Log Hauler

/ Log Hauler #1  

HawkinsHollow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
I need a way to move logs to the sawmill. A buddy of mine runs a scrapyard and got this propane tank hauling trailer in. I began to wonder, how would that work as a log hauler. Now I am not talking about huge logs, but 2 or 3 15-20" pine logs winched up and then set down on cross beams to head down the road. Seem like it would work well to me. No machinery needed in the whole process, that is a plus. What does the TBN braintrust think? He only wants $500 for it, seems fair.
Screen Shot 2024-03-08 at 8.51.15 AM.png

/ Log Hauler
The other option would be a deck over trailer and parbuckling the logs up. Cheapest deck over trailer I have found on Marketplace is $1100.

/ Log Hauler #5  
May need some tires...bearings? Also need a way to secure logs to the trailer when on the road.

/ Log Hauler #6  
The other option would be a deck over trailer and parbuckling the logs up. Cheapest deck over trailer I have found on Marketplace is $1100.
I've thought about parbuckling onto my car hauler. I've also thought about putting an arch on the back of it and using hydraulics and/or winch to do it.

Reality sets in and I no longer need to move many logs because the winters have changed so much here that it doesn't get cold enough to use wood heat most of the winter. Went from 6 cords per season down to maybe 1.5 cords.

/ Log Hauler
I've thought about parbuckling onto my car hauler. I've also thought about putting an arch on the back of it and using hydraulics and/or winch to do it.

Reality sets in and I no longer need to move many logs because the winters have changed so much here that it doesn't get cold enough to use wood heat most of the winter. Went from 6 cords per season down to maybe 1.5 cords.
Yeah, I like the log arches on the back that uses a winch to lift the log onto the trailer. That would require me to buy a trailer, buy a winch and fabricate it. Also log removal is a bit more awkward. This would require none of that. And be $500 all in. IF IT WORKS!

/ Log Hauler #8  
Back over the logs, lift them up, slide support beams under the logs, lower them down on support beams, chain and ratchet strap everything down, be on your way.

Sounds easy on paper. :p

/ Log Hauler #9  
Maybe pin the support beams in place for safety. You could use bolts with clip pins for ease of use.

/ Log Hauler
Back over the logs, lift them up, slide support beams under the logs, lower them down on support beams, chain and ratchet strap everything down, be on your way.

Sounds easy on paper. :p
Yep, that is what I am thinking. The arch seems quite sturdy, there are numerous pulleys in the lifting apparatus increasing the lifting power. Seems to me like it would work.