Local Dealer Playing Pricing Games? John Deere 3032E

/ Local Dealer Playing Pricing Games? John Deere 3032E #1  

JDL130

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD, Kubota
So I've heard an ad on the radio from a local dealership offering a John Deere 3032E with FEL and tiller for $221/month.

This sounds like a great deal.

When I called the dealer, they were unable to tell me how they arrived at that price, considering everything you build on the JD website comes up close to $330/month configured like that. They told me I was probably wrong about the model number I heard, then tried to sell me a 1023R for @ $264/month. "No," I said, "The 3032E is what was advertised."

They claimed "they don't run the ads, JD does, and we have no control over what price they put in the ad." They also said "The ads typically don't include tax, and don't calculate having to put money down, because it's not required." OK, great, sounds good.

Then I called back a day later and they had heard their own ad on the radio. The story changed then. "Well, the way JD Corporate told us to do it didn't come out, so we did it a different way. It's 84 months at 0% financing and doesn't include tax. It's really easy -- just divide the number we give you by 84 and you'll get your monthly payment. Here's a quote."

The quote was around $24,000 and when divided by 84 months came to $280/month.

I have emailed them back and explained to them that $280/month is not $221/month, and asked what I am missing here? Incidentally, the difference between 280/month and 221/month for 84 months is almost exactly $5,000.

I'm confused and a little irritated. I've heard the ad 2x myself and they claim to have heard it to. Is this just false promises in an attempt to get someone into the dealership and upsell them? Or is there really a 3032E with a FEL and tiller out there for @ $19000?

/ Local Dealer Playing Pricing Games? John Deere 3032E #2  
Typical gimmick used by the car/truck dealers;get you in the door and upsell you.

/ Local Dealer Playing Pricing Games? John Deere 3032E #3  
I think the technical term for what you are experiencing is called fuzzy math.

/ Local Dealer Playing Pricing Games? John Deere 3032E
It's kind of scummy if you ask me. I'd have bought the tractor at $221/month. They can't seem to produce that exact tractor. Even car dealers, usually, have one lone "special price" car from the ad in the backlot somewhere -- sure, you might not want it, but they did order one 2016 Chevy Cruze with no a/c, stick shift, manual windows, and no wheels.

/ Local Dealer Playing Pricing Games? John Deere 3032E #5  
Yeah, on the radio there is not time for very important things (how many months, what options, tax, etc) I'm very suspicious of per month advertising. First thing I do is multiply the payment by the number of months, then by 1.06 (for 6% MI tax). that number tells me the max I'm going to pay, if it's less, no complaints, and I decide how to divide it up, thank you very much, I can do my own division. I think most dealers count on upping the price by addons, taxes, financing fees etc, and expect most people to go along, after all, +/- 4K is peanuts to everyone right?

Right...You won't even miss that extra $60/month...:)

/ Local Dealer Playing Pricing Games? John Deere 3032E #7  
In their defense, Deere advertising does those ads. I used to be a Deere dealer and could never come up w/ the payment advertised. The advertised payment was too low. I still couldn't tell you how they do it.
It has something to do w/ no tax, a down payment and either 0% for a long term or a low rate.

/ Local Dealer Playing Pricing Games? John Deere 3032E #8  
Who builds it foe JD? Ask the dealer then go buy it from that maker. I have a yanmar sx3100, the same tractor is a JD 2720. After end year sales/rebates I Paris 12k less then the JD model

/ Local Dealer Playing Pricing Games? John Deere 3032E #9  
local chain of dealers here are offering the 3030E with loader and brush cutter for $225/84months 0%, also has 5 year protection plan.

local chain of dealers here are offering the 3030E with loader and brush cutter for $225/84months 0%, also has 5 year protection plan.

Do they want money down with that? The dealer I was talking with acted like there was no need for a down payment to get that price, but could never actually arrive at that price. We were always $5k away from each other -- just about the amount of a down payment.