Loaning out stuff...

/ Loaning out stuff... #41  
On my own I borrowed a Harbor Freight Tike saw and dropped it...

Bought brand new identical and returned it... a few weeks later I get a call saying what gives...?

Said I damaged your saw so I replaced it...

/ Loaning out stuff... #42  
The rocks is a good one...

Let's say a group of high school kids were picking up free dirt with dad's pickup... no I was not one of them but got the call saying the truck wouldn't make it up the hill.

The load was heaped and the trailer ball nut had been dragging on the ground...

I don't know how they steered it!
Yeah, thats bad! That truck was probably never the same.

/ Loaning out stuff... #43  
I've had family members tell me that since I let them borrow something it now belongs to them.

I've loaned out a battery powered radio (that had an AC power input but no cord). They proceeded to berate me for not having the AC cord. I'd never run it on anything other than batteries.

So, no I don't loan out anything anymore. I may use my tools and equipment to help out neighbors, but I don't loan them out without me.

/ Loaning out stuff... #44  
I won't loan out either...especially any powered stuff
I'll help 'em, but I'll operate the equipment

/ Loaning out stuff... #45  
Yeah, thats bad! That truck was probably never the same.
1974 Chevrolet 1/2 ton with full size bed, 350ci with auto...

/ Loaning out stuff... #46  
Anybody yet noticed the thread is from 2003?(!)

/ Loaning out stuff... #48  
I've written about this before but bears repeating. If you decide to loan a tool to someone, be sure they know how to use it.

A friend called asking to borrow my oxy/acc torch set because he had some stuck bolts. I would have said sure come pick it up... but I asked "have you ever used one before ?" With a no answer, I decided to go and do the job for him.

As turning up the acetylene pressure more than 15 PSI could hurt him or someone else... As laying the acetylene tank down is poor practice... As not moving anything flammable away from the shower of bouncing white hot metal... As not doing a fire watch for a couple of hours... As not having fire extinguisher ready at hand... As not capping the tanks before moving them... As leaving the regulators turned up... As proper torch lighting sequence ... and many more.

/ Loaning out stuff... #50  
You don’t call it an old thread, it’s aged, has the perfect patina now.