Tractor Sizing L series comparison

/ L series comparison #31  
The L series do not have clearance for tire chains unless you buy spacers. The spacers are around $300 and chains seem to be around $500 for that size.

I grooved my R4's and along with weighted tires and ballast have had good traction for plowing, but not in deep snow in the woods.

/ L series comparison
The L series do not have clearance for tire chains unless you buy spacers. The spacers are around $300 and chains seem to be around $500 for that size.

I grooved my R4's and along with weighted tires and ballast have had good traction for plowing, but not in deep snow in the woods.

So where do the spacers go? Do you mean that they offset the wheels so that they extend beyond the fender? What about reversing the wheels so they make a wider stance?

/ L series comparison

I just googled the wheel spacers and see what you are talking about. It looks like it would make for a wider stance and more stability. But I'm wondering if it would also put strain on the wheel hub/axles over time? Especially with loaded tires?

/ L series comparison #34  
Shortest possible answer: Kubota has them available as a factory part. Many here have spacers. I believe OEM is 2", not sure.

image-XL.jpg

Grooved R4's.
image-L.jpg

Last edited:
   / L series comparison #35  
Rims for R4 tires can't be offset like R1 rims. Not sure about R1s, but on my L3200, there is 1", maybe less between the tire & fender. Spacers sit between the rims & the axle & increase the width of the axle.

/ L series comparison #36  
Notice the grooved R4 tires on the above photo that Garandman posted. Many users report much improved traction by grooving their R4 tires. When I had a L3400 I grooved my R4 tires, but we only had one small "rabbit tracking" snow to try them before I traded off the tractor. I felt it helped quite a bit, but we just didn't have enough snow to be sure. The concept of how it works is that snow on snow offers good traction. where rubber on snow does not. The grooves pick up and hold snow in the grooves and it acts as a traction device against the snow on the ground. This is why most users report better traction in snow from R3 tires than R4 tires in that the R3 tires have many grooves to pickup and hold snow. As for ice though, I don't think anything works as well as a good set of chains.

/ L series comparison #38  
So do the grooves help any/much with mud or sand?

In all of my reading, and personal observation in using them in mud, the answer is no. The grooves seem to fill with mud just as they do with snow, and mud does not seem to gain any traction against mud. This is where R1 tires show their superiority in the ability to sling the mud out of their much larger spaces and "self clean".

/ L series comparison #39  
In all of my reading, and personal observation in using them in mud, the answer is no. The grooves seem to fill with mud just as they do with snow, and mud does not seem to gain any traction against mud. This is where R1 tires show their superiority in the ability to sling the mud out of their much larger spaces and "self clean".

I was afraid of that just had to ask;)

Was trying to get out of using chains for a little logging I have to do this jan/feb:)

/ L series comparison #40  
The R-4 tires on our old L3130 were on two piece rims, like the L3800 in the ad, and they were reversible to change the spacing. Someone with a L3800 manual should chime in.

Our present L3400 has turfs, on one piece rims, and I added Kubota spacers for tire chain clearance. The L3400 rear end is beefy, and the extra 1.75" per side shouldn't create any stress issues. It does help with clearance, stability, and that manly "wide stance" look. Spacers and chains can be had for much less than the $800 that was mentioned, with a little luck. Even so, they will provide traction to get the job done!