money with another 500 hours on it in 5 years.

Kevin