Look what I got for $1700

/ Look what I got for $1700 #41  
ya thats a alternator
It's a TEFC "off highway" alternator built for harsh conditions, not to be confused with "explosion proof" alternators, which it isn't. :)

Last edited:
   / Look what I got for $1700
Yeah, one of mine was stuck bad too. Glued on with paint I think. When my filter strap started to crush the filter housing, I simply got a bigger hammer (and screwdriver). Drove the screwdriver clean through the filter housing, then finally broke it free with the screwdriver handle.

Don't equate speed with power though. You'll soon find out that H2 and H3 are pretty useless as "working" gears. They're almost exclusively for unladen transport. Most of my work was done in L2/L3/H1.

//greg//

I have now added that to my advice hall of fame. Picture enclosed. THANKS!

/ Look what I got for $1700 #43  
Curious if you also changed out the injector pump oil? This is one thing that gets overlooked on these tractors. I change mine every other oil change which is at 100 hr intervals. I change the engine oil at 50 hour intervals.

If you have not get it changed asap. Lack of oil of fuel diluted oil lead to 90% of the injector pump issues.

Chris

Curious if you also changed out the injector pump oil? This is one thing that gets overlooked on these tractors. I change mine every other oil change which is at 100 hr intervals. I change the engine oil at 50 hour intervals.

If you have not get it changed asap. Lack of oil of fuel diluted oil lead to 90% of the injector pump issues.

Chris

Yep, swapped out a pint.

/ Look what I got for $1700 #45  
Good deal. It so often gets overlooked.

Chris

** New Problem **
(maybe I caused it)

Took it out for a moving adventure and I notice the oil pressure dropping?!

I let it cool down and check the stick..it was low:confused:

I added some more, started it, revved it a bit and notice oil DROPPING OUT of some reservoir.

So, what is this? And, why is it dropping oil? Is something supposed to be connected it here?

Attachments

• whyisthisdroppingoil.jpg
    whyisthisdroppingoil.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 188
  • goodby10w30.jpg
    goodby10w30.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 199
   / Look what I got for $1700 #47  
The first pic looks like a crank case breather to me.
Second pic looks like a puddle of oil on the ground.

Check your coolant and hydraulic oil levels.

/ Look what I got for $1700 #48  
If it's spewing oil out the crankcase breather (what it looks like to me), then you've most likely got combustion gases getting into the crankcase from a blown head gasket or busted piston rings or some such.

Check the radiator for oil in the water, check the crankcase for water in the oil, etc. Check the hydraulic fluid because Bob said to. :)

Let us know what you discover.

Ugh!

Gasket and rings..those are horrible words.:thumbdown:-

Maybe thats why it was so cheap. :)

He gave me a tool box with a new gasket..I wonder if he knew.

/ Look what I got for $1700 #50  
Hold on, let's not get the cart too far in front of the horses here. Sometimes a dirty crankcase breather will do the same thing. The idea is that the mesh inside the breather separates the oil from the crankcase vapors; the vapors going out the hole at the bottom, and the oil draining back into the crankcase via the metal tube.

Spin that thumbscrew off the breather cover, and pull out the steel mesh. Give it a good bath in diesel fuel or kerosene, clean out the breather housing, put the mesh back in and the top back on. I cleaned mine at least once a year. Then get a section of some kind of flexible tubing that's designed for contact with petroleum products. How long a piece is up to you. Attach one end to the vapor exhaust sticking out of the breather, run the other end where ever you want it. I had one about six feet long that I ran under the tractor far enough to discharge behind the seat.

//greg//