Loaning out stuff...

/ Loaning out stuff... #51  
I have two rules for myself vis-a-vis lending/borrowing.

I only loan something if it is a 'spare' and I will not really need it back.

I don't borrowing anything of value. I would be mortified of I broke someone else's tool or equipment.

I am more than happy to loan my services (including operating my own equipment). I am also (reluctantly) willing to accept the same from others.

I guess most of the time, if I need something I don't have or need help with something I cannot do, I just pay an expert or buy the tool.

/ Loaning out stuff... #52  
Lent my 7k car hauler to neighbour because I knew he was OCD with his own stuff. Sure enough, he completely serviced the brakes and bearings for me! I would lend to him again, but not to anyone else I know. I have helped several neibours dig trenches and stuff, but I am always the one sitting in the tractor seat.

Funny story. A very good friend and neighbour wanted to borrow my muffs for running his outboard motor while out of the water Searched all over and finally found them. Turned out they were his!

/ Loaning out stuff... #53  
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That reminds me of my walk-behind tiller. I loaned it to a friend (unsupervised) about ten years ago. He never mentioned that he was going to use it to till up the bricks that the builder buried on his lot. My tiller has never been the same since. But, you know, it was my fault. I should'nt have loaned it out in the first place. Currently, I make a habit of not mentioning to co-workers about what I have in my barn.
Many years ago my dad loaned out his tiller to a cousin, he returned it quietly to the shed without a word, next time my dad wanted to use it found the engine seized up from low oil, taught me a lesson for life

/ Loaning out stuff... #55  
Just this spring I loaned my MacKissick towable chipper/shredder to a 30+ YO grandson. I was mostly concerned about his and his little kids safety in my preliminary cautions.

When he brought it back, he mentioned that it had been making a lot of noise towards the end of his project. Turns out that one bolt had vibrated loose from a bearing...Apparently it came out, but he kept on running it....noise and all.

After several days work and $350 I have it repaired. Geeze... At least ...nobody was hurt at his house.

No loaning equipment without my presence will be my rule from here on.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
   / Loaning out stuff... #56  
I don't lend out equipment...if necessary, I'll help a neighbor, but I run the equipment.
Last time was my chipper...my neighbor fed it, but I was there. Anyway, the PTO shaft was cut for my tractor, not his.
Now, my neighbor is OCD about his equipment...no doubt he would be about mine too

/ Loaning out stuff... #57  
I'll help/run the equipment without issues. If the neighbor/friend wants to borrow the tools without me, I tell them sure as long as I get to use his wife or daughter while they are using my equipment ... no problem. If not, no deal. As far as lending money, I always found it to be the cheapest way to get rid of a girlfriend that had exceeded her "use by" date.

/ Loaning out stuff... #58  
Many years ago my dad loaned out his tiller to a cousin, he returned it quietly to the shed without a word, next time my dad wanted to use it found the engine seized up from low oil, taught me a lesson for life
Had a mint Troy Built Tiller that Brothers Father In Law needed to use.

Brothers brother in law picked it up… ran it just make sure ready to use.

A week later Father In Law said thanks for the tiller but it’s broken???

Turns out it came loose in the pickup and did summer-salts busting a carb casting…

I’m upset but not wanting to cause strife I order new parts and Father In law who is good guy installs…

Then it goes to brothers place and sits outside all winter and all decals ruined… and would not start.

I pick up and replace fluids and paint and new stickers…

Now I lie and said not working!!!

/ Loaning out stuff... #59  
Some people can ruin a hammer… others simply destroy from lack of care… exposure, checking oil, gas in diesel, etc.

/ Loaning out stuff... #60  

When he brought it back, he mentioned that it had been making a lot of noise towards the end of his project. Turns out that one bolt had vibrated loose from a bearing...Apparently it came out, but he kept on running it....noise and all.

Mike

I've got the wife trained to shut down anytime anything changes... noise, power, etc.

Also have taught several techs to ask the machine operator what changes they noticed before charging in, wrenches in hand. Have saved many hours of diagnostic checking.