Looking at getting a UTV.....

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #11  
I really enjoy our new Yamaha rhino 700FI, no problem with power. Opinions are just that, what might be good for 1 guy might be just the opposite for another.

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #12  
Our diesel just flipped 100 hours today. We use it primarily around the property (20 acres) for hauling, landscaping, zipping around running the dogs, pulling cars that die at the bottom of the hill - gravel driveway (why bother with the tractor or pickup?) and it has been essentially problem free. Never been back to the dealer but it does have a plastic shield over the parking brake disc that is melting (must have made contact somehow). It doesn't matter so I haven't got around to taking it back for replacement.
The most I've carried is cut firewood (as much as I could fit) in the back end to take it across the back fields and hills to the neighbors. It carried it just fine but I could feel the higher center of gravity and I took it easy. It dumped it easily with the power dump. I don't think you could break this thing with NORMAL use. I think you'd have to be blatantly abusive before something bad could happen.
I've not done any steep or long hill climbing so I can't comment. I would like to take this trail riding some day. I'm expecting that it would go up anything reasonable, especially locked in 4wd.

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #13  
Our diesel just flipped 100 hours today. We use it primarily around the property (20 acres) for hauling, landscaping, zipping around running the dogs, pulling cars that die at the bottom of the hill - gravel driveway (why bother with the tractor or pickup?) and it has been essentially problem free. Never been back to the dealer but it does have a plastic shield over the parking brake disc that is melting (must have made contact somehow). It doesn't matter so I haven't got around to taking it back for replacement.
The most I've carried is cut firewood (as much as I could fit) in the back end to take it across the back fields and hills to the neighbors. It carried it just fine but I could feel the higher center of gravity and I took it easy. It dumped it easily with the power dump. I don't think you could break this thing with NORMAL use. I think you'd have to be blatantly abusive before something bad could happen.
I've not done any steep or long hill climbing so I can't comment. I would like to take this trail riding some day. I'm expecting that it would go up anything reasonable, especially locked in 4wd.

You didn't state what brand or model...? Is it Mule, Gator, RTV, or Bobcat/Club Car/Husqvarna? Those are the only major four diesels that I know of.

Kyle

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #14  
Really don't know what to buy though.
Primary usage would be as a utility vehicle on the farm for chores, fence work etc. I have a tractor so I do not anticipate using it with any ground engaging implements.
My lifelong hobby has been dirtbikes so something with some performance would be a bonus.
I need 4wd for when its muddy. From what I have read some models will fit in the back of a 6 foot pickup bed. That would be a plus as well.

Is there a model that will do it all?

For a little more "fun" and performance I'd look at RZR's or Rhino's. More toward function and work, Polaris. Mules are reliable, great workers, and I find my small 610 fun. But they don't have the speed or suspension the others do.

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #15  
farmboy12, it is a JD XUV 850D.

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #16  
I have driven almost all of them and personal preferences in consideration, here are my thoughts:

1. You cannot go wrong with any of the major manufacturers. They all make good machines that are reliable and capable.

2. The Rhino's bed is too small. It will not haul anything of much size. This ruled it out for me. The Mule is solid but somewhat antequated in design which might not be a liability to some.

3. The Kubota is sluggish. It is a great work vehicle and the diesel is a nice choice, but it lacks much performance and has little suspension travel. The other issue is that is essentially weighes as much as a small tractor, so one has to keep this in mind when in soft areas or when hauling it around. It does come with features standard that others charge as options and good dealer support and excellent fit and finish.

4. The Gator (I have the diesel) to me offers the most all-around UTV. It is not too fast but fast enough, has a mule-like diesel engine option, strong dealer support, smooth ride, exceptional durability and many accessory options. The gas model is weak and uses a lot of fuel to supply its weakness. It is true four wheel drive (many are not--Kubota), which is a big plus for even work. A nice machine; nicer in diesel. Pretty expensive, though, and some paying for the JD name.

5. The Ranger. A rocket. Much better fit and finish than they used to have. Will haul loads and has power steering option now. Much more power and rides well. Warranty is suspect--tend to be stolen more often so careful storing. Many accessories but most are pretty pricey. Like the bench seat and the fuel injection.

I would say for the average UTV owner that wants to be sporty and work the vehicle, the Polaris is probably the best choice all around. For diesels, I like the Gator. It has a tad more power than the Kubota relative to its sprung weight and has true four wheel drive, rather than an open front like the RTV.

John M

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #17  
Warhammer, This will sound stupid but here goes nothing.
On FOX news last night, Stossel made an interesting point.
There are tax credits out there for buying electric vehicles.
He bought an electric golf cart. It was $6500 dollars. Extra large batteries. Lots of power etc.. Here's the cool part. THE GOVERNMANT IS GIVING HIM A $65OO TAX CREDIT!!! IT WAS FREE!! We bought him a golf cart!
PS He's donating it to the parks department. He bought it as an example of how stupid this government can be.
If an electric cart would work, we will buy it for you. I think i'm gonna be sick:confused:
Look for other elec vehicles if they will do the job for you. Good huntin'. Speaking of hunting, an elec veh will sneak up on those animals you hunt in Texas. No gas, No maintenance. Hope you can use a tax credit. Dave

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #18  
If I was looking for a utility side-by-side and for good bang for the buck, I'd check out one of the Japanese mini (Kei) trucks. Similar physical size and payload to the Kubota, weigh less, even the stock 660cc models have about 50% more HP and much more speed. They are reliable, can be lifted, performance modded ( not in the same league as a Rhino, RZR, etc), have heat and/or AC, good parts support and as long as you stay away from a few of the dealers out there, they are half what a brand name UTV cost. If you shop around, there are some amazing deals on them. They appear to be slowly going up in price, like the grey market tractors did, so I don't think they'll always be the bargain that they have been.

And I've always been the guy who liked the Husabergs, KTM's, Husky, Gas Gas, etc so the "something different" cool factor weighs in heavily ;)

Attachments

• kei.jpg
    kei.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 129
   / Looking at getting a UTV..... #19  
He bought an electric golf cart. It was $6500 dollars. Extra large batteries. Lots of power etc.. Here's the cool part. THE GOVERNMANT IS GIVING HIM A $65OO TAX CREDIT!!! IT WAS FREE!! We bought him a golf cart!
PS He's donating it to the parks department. He bought it as an example of how stupid this government can be.
If an electric cart would work, we will buy it for you. I think i'm gonna be sick:confused:
Look for other elec vehicles if they will do the job for you. Good huntin'. Speaking of hunting, an elec veh will sneak up on those animals you hunt in Texas. No gas, No maintenance. Hope you can use a tax credit. Dave

Yes, electric vehicles are great. We have a gas and an electric cart, the electric will DRIVE for probably 8 hours before it needs charge. The are nice, but there aren't many in the UTV market, and golf carts can work, but just not as much.

Kyle

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #20  

I've heard about that and thought about using it myself. Don't really want a golf cart but - hey, if it's 'free' right?