Locked up and nowhere to go

/ Locked up and nowhere to go
This is the block. Mine is steel.

What was the final end to your story? The thread currently stops with a call to Terry.

Curious how you fixed yours.

All the best,

Peter

The block does have a name, it is in my manual but my manual is up north. I think I posted it in my tirade about this. I did the same thing, removed the elbow, pulled out the cap with the pinhole. I think the block is Aluminum, at least mine is.

I am really interested in what is going on with yours and what your resolution will be.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/130827-problem-lift-tilt-dump.html

Here is a picture of the block removed, as well as a picture of my High Pressure filter.. It is located on the gas tank next to the battery under the draft control.

yes, this is where the tender hooks up. But it hooks up before this little pinhole valve, so the brakes will work but nothing else. Frustrating not having a diagram.

/ Locked up and nowhere to go #12  
I had to send it in. And I am not sure it is fixed.

I installed it at christmas, Drove the tractor twice. First time it worked perfect, second time it did the same thing, locking up until it "warmed up". Terry had said to go back and check the bypass valves on the RPS. Of course I had to go back to LA and that was that.

I have had debris clog mine, and Terry said they sometimes fail (The bypass valves).

So, my answer to you is that I don't know the status. Frustrating as all heck.

Carl

Oh and maybe mine is steel. I just am assuming aluminum as all the other blocks are aluminum

Hmm. Well, I just stripped it all out. No debris, so no smoking gun. Time will tell.

With the block off, it is called a "Charging Valve". It is the only non-aluminum block on my 1445. It has the accumulator plumbed off of it.

The valve stem under the large spring for the charging valve appears to weep oil. I am not sure that this is/was related.

More later....

All the best,

Peter

I had to send it in. And I am not sure it is fixed.

I installed it at christmas, Drove the tractor twice. First time it worked perfect, second time it did the same thing, locking up until it "warmed up". Terry had said to go back and check the bypass valves on the RPS. Of course I had to go back to LA and that was that.

I have had debris clog mine, and Terry said they sometimes fail (The bypass valves).

So, my answer to you is that I don't know the status. Frustrating as all heck.

Carl

Oh and maybe mine is steel. I just am assuming aluminum as all the other blocks are aluminum

/ Locked up and nowhere to go #14  
Recently bought a few new surplus Schroeder high pressure filters with a popup blocked filter indicator instead of the pointer. Not 100% sure why i bought them other than they could be handy for the right project. High pressure is relative - I think the Schroeder filters are rated for 800 psi if i remember correctly.

Ken

/ Locked up and nowhere to go #15  
Can you post a picture of that filter system, of what you got? My indicator is broke / dead / who the heck knows.

I hope it is higher than 800 PSI. I think mine says 3000 PSI...

/ Locked up and nowhere to go #16  
Hi Carl,

You are right, my bad.

NFN301NNZX10PD5 normally sell for just under $300 i think

NFN30 means it is a top ported non-bypass high pressure filter, 20 GPM
1 = 1 element
NNZX10 = 3000 psi high collapse 10 micron filter
Buna N seals
P = 3/4" NPTF
D5 = popup dirt alarm

I do not know if there is a model number on ours or not (I know, i have a Power Trac, what am I thinking!).

That is the best i can do for a picture at this moment. The popup goes right where the pointer is on ours.

Just checked. Power Trac sent me 25 micron cellulose 5 1/4" replacement filters and these have a 10 micron synthetic 8" filter. I will look into it more - might be nice to put these in after the 25 micron filter.

Attachments

• Scroeder Filter.jpg
    Scroeder Filter.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Terry had me try disassemblying it in situ to allow potential dirt to drain out. Talk about a pain in the... There is next to no room in there to work in. Needless to say, it didn't change anything.

After disassemblying the charge valve and removing the pinhole and finding no dirt, the charging valve is now frozen.

The spring doesn't ever move, and the PT is without steering/lift/tilt/Q/A. The charging valve is off to Tazewll.

I will keep you posted.

All the best,

Peter

/ Locked up and nowhere to go #19  
Peter, please quiz terry down. I seem to have no luck when I ask him for specifics. he just says they tore it apart and fixed it. Maybe he just doesn't know.

Also, that is 2 of the units he has received in 6 months. Doubt there is any commonality in the issues (a defect on PT's part). but I wonder....

What I wonder is whether it worth installing a 10 micron filter on the upstream side. It would filter all of the oil eventually.

Since the piston doesn't cycle, Terry's thinking is that either the external plunger, or the internal piston it controls, is stuck. Either way, the hydraulic supply is clearly dead heading, with the pump laboring, and not much flow.

Basically, the charging valve functions like a SCUBA regulator; when fluid isn't being drawn by the steering or the FEL cylinders, the pump flow is diverted to the tank at 0psi, i.e. little or no work or friction. When a control valve is opened, the accumulator dumps, the pump is switched into the circuit, and work gets done. When the back pressure rises because the valve has been closed, the accumulator fills, and then the charging valve cycles, diverting the pump to the tank at zero psi.

I can see that it saves load on the pump, and reduces heat. I wonder how the same issues are dealt with other tractors.

All the best,

Peter
P.S. Since we are on the other side of the country, it will be a few weeks before I get the valve back. Of course, it is peak PT season now, before fire danger kicks in...