L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #21  
I have nothing against the Deere and in some cases prefer it, especially the economy pto, I could see using that almost all the time except with the stumpgrinder and eventually chipper. However, it's no more capable than a 5740, they're really quite comparable and lift capacities are within a couple hundred pounds, maybe less, so no real advantage one over the other, more just personal preference for ergonomics and color.

I do really like both of those tractors!

The loader will lift 500lbs mores on the deere.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #22  
Piston, forgive me if you've already stated in other posts, but what exactly do you plan on doing with the larger tractor that you won't be able to accomplish with your current set-up?

I looked up the specs on Tractor Data of your 4610. Looks like it's slightly more powerful than my 110, though a little less lifting capacity. I can tell you that I can definitely tell the difference in power between my 85HP 5410 and my 43HP 110 - the 5410 is 1HP shy of being double the power!! That said, I would MUCH rather drive my 110 all day than my 5410 for things like loader work. The HST transmission is much better in my opinion for that sort of work. If I'm mowing a field, I'll take my 5410, because you just shift it in gear and let it go, the tractor never think to bog down with all the power behind it and tackling any sort of a hill is done with ease.

My $.02 say that you need too look even larger than a M7040. In that range there's the Deere 4720, which is only a couple HP less, and a HST transmission, SL loader which will lift more. But I DON'T think any of those would be a worthy upgrade if your only upgrading for more power, and not what most of us do in wanting something newer with a couple more features and say, "yeah I really notice that .3HP power difference!" If your going to put the money into a bigger machine, I think you'd want an M8540 sized or larger. For the amount more, that 15 more HP will be very noticeable and be worth it in my opinion.

Take this for what it's worth. I know I wouldn't give up having a HST tractor for anything. They are just easier to operate, but if you need the power, I'd think about trading in that 410, renting a mini ex when you need it and buying a 85HP utility M8540 or similar.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040
The loader will lift 500lbs mores on the deere.

I did not realize the deere could lift that much more, I thought it was closer to 1 or 200 lbs. 500lbs is fairly substantial.

Martian,
I should mention that I don't really NEED a bigger tractor and there aren't a whole lot of things my 4610 isn't capable of doing, that I want to do.

The main reason I want more power for the FEL is for log handling. I have a sawmill and do all my log handling with my grapple. The logs I lift are pushing the limits of my tractor, actually some push the limits of the 410 but those are few and far between! I mill long timbers for my timberframing hobby which is why I can't cut the logs shorter and reduce the weight of them. I've also been unhappy with the breakout force of the loader, not because the tractor doesn't do what it's supposed to, just because I'm asking more of it than I should.

I'd like to get a 3pt hitch logging grapple and worry about the stress on the toplink being too much for my tractor. A 700lb logging grapple that sticks out 3 or 4', plus the weight of a large oak might be pushing my limits.

I would like some more weight/traction for ground engaging work in the woods, using the box blade and scarifiers. I can easily stop my 4610 with 1100lbs of rimguard and the 1,000lb box blade when the scarifiers are down. Although, I realize if I had Ag's this might help quite a bit with the traction.

Power wise, I want more PTO power for a heavier duty rotary mower as well as my stump grinder. I also will be buying a hydro feed chipper in the future (as $$$ allows) and many of the 6" chippers are rated upwards of 60-90hp.

At the same time, I don't wanna go TOO big. I would really like to hang on to the 410 as that machine is worth it's weight in gold and has really helped me out a lot. It's nice having two machines as you know. The obvious compromise is the bigger and more capable you go power wise, the less maneuverable you get. I'm trying to figure out that 'sweet spot' in the compromise, although I probably never will as I know there is no perfect do it all tractor :D

The main issue is I'm really stuck on the HST tranny, but I'm slowly realizing that I can do without, and if I realize I can't do without, I could always downsize again in the future when the majority of my heavy work and log handling work is over. (I'm in the beginning stages of clearing/building a house on my forested land in hilly NH) Then again, I'll probably be done with the house long before I make a decision on what tractor to buy :laughing:

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #24  
You can never have to much power .The ' L ' is a good Landscaping tractor . The ' M' is far and beyond a better tractor,. I have an older M5400 I would never look back at the L M all around beefier

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #25  
I'm not so sure about the Deere loader. They say it will lift 2194 lbs at the pin yet 500mm in front of the pin it will lift 2339 lbs. A Deere dealer was bragging about it yet to me physics say you can't lift more further away from the tractor so I looked into it. This is what I found out. It turns out that measurement is at max lift height (to me a useless measurement).
John*Deere 400CX Loader Loading and Digging Attachment JohnDeere.com
If you look at the Deere loader they also give a measurement at 59 inches off the ground. At that position the max lift at the pivot is 2627 lbs and 500mm in front is 2576 lbs, slightly less but not by much. Deere will not tell you how much it will lift when on the ground, Kubota does. That's why the 854 loader 500mm position is 600 lbs (1878lbs) less than at the pivot (2489lbs). To me Kubota gives a real world measurement. The Deere loader may lift more than the Kubota but since you are not comparing measurements at the same position you really have no idea. The only measurement they both share is breakout force 500mm in front of the pivot. The 400CX says it will do 3159lbs while the LA854 will do 3267 lbs. What I do know is that when on level ground physics say a loader will lift less weight the further you get away from the pivot.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #26  
I'm not so sure about the Deere loader. They say it will lift 2194 lbs at the pin yet 500mm in front of the pin it will lift 2339 lbs. A Deere dealer was bragging about it yet to me physics say you can't lift more further away from the tractor so I looked into it. This is what I found out. It turns out that measurement is at max lift height (to me a useless measurement).
If you look at the Deere loader they also give a measurement at 59 inches off the ground. At that position the max lift at the pivot is 2627 lbs and 500mm in front is 2576 lbs, slightly less but not by much. Deere will not tell you how much it will lift when on the ground, Kubota does. That's why the 854 loader 500mm position is 600 lbs (1878lbs) less than at the pivot (2489lbs). To me Kubota gives a real world measurement. The Deere loader may lift more than the Kubota but since you are not comparing measurements at the same position you really have no idea. The only measurement they both share is breakout force 500mm in front of the pivot. The 400CX says it will do 3159lbs while the LA854 will do 3267 lbs. What I do know is that when on level ground physics say a loader will lift less weight the further you get away from the pivot.

Great post CrazyAl! That makes a lot of sense to me. I always appreciate it when people dig into the data to cut through the marketing. :proposetoast:

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #27  

I thought it was odd one would way out lift the other.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #28  
youll be money ahead buying the 7040 hydro shift tractor,an i think youll enjoy running the hydro shift tractor.an you might look at the 8540 as the 7040 is on the hp edge of running your future equipment buys.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #29  
- CUT -

At the same time, I don't wanna go TOO big. I would really like to hang on to the 410 as that machine is worth it's weight in gold and has really helped me out a lot. It's nice having two machines as you know. The obvious compromise is the bigger and more capable you go power wise, the less maneuverable you get. I'm trying to figure out that 'sweet spot' in the compromise, although I probably never will as I know there is no perfect do it all tractor :D

- CUT -

That's why I'd suggest getting rid of the 410... You'll still have your big tractor in replacement of the 410, but have the smaller 4610 with the beloved HST tranny as well. Then your replacing apples to apples and keeping the same power/size, just with a PTO and 3ph. How often do you use the backhoe itself? I suppose if you use it a lot it wouldn't be as feasible, but if you could rent a mini ex when you need it, it could be a viable option.

As far as tractor lift capacity goes - in the books it might say one out lifts the other, but in the rear world you'll never know. Some people get to into the books in my opinion. A comparable tractor will do comparable work and won't out lift the other by such a margin.

/ L4610 vs. L5740 vs. M7040 #30  
..............As far as tractor lift capacity goes - in the books it might say one out lifts the other, but in the rear world you'll never know. Some people get to into the books in my opinion. A comparable tractor will do comparable work and won't out lift the other by such a margin.

Agree 100%.