Laying Water pipe

/ Laying Water pipe #21  
That looks really well built Jim. Can I borrow it? ;)

/ Laying Water pipe #22  
I built this. Haven't tried it yet. It started out life as a KK middlebuster. I added the tooth, and conduit, etc.

Looks good for coiled pipe Jim, and I have the same stuff available including the galvinized conduit sweeps and subsoiler gathering dust. Think I will copy your design. Thanks for posting the pics.

Normally I use a backhoe and bury my lines about 24" deep using pvc pipe but I have two dry spots in my lawn that I would rather not dig up.

/ Laying Water pipe #23  
I built this. Haven't tried it yet. It started out life as a KK middlebuster. I added the tooth, and conduit, etc.

It's easier to just pull PVC pipe with a subsoiler plus PVC is better pipe with better fittings. I've done it with both types.

/ Laying Water pipe #24  

Looks nicely designed. Try running it before trying to install anything. I found with mine I needed to add weight to keep it running deep. There's a lot of drag created by the vertical shaft that might cause it to run up. Probably why the other pictures show the use of all the suitcase weights.

/ Laying Water pipe #25  
We actually named our road "Rocky Ridge Rd". The rock is even more of a problem when there's high winds like the tornados a few weeks ago. We figure we have about 300 trees down. They can only root a few feet deep at the most before they hit the rock. Over years, they gradually fracture it and send down little roots, but not strong enough to withstand 100mph or more.

But that rocksaw was really awesome! It would make about 2-3 ft/minute in most places at a depth of about 3-4 ft. Laying in 1/2 mile of 2" pipe with it cost about the same as drilling a well.

JRobyn,

You have any more info on the rocksaw? I am in the process of building in Wilson County TN and am going to have to lay about 1800' of 2" pvc.

Gosh I envy those of you who can just dig and it be DIRT!

Thanks,
Nick

/ Laying Water pipe #26  
JRobyn,

You have any more info on the rocksaw? I am in the process of building in Wilson County TN and am going to have to lay about 1800' of 2" pvc.

Gosh I envy those of you who can just dig and it be DIRT!

Thanks,
Nick

Hi Nick. Sent you a PM.

/ Laying Water pipe #27  
I was unable to locate my well near my garden. I tried, but could not find water by the garden. I ended up putting my well points (4 points) along a swamp about 350 feet from the garden. I'm using a sprinkler pump that can pump up to 45GPM. Now I need to run a water line about 350 feet.

My goal is to have as much water volume/pressure as possible because I want to be able to run all of my garden sprinklers at one time. 4 - 6 sprinklers and I need them to throw water as far as possible.

So...that being said...I'm going to run 2 inch water line from the pump to the garden. I was going to buy the black polyethylene tubing that comes in 100 foot rolls and is used for underground sprinklers. But I'm a bit concerned after reading this forum. Some folks were saying that the black stuff only lasts about 5 years and is prone to splitting? I am in Minnesota. I was thinking of burying it about 12 inches deep and then blowing the line out in the fall.

Some people were recommending trenching and running the white schedule 40 PVC (10 foot sections with couplers). Is it really worth doing that? Its a lot of extra work and time to run it that way. But I want it to last for 20+ years...

Would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!

/ Laying Water pipe #28  
I was unable to locate my well near my garden. I tried, but could not find water by the garden. I ended up putting my well points (4 points) along a swamp about 350 feet from the garden. I'm using a sprinkler pump that can pump up to 45GPM. Now I need to run a water line about 350 feet.

My goal is to have as much water volume/pressure as possible because I want to be able to run all of my garden sprinklers at one time. 4 - 6 sprinklers and I need them to throw water as far as possible.

So...that being said...I'm going to run 2 inch water line from the pump to the garden. I was going to buy the black polyethylene tubing that comes in 100 foot rolls and is used for underground sprinklers. But I'm a bit concerned after reading this forum. Some folks were saying that the black stuff only lasts about 5 years and is prone to splitting? I am in Minnesota. I was thinking of burying it about 12 inches deep and then blowing the line out in the fall.

Some people were recommending trenching and running the white schedule 40 PVC (10 foot sections with couplers). Is it really worth doing that? Its a lot of extra work and time to run it that way. But I want it to last for 20+ years...

Would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!
I would just use Black plastic pipe that comes in coils.
I put in over 350 feet of it in here when I set up my place in 1971 .
Have only had 3 leaks in it.
Thats not bad for 40 years of use.

/ Laying Water pipe #29  
Hey MNBobcat,

I would use PVC and plow it in. PVC is better pipe and most important - it has MUCH better fittings that don't leak.

Make a dry run or two with your subsoiler to loosen the soil. Then pre-assemble your pipe and plow away. Make a pulling head by drilling a hole in a PVC cap and run a rope through it and knot it to pull the pipe.

I've done it this way many times. First time I tried plowing pipe was with roll pipe and then I tried PVC and there's no contest.

gabby

/ Laying Water pipe #30  
Hey MNBobcat,

I would use PVC and plow it in. PVC is better pipe and most important - it has MUCH better fittings that don't leak.

Make a dry run or two with your subsoiler to loosen the soil. Then pre-assemble your pipe and plow away. Make a pulling head by drilling a hole in a PVC cap and run a rope through it and knot it to pull the pipe.

I've done it this way many times. First time I tried plowing pipe was with roll pipe and then I tried PVC and there's no contest.

gabby

Thanks guys.

Gabby -- I would have 3-4 splices with the black poly. The PVC would require about 35 couplings.

When you plow in the PVC, what keeps the couplings from getting hung up on the subsoiler as it feeds through the ring/guide? I'm having trouble envisioning how that would work.

What is it that you like about the PVC that makes it easier to plow in? Is it easier to handle because you're not dealing with a big roll?

Thanks! Really appreciate all of the replies and suggestions!