Length of chain

/ Length of chain #11  
Richard - Yes, the double-choker works well for grabbing individual logs on each end, but I generally pull as many logs in each loop as I can conveniently get. You'll find that the square-link choker chain bites into the log a lot better than the round link (that's the reason for the square links), so it'll be a lot more effective at dragging logs without losing them.

If you've got more than one choker chain, you can even grab several bundles and attach the choker chains to a single pull chain using the "chain shorteners". If I'm pulling stuff a long ways, I'll try to line up several or more piles along the route, and stop off at each pile and pick it up using this method.

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Length of chain #12  
Rob - The ring you're talking about is usually called a grab ring, I think. Labonville sells them too. They're very handy at times. I keep several lying around and one hangs from a clevis attached to my drawbar at all times. That way, I can hook a chain to the drawbar at any point along the chain. They also make drawbar-mounted grab hooks, which are a little faster to use because you don't have to thread the chain through the loop, but a grab hook alone isn't nearly as versatile as the clevis & grab ring combination.

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Length of chain #13  
WVBill - Yes, technically a choker chain is just a piece of chain with a slip hook on at least one end. Of course, if you're a nut, you have to get obsessive/compulsive about it: you have to have square-link choker chain, instead of just plain old chain, and you have to have choker hooks, instead of just plain old slip hooks.

There are some advantages, of course: The real, high-quality square link choker chain is lighter, stronger, and grabs a lot better than regular chain. The choker hooks have a much narrower throat so the chain will almost never fall out of the hook by itself. Many times, when using regular slip hooks, I've looked back to find I was dragging only a chain...

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Length of chain #14  
Richard,
3/8 chain should be strong enough.
Do you use a grab hook at one end and slip hook at the other?

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Length of chain
Thomas,
The chain I've been using is 3/8", VERY old, and as mentioned above, probably viewed when bought as "big enough" rather than "strong enough" and thought was put into price rather than strength. Just my suspicion.

Anyway, it has a grab hook on both ends and I have thus far, found that to be sufficient most of the time. Of course, if ignorance is bliss, you don't want to know how blissful I am/can be /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

I'm contemplating replacing it, or adding to it as it may be, hence the questions on what length might be in general, a good length.

/ Length of chain #16  
<font color=blue>Re: "big enough" rather than "strong enough"</font color=blue>

Yep, that's what two of my 20' 3/8" chains are. I inherited both from my dad. He inherited one from his dad and found the other one lying in the road one day./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Now if I were buying a new chain, I'd consider the rating, but so far neither of these have ever broken, even when I tie into something solid or heavy enough that I can't do anything but spin the wheels on the tractor.

Bird

/ Length of chain #17  
Just a thought, I have both choker and grab hooks but have also found it useful to put a threaded chain link through the end of the chain that has grab hooks, that way I can put a slip hook through that nad have a chanin with both a slip hook AND a grab hook on the same end. Kind of the "two birds with one stone" philosophy.

/ Length of chain #18  
You lost me there, Gerard. I just haven't been able to understand or picture what you're talking about./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bird

/ Length of chain #20  
Probably a little late for this discussion, but I've attached a picture of the various chain hooks and stuff I've picked up from ACE Hardware and Home Depot.

... in case visual aids will help at this point.

HarvSig.gif