Let's see your knife.

/ Let's see your knife. #262  
I picked this up at TSC last week. I have carried it a week and really like it. Easy to open with one hand. It has become my new EDC. I'm really lost without a knife.

1712104834659.png

/ Let's see your knife. #263  
Those knives have seen some real use! You needed a new one.
There’s lots of use left in the first two, and the bottom one hasn’t even made its first cut yet.

I used to loose pocket knifes regularly, but that little EDC seems oddly unloosable. Once, I lost it outside in the winter, while ice fishing at my in-laws place. They found it the next spring, laying in the pine needles, next to the dock.

I got that one at a junk sale, at a local tractor show, from a box of pocket knifes priced at $ 1.00 ea. I had to sort thru quite a few, to find one “made in USA”. The tip of the small blade was broke off, but the main blade was intact. I reshaped the small blade on my bench grinder.

On night, we were having an axe throwing contest out by the campfire. It took me a number of throws to get that little knife to stick in the bullseye, and I noted that half the grip insert was broke off on one side after that. I carried like that for a year or two, then finally got around to repairing it with JB weld a few months ago. It’s almost good as new again.

I’ve used a few different hunting knives, but that Shrade Sharpfinger is definitely my favorite. I think I paid around $ 15 for it new, maybe 35 years ago. My father in law gifted me an old Buck 110 folder, about 20 years ago, that I always make sure to use when I’m hunting at his place. The Shrade is so much better. It holds an edge better, cleans up easier, and skins and guts faster, thanks to that little slitting notch on the back of the tip.

I only carried that big stainless Bowie on one or two hunts last year, when it was raining, because I didn’t want to get the carbon steel blade on my Shrade rusty, or get the leather sheath wet. The Bowie has a nice weatherproof sheath.

/ Let's see your knife.
There’s lots of use left in the first two, and the bottom one hasn’t even made its first cut yet.

I used to loose pocket knifes regularly, but that little EDC seems oddly unloosable. Once, I lost it outside in the winter, while ice fishing at my in-laws place. They found it the next spring, laying in the pine needles, next to the dock.

I got that one at a junk sale, at a local tractor show, from a box of pocket knifes priced at $ 1.00 ea. I had to sort thru quite a few, to find one “made in USA”. The tip of the small blade was broke off, but the main blade was intact. I reshaped the small blade on my bench grinder.

On night, we were having an axe throwing contest out by the campfire. It took me a number of throws to get that little knife to stick in the bullseye, and I noted that half the grip insert was broke off on one side after that. I carried like that for a year or two, then finally got around to repairing it with JB weld a few months ago. It’s almost good as new again.

I’ve used a few different hunting knives, but that Shrade Sharpfinger is definitely my favorite. I think I paid around $ 15 for it new, maybe 35 years ago. My father in law gifted me an old Buck 110 folder, about 20 years ago, that I always make sure to use when I’m hunting at his place. The Shrade is so much better. It holds an edge better, cleans up easier, and skins and guts faster, thanks to that little slitting notch on the back of the tip.

I only carried that big stainless Bowie on one or two hunts last year, when it was raining, because I didn’t want to get the carbon steel blade on my Shrade rusty, or get the leather sheath wet. The Bowie has a nice weatherproof sheath.
Absolutely use and enjoy all of them. That's what I do with my daily knives. I almost always have a yeller handled pocket knife and a flip blade Milwaukee knife cliped in my right rear pocket or side pocket if wearing carpenter pants.

/ Let's see your knife.
   / Let's see your knife. #266  
I have a custom hunting knife being made by James Sponaugle. It's a Loveless drop point design, being made with 3 1/4" magnacut steel blade, olive drab micarta scales and red liners. It's my father's day present. It'll look similar to this, but matte finish.

I think knifes are like guns and typical hunting gear. Anyone of them can do the job, but you're always looking for that "little something" that is different.

I like the pronounced finger guard with this design, plus the lanyard hole. It'll have a nice sheath with a snap closure to keep it secure. It really looks like a nice working/practical hunting knife. Most of my hunting knifes are CPM154 or S30V. This will be the first one I've ever had made with magnacut steel.
loveless.jpg

/ Let's see your knife.
I think knifes are like guns and typical hunting gear. Any one of them can do the job, but you're always looking for that "little something" that is different.
Look forward to seeing a pic of the finished product. Nice looking knife!