L2501. Can't see line on sight glass...over filled!

/ L2501. Can't see line on sight glass...over filled! #1  

rhuffie

Tractor
Kubota 3902 Had to give up my beloved 1952 Cat 12 motor grader
L2501 Kubota compact tractor 25HP. Can't see the line on the sight glass...so I added some UDT... I added a half gallon at a time and then re-checked to look for the line...until it overflowed. At no point could I see the line on the sight glass! Now it is filled to just below the filler opening...so if I use my pinky as a dip stick there is about 3'4' of oil. If I drain some out I propbably still won't be able to see the line and so....is there a better way to determine how much UDT to add?

/ L2501. Can't see line on sight glass...over filled! #3  
L2501 Kubota compact tractor 25HP. Can't see the line on the sight glass...so I added some UDT... I added a half gallon at a time and then re-checked to look for the line...until it overflowed. At no point could I see the line on the sight glass! Now it is filled to just below the filler opening...so if I use my pinky as a dip stick there is about 3'4' of oil. If I drain some out I propbably still won't be able to see the line and so....is there a better way to determine how much UDT to add?
Had same issue with our L2800HST also had to drain and start over :rolleyes: whatever you drain only add half back and slowly add quart and keep checking...pita.

/ L2501. Can't see line on sight glass...over filled! #4  
It's just about impossible to see the UDT/SUDT/SUDT2 fluid against that shiny dip stick that Kubota uses.
I did two things that help.
First try was a quarter inch wood dowel rod with notches cut to match the markings on the tractor dip stick. The fluid level shows up better on the raw wood.

Then inspiration: I washed the dip stick, took it over to the kitchen stove top and briefly dipped it in the flame until the steel changed color & then quenched it. Now I can see the fluid against the blued steel.
It didn't take much heat. The top didn't even get warm.

Transmission Oil DIPSTICK Mod _ arrow.jpg

Last edited:
   / L2501. Can't see line on sight glass...over filled! #5  
You can always buy oil dye and add it as well. JD sells it and it's on Amazon too.

/ L2501. Can't see line on sight glass...over filled!
Drain it and refill watching the sight glass carefully. Have a helper fill and you watch.
Why not drain our part of it using the drain plug and watch it as it drains out..putting the plug back in when I see the line appear? IS it so delicate that it will overfill with a quart?

If I turn the tractor on with it overfilled, a little or a lot, will the tractor get damaged?

You can always buy oil dye and add it as well. JD sells it and it's on Amazon too.
Oil die?...hmmm...I like it...thanks!
It's just about impossible to see the UDT/SUDT/SUDT2 fluid against that shiny dip stick that Kubota uses.
I did two things that help.
First try was a quarter inch wood dowel rod with notches cut to match the markings on the tractor dip stick. The fluid level shows up better on the raw wood.

Then inspiration: I washed the dip stick, took it over to the kitchen stove top and briefly dipped it in the flame until the steel changed color & then quenched it. Now I can see the fluid against the blued steel.
It didn't take much heat. The top didn't even get warm.

View attachment 765762
Why doesn't my Kubota have a dip stick? The older Ls do...it's a much better method of checking fluid levels IMO!

/ L2501. Can't see line on sight glass...over filled! #9  
Don't remember if there is a line in that sight gauge, but start draining it until you can see the oil level drop in the gauge. Half to 3/4 in the gauge is fine. Operators manual should tell you. I've never had a problem seeing the oil in the gauge. It has a slight tan color to it.

It's filled to the top and I can't see a difference in the color on the glass...it still looks white. Will using it overfilled damage the tractor?