Length of chain

/ Length of chain #21  
Bob - Unfortunately, not so easy as you think. You didn't specify empty or full. I believe in using the right tool/chain for the job. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Length of chain #22  
Harv,
I see you have the items labled very nicely, now, if you could just add the name/description of use for each item to the label, it would be a great visual referance! Add one more 'pic' w/abc's! Puhleasssse?

/ Length of chain #23  
Harv - Nice pics. One thing to note: Some hooks, etc. have the grade stamped on them (as in pic 'E', G43), while others don't. Generally, if they don't, they're G43, the weakest grade commonly available. The expression "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" is, of course, directly applicable to this discussion.

As a matter of principle, I mailorder all of my chain hardware because I won't buy anything like that (read anything my life may depend on) from China. I've broken a couple Chinese slip hooks using them for chokers. Nothing damaged, but nonetheless, never again.

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Length of chain #24  
Scruffy -

I wasn't about to embarass myself by attaching what I think the names or uses are for these things./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

I provided the generic labels so's the smart folk out there can refer to them as they tell us what they are./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Length of chain #25  
Harv - You realize you severely limited your chances of getting such descriptive labels by suggesting that smart folks offer them, don't you? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Length of chain #26  
MarkC -

I was afraid I might be buying junk, but I have yet to find a walk-in store in my area that sells anything better. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Fact is, I bought this stuff before I even had a tractor -- during those endless months of Kubota shopping. I was all excited about stepping into the world of heavy hardware and just grabbed up whatever I could find that mightbe useful.

All excuses (and about 50 bucks) aside, do you think I should use these 'til they break, use them for light duty only, or just huck 'em and start over with Labonville?

Don't spare my feelings -- I respect your opinion.

HarvSig.gif

/ Length of chain #27  
Richard,
I use two types of chains.
1.1/4" at one end a slip hook and at the other end grab hook,about 20'long.
2.1/4"one end a grab hook and at the other end slip plus a grab hook,about 25'long.
3.3/8 chain one end a grab hook the other end a slip hook,about 25' long.

I bought my chains at heavy equipment dealer because of the chain grade.

Kinda like the saying goes "pay me now or pay me later" /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

If you really want to get fancy,there air craft cable also chain on the market. $$$ /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Length of chain #28  
Harv - Appearances notwithstanding, I don't generally offer my opinion with the intent of dictating what you or anyone else should do, but merely to state I do. But since you asked...

In your particular situation, I wouldn't pitch them, but I would be mindful of how much stress I put on them. If you're using them in a situation where you're not putting anybody's health in harm's way, and they break, it's just an inconvenience and you can react accordingly by buying something better. On the other hand, you may never break them. As I've said before (many times), I'm a nut, and obsessive/compulsive about hardware to boot, so my preferences should be considered with that in mind.

Don't feel bad about the selection in your area, though. Your situation is very typical. That's why, as I said, I use mailorder - I can't find anything better locally, either.

If you decide to use them, and you break them, I would be interested in hearing how you managed it, though. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

P.S. By the way, the device I use on my drawbar which I referred to as a "clevis" earlier is, I think, more correctly called a "shackle", and corresponds to item 'C' in your hardware menagerie, except for size.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by MChalkley on 11/14/00 05:11 PM.</FONT></P>

/ Length of chain #29  
Here is a link to a mail order source for woodsman supplies that I use http://baileys-online.com. Choker chain, grab links, hammerlocks, wire rope, etc. Chainsaw supplies and safety equipment. I get all my chain loops thru them. Fast service. Ship from Calif. and Tenn.

/ Length of chain #30  
DFB -

Thanks for the tip about Bailey's.

Since they actually have a western division in northern California, maybe shipping will be reasonable.

I've already ordered their free catalog. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif