L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #11  
One advantage to the L5740 over your current tractor is the HST plus and auto throttle. Any tractor is going to bog down going up hills and fluid in the tires makes it worse, but you need it.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #12  
I like the HST over shuttle for loader work. My 580K has shuttle and it's not bad but if you just idle the engine the hydraulic flow is kind of slow, if you rev it up too much you start to spin the tires, so it's kind of a balancing act between engine rpm and how much power you want to go to the wheels. Case realized this so they put a button on the fel lever that when pushed the transmission goes into neutral. Of course that means you have no forward pushing power. With the HST tire speed is not coupled to the engine speed. It's not that big of a deal and both work fine, I just like the HST more.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040
My main concern obviously is the HST, or rather lack of it. I keep thinking that it won't be long before one of the big tractor companies come out with a utility sized tractor with HST, but of course that may very well not happen and like you guys said, my biggest regret will be waiting too long to upgrade. If the M7040 has an HST tranny I would probably have one in my yard already!

I don't know why I'm so indecisive about giving up the HST tranny, I guess because I like operating the tractor so much with it.

I went to the local Kubota dealer to check out and drive a cab 7040 (after calling to confirm they had one on the lot) an when I got there the salesman went out to "find" the tractor and realized its at they're other location. I really need to drive one because I can't fairly decide which way I wanna go without giving it a test drive. I was aggravate when I showed up and the only M series they had was a basic 6040 2 wd with standard shuttle.

I would certainly want the hydro shuttle an I'm slowly realizing (thank to you guys) that in order to see an appreciable difference in power and performance I'm going to need to step up to the plate and give up my beloved HST :)

Of course, once I definitely make the decision to go up a frame size I'll have to start checking out the Deere, kioti, NH, and other equivalents.

One thing I didn't realize was that the M series is a lot more stable and better riding than the L, I'm glad you guys pointed that our because I DO have a LOT of hills on my property.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #14  
I looked at the 7040 when buying my 5740. It came down to maneuverability to me. The 5740 is definitely more the nimble of the two. The 7040 is a bigger frame size and has a bigger turning radius. The added loader capacity is really nice, but not needed for me. So I chose the 5740. In my application it is the best balance of power and maneuverability.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #15  
Implements will be more expensive for a M7040 too.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #16  
I'll probably get in trouble for saying this in the Kubota forum but how about a John Deere 4520. It is hydro and the loader will lift 2300lbs.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #17  
I'll probably get in trouble for saying this in the Kubota forum but how about a John Deere 4520. It is hydro and the loader will lift 2300lbs.

We looked at the 4000 Series and they really are nice tractors.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #19  
How did they compare price wise to the Grand L?

We didn't price it, I can't used brakes on the left, so it really wasn't an option. It had features I liked such as the economy PTO, direct injection and pressurized cab.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040
I have nothing against the Deere and in some cases prefer it, especially the economy pto, I could see using that almost all the time except with the stumpgrinder and eventually chipper. However, it's no more capable than a 5740, they're really quite comparable and lift capacities are within a couple hundred pounds, maybe less, so no real advantage one over the other, more just personal preference for ergonomics and color.

I do really like both of those tractors!