lets discuss preps for disasters

/ lets discuss preps for disasters #531  
I have a huge box of that institutional single ply, individually wrapped toilet paper. I thought I would use it, but it's just too unpleasant so it will always be around for emergencies.

/ lets discuss preps for disasters #532  
/Also Medical supplies would be a must if you have no way to get to proper medical services. Even a basic first aid book and kit would be better than nothing and worth its weight in gold.

I did read where people advised putting back some cash for emergencies. That is a great idea for short term disasters but if it is a much longer disaster. Cash could very well become useless. I believe other things would be more valuable and would be needed to barter with. Of course food would be one but what about ammo? or even medicine?
I joke most of my friends have 10 years of ammo, 10 months of food, 10 days of water, and 10 minutes of medical supplies.

We bought used family medical guides on eBay for home and camp. Had an EMT help us plan medical supplies, and took a Wilderness First Responder training course. "Wilderness Medicine" courses assume you are hours or days away from medical care, more appropriate for sailors and preppers....

/ lets discuss preps for disasters #533  
That's what the backhoe is for. ;)

The county just south of me has repeatedly declined to fund its sheriff's department, so there is no response at all to most crimes. It's also a rural county with a large population of backhoes and other heavy equipment. You hear stories of criminals moving into the county and then quietly disappearing. "Who knows where people like that go? I heard he moved to California."

The new definition of Best Friend is the guy who will loan you his backhoe. In a pinch, there is always Power Rents.

/ lets discuss preps for disasters #534  
In times of turmoil, how would you know whether to shoot someone or not? You might have to make that decision very quickly or risk dying yourself. In Canada, you can't use excessive force. You can't kill someone because they are stealing your generator, and yet, if that is your survival tool, I think one would be justified. The courts wouldn't see it that way though. I hope, I never have to experience that.

I think you have to live in or travel in safe groups where each member of the group would protect the others and vice versa. People would have to prove trustworthiness to be trusted. The idea that i would have to kill someone to protect the group would be a tough one.

/ lets discuss preps for disasters #536  
The religious paramilitary groups really have the right idea (as far as survival). Failing that, you really don't stand much of a chance against armed bandits. Piss someone off, and next thing you get popped in the head from a thousand feet while pulling carrots in your garden. You will be luckier if you are killed outright.

/ lets discuss preps for disasters #537  
The religious paramilitary groups really have the right idea (as far as survival). Failing that, you really don't stand much of a chance against armed bandits. Piss someone off, and next thing you get popped in the head from a thousand feet while pulling carrots in your garden. You will be luckier if you are killed outright.

Well, I suppose, there are worse ways to go out than pulling carrots....just saying..:)

/ lets discuss preps for disasters #538  
My meter runs backwards most the day... HS

Can you use that setup without grid power? My understanding is that modern inverters that are grid tied, as yours apparently is, will shut down if they do no sense grid power. This is to protect workers if the grid is down. Keeps grid tied solar from back feeding the lines when lineman expect it to be off. In the event of no power panels and inverters that were grid tied would be useless, right?

/ lets discuss preps for disasters #539  
Well, I suppose, there are worse ways to go out than pulling carrots....just saying..:)

Yeah,
Like that scene in the movie Unforgiven, where they shoot the guy in the outhouse. :laughing:

/ lets discuss preps for disasters #540  
Don't forget animal traps for food beside a 22 also.