L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040
Martian said:
That's why I'd suggest getting rid of the 410... You'll still have your big tractor in replacement of the 410, but have the smaller 4610 with the beloved HST tranny as well. Then your replacing apples to apples and keeping the same power/size, just with a PTO and 3ph. How often do you use the backhoe itself? I suppose if you use it a lot it wouldn't be as feasible, but if you could rent a mini ex when you need it, it could be a viable option.

As far as tractor lift capacity goes - in the books it might say one out lifts the other, but in the rear world you'll never know. Some people get to into the books in my opinion. A comparable tractor will do comparable work and won't out lift the other by such a margin.

Martian, I didn't realize before that you meant to keep my current tractor and upgrade the 410. That is an excellent idea actually. Unfortunately, I really can't get rid of it as my dad and I own it together and he wouldn't be too fond of the idea.

Regarding lift capacity, I know for a fact that the Deere can't lift an honest 500lbs over the kubota but I just went along with it to "pacify" the posters who say so. I figured otherwise this would turn into another useless Deere vs kubota thread. :)

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #32  
You have to go by the specs loosely. I know in some cases tractors will lift almost double what they are supposed to.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #33  
Martian, I didn't realize before that you meant to keep my current tractor and upgrade the 410. That is an excellent idea actually. Unfortunately, I really can't get rid of it as my dad and I own it together and he wouldn't be too fond of the idea.

Regarding lift capacity, I know for a fact that the Deere can't lift an honest 500lbs over the kubota but I just went along with it to "pacify" the posters who say so. I figured otherwise this would turn into another useless Deere vs kubota thread. :)

Makes sense. Looks like you have some decisions to make then. Get trying out some of the larger tractors then, another CUT won't help you, so see if you can learn to love another type of transmission. I think you'll be able to get used to it, especially having the 410 already.

You have to go by the specs loosely. I know in some cases tractors will lift almost double what they are supposed to.

. . . and in other times they list half of what they are supposed too! :laughing:

Last edited:
   / L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #34  
. . . and in other times they list half of what they are supposed too! :laugh:

I have not had that happen with any I have owned but I could see that happening with some brands.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #35  
I have not had that happen with any I have owned but I could see that happening with some brands.

I really hadn't experienced this either, but more to point out that depending what were doing, manufacturer spec's can be way different than what we experience...

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #36  
I think the 7040 will suit your needs,its does everything I throw at them. I think maybe even the 6040 would work,save you around $1500,they are same size tractors. I run a 15ft/12ft/8ft cutters on cple hundred acres with mine,I also unload a ton of feed on pallets every winter,feed 100 round bales,pulls 5x4 round baler,you name it,its done it around the place. The 2012 7040 has close to 500 trouble free hrs on it and the new one has 125 so far,the new one has a horn:D both mine have the shuttle shift.
7040's side by side.JPGnew7040 tire change.JPG

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040
Foreman, I didn't realize you upgraded! So now you have 2 7040 cabs eh?
Did you trade in your others?

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #38  
Foreman, I didn't realize you upgraded! So now you have 2 7040 cabs eh?
Did you trade in your others?

Yeah traded the M5040 that I had for about year in on another 7040 and kept the older 7040. I thought really hard about the 8540/8560 but I have been getting by just fine with the 7040 and didnt wont to pay another 6,000,after buying the hay equipment this year too. I did add larger front tires, widen the new one out,and added extra remote.
The M's get around really good for there size but they are going to need some weight on back.I have one with loaded rears and one without and the difference is alot....

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #39  
I just started investigating the M series a few months ago. There's a lot of difference between the M7040 and the M8540. The M7040 didn't feel stable to me. I liked the feel of the bigger chassis on the M85/9540 much better. The M9540 also has a size bigger tire. But you add considerable cost as well. I'm currently buying my third tractor in ten years. Partly because the workload has increased. But mostly because I bought too small. Twice..... :(

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #40  
The 7040 in the picture without the loader on,im running the 8540/9540 front tires and the photo with both the 7040's in it,the new one is alot wider and way more stable. I been mowing places I would have never taking the older 7040,not that it wouldnt have made it threw there,but just the feeling in the seat I wasnt comfortable.Examples mowing the pond damns, slopes down to the water line, steep ditches and I think some of it has to do with taking the loader off and the loaded tires..