Laying Water pipe

/ Laying Water pipe #12  
You might consider using the Blue Poly instead of PVC. It comes in 300' rolls and driving on it and freezing isn't much of an issue. Also no couplings to leak. I like it also because you can turn the water on and test your end fittings before you cover it up. My 2 cents.

/ Laying Water pipe #13  
I am in Florida, perhaps a little closer to your climate.

I am also in the irrigation business.

We bury our 1" line with a "ground saw" It cuts a 2" wide trench up to 13" deep and piles the lose dirt next to the ditch. If you have any roots to go through, the saw cuts them also.

If there are no roots to deal with, a "vibra-plow" (or pipe-puller) is another way to go. It will pull the pipe in to a depth about 15" without leaving a ditch to fill.

You should be able to rent either from a good rental place.

If the pipe is going to be in an area that is driven over and your soil is or gets soft (like when it rains), you may want to use the backhoe to bury the pipe so you can lay it 24" or so. That will protect the pipe from the weight of things driving over it.

One other thought ... if you think you will ever need to find that line in the future and are concerned that you may not remember exactly where it runs, bury a single strand buriable wire along with the pipe with a small coil at each end where the pipe ends. This way, a "locator" can be used to locate the pipe run in the future.

/ Laying Water pipe #14  
I have plowed in lots of PVC pipe with my subsoiler. Beats the heck out of trenching because its faster and cleaner. No backfilling or settling like with a trench. One pass and you're done. I have pulled as much as 900 feet of 1" pipe at a time. I don't like roll pipe.

I have sandy loam ground and I can lay it 10-12 inches deep in one pass. If you have a small tractor or hard ground you will have to make a dry run or two before you pull the pipe at full depth.

Just weld a ring to the back of your subsoiler foot, drill a hole in a PVC cap, run the rope through the hole and tie a knot in it, glue up your pipe, and tie it to the subsoiler and you're ready to go.

/ Laying Water pipe #15  
I made something similar to a subsoiler that I could put into the 2" receiver I have on my ballast box. I had to reinforce it because it was bending but it got the job done in a quick & clean fashion. The ballast box kept the pipe from raising. You could hear it cut through the roots and one root I hit must have been thick because the tractor wheels started to spin. I was going very slow.

/ Laying Water pipe #16  
I use a home made "Pickle fork", easy to make could be used on a front end loader. I use mine on a back hoe. Its good for a little over 12" and it will work in rocks & cut roots if not too large. Yours could be made a little longer if need be.

Attachments

• pickle fork 1.jpg
    pickle fork 1.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 1,293
  • pickle fork 3.jpg
    pickle fork 3.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 1,188
   / Laying Water pipe #17  
ive used a 2 row bottom plow took one blade off laid the grass back about 12 inches deep came back laid the grass back in couldnt even tell there was a ditch there but this was in alabama no rocks or big roots

/ Laying Water pipe #18  
I used a pipe bender to make an attachment for continuous trenching with a subsoiler. It worked great for my 600' line to a field hydrant. I used 100psi 1" coil pipe and I get good flow to the hydrant. We put the sections of pipe together with the hose barb style couplings and ran them thru the subsoiler, then put the hose clamps on in the trench. I made a dry run cutting along the path to help the depth and make sure there were no surprises before I laid the pipe. The pics are of a borrowed subsoiler but I have also bolted the same attachment to a KK subsoiler with similar results. I put some Yellow 77 in the funnel to lube the pipe.

Attachments

• IMG_3350.jpg
    IMG_3350.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 2,584
  • IMG_3363.jpg
    IMG_3363.jpg
    639.2 KB · Views: 13,733
  • IMG_3356.jpg
    IMG_3356.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 1,221
   / Laying Water pipe #19  
"Rocky Top"?

We actually named our road "Rocky Ridge Rd". The rock is even more of a problem when there's high winds like the tornados a few weeks ago. We figure we have about 300 trees down. They can only root a few feet deep at the most before they hit the rock. Over years, they gradually fracture it and send down little roots, but not strong enough to withstand 100mph or more.

But that rocksaw was really awesome! It would make about 2-3 ft/minute in most places at a depth of about 3-4 ft. Laying in 1/2 mile of 2" pipe with it cost about the same as drilling a well.

/ Laying Water pipe #20  
I built this. Haven't tried it yet. It started out life as a KK middlebuster. I added the tooth, and conduit, etc.

Attachments

• P3120108.JPG
    P3120108.JPG
    938.3 KB · Views: 3,544
  • P3120109.JPG
    P3120109.JPG
    988.6 KB · Views: 1,567
  • P3120110.jpg
    P3120110.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 1,715
  • P3120111.JPG
    P3120111.JPG