Looking at getting a UTV.....

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #41  
"Since April 40 hrs on the Bota, 90 hrs on the JD."

Well in the last 4 months I put 45 hrs on my Ranger; guess your Bota and JD are "occasionaly" and "lightly" used too. :)

I wouldnt try to talk some one into buying a Ranger or out of it, just posting my experience.

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #42  
"Since April 40 hrs on the Bota, 90 hrs on the JD."

Well in the last 4 months I put 45 hrs on my Ranger; guess your Bota and JD are "occasionaly" and "lightly" used too. :)

I wouldnt try to talk some one into buying a Ranger or out of it, just posting my experience.

Yes they are and I wouldn't either, just posting MY experiences. I'm not the one using words like "incredible" and "bulletproof". :)

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #43  
I have both a Ranger and a Gator XUV diesel. I use both a lot. My Ranger is the LE 800 with EFI and power steering. In short, the Ranger is fast and fun to operate. I enjoy using it more than my Gator in most cases. But, the Gator is definitely the better pulling machine and is more heavily made. I have aftermarket tires on my Gator and with the additional traction of the Gator and the torque of the diesel engine it will outpull the Ranger without trouble. That said, I think the Ranger is the better off roader and pulls great to a point. I cannot yet attest to the Ranger's durability, but I can say its suspension pieces appear lighter duty than the Gator, though it does have better brakes.

If I were buying a UTV for mainly work and speed did not matter, I would really consider the XUV JD. They are tough and will work hard without breaking down. They are simple machines with strong dealer support. The Kubota was on my list but with limited rear wheel travel and no true locking front, I would have been using the winch often where I live. The John Deere, though not quite as heavy as the Kubota, is well-made with fewer compromises in my opinion. It offers much better off-road performance with similar work abilities. The Ranger is a solid work machine also, but after owning one, it is clear Polaris made a machine to appeal to those who do moderate work but want ATV-like off road performance. They do ride smoothly, though, and I can say it is the smoothest riding UTV I have ever used. Hopefully the service will be good. Part of the problem associated with Polaris and its service record/reputation is that these machines are often abused. Not to say in every case, but a quick perusal of You Tube shows how these machines are frequently treated. My neighbor, for example, complained of his Sportsman ATV not giving good service. Only later did his confess to me that it has been run into his fishing pond--twice. His dealer does not know this, just that the machine "doesn't run right". My father, who has had two ATV Polaris machines and a Ranger, says they give "OK" service. He is nearly 80 and does not abuse his equipment, but he cannot remember when, or even if, he changed the oil or service the machine. Not frank abuse, but rather neglect. This seems to happen often to Polaris equipment. When compared to other UTV's in its class (the Rhino and Arctic Cat being examples) it becomes clear that Polaris is the only company that markets its UTV as a work and fun UTV. The AC and the Rhino really are not, as neither offers a large bed or heavy work capabilities. This is by intent in my mind, as they really do not want the downside of abuse from both work-oriented and fun-oriented owners. Polaris deals with both. Food for thought. Perhaps Polaris would have a service rep like JD if it did not attempt to appeal to both sides of the ownership fence. I bet I personally will get good service from my Ranger as I keep my equipment maintained and do not abuse it. Most UTV's would work fine under these circumstances.

John M

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #44  
I have both a Ranger and a Gator XUV diesel. I use both a lot. My Ranger is the LE 800 with EFI and power steering. In short, the Ranger is fast and fun to operate. I enjoy using it more than my Gator in most cases. But, the Gator is definitely the better pulling machine and is more heavily made. I have aftermarket tires on my Gator and with the additional traction of the Gator and the torque of the diesel engine it will outpull the Ranger without trouble. That said, I think the Ranger is the better off roader and pulls great to a point. I cannot yet attest to the Ranger's durability, but I can say its suspension pieces appear lighter duty than the Gator, though it does have better brakes.

If I were buying a UTV for mainly work and speed did not matter, I would really consider the XUV JD. They are tough and will work hard without breaking down. They are simple machines with strong dealer support. The Kubota was on my list but with limited rear wheel travel and no true locking front, I would have been using the winch often where I live. The John Deere, though not quite as heavy as the Kubota, is well-made with fewer compromises in my opinion. It offers much better off-road performance with similar work abilities. The Ranger is a solid work machine also, but after owning one, it is clear Polaris made a machine to appeal to those who do moderate work but want ATV-like off road performance. They do ride smoothly, though, and I can say it is the smoothest riding UTV I have ever used. Hopefully the service will be good. Part of the problem associated with Polaris and its service record/reputation is that these machines are often abused. Not to say in every case, but a quick perusal of You Tube shows how these machines are frequently treated. My neighbor, for example, complained of his Sportsman ATV not giving good service. Only later did his confess to me that it has been run into his fishing pond--twice. His dealer does not know this, just that the machine "doesn't run right". My father, who has had two ATV Polaris machines and a Ranger, says they give "OK" service. He is nearly 80 and does not abuse his equipment, but he cannot remember when, or even if, he changed the oil or service the machine. Not frank abuse, but rather neglect. This seems to happen often to Polaris equipment. When compared to other UTV's in its class (the Rhino and Arctic Cat being examples) it becomes clear that Polaris is the only company that markets its UTV as a work and fun UTV. The AC and the Rhino really are not, as neither offers a large bed or heavy work capabilities. This is by intent in my mind, as they really do not want the downside of abuse from both work-oriented and fun-oriented owners. Polaris deals with both. Food for thought. Perhaps Polaris would have a service rep like JD if it did not attempt to appeal to both sides of the ownership fence. I bet I personally will get good service from my Ranger as I keep my equipment maintained and do not abuse it. Most UTV's would work fine under these circumstances.

John M

Very well stated John. Just as there is no "Perfect" tractor, there's no "Perfect" UTV. It's all about what your intended use is. None are "incredible". None are "bulletproof" or any of the other spectacular claims made by users. They all have their niche. They all fail when used beyond that niche. :)

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #45  
I have a 09 Polaris Ranger Crew.- I like the crew because it can haul 6 people.- I put air shocks on mine and it rides great, and I put the 'air shocks' on because I have a 72" hydraulic snow blade for it.- The only reason I bought the Polaris is to use it during hunting season.- But I have worked it hard, and so far no problems.

This is the first Polaris I've owned.- I've only owned Honda ATVs, and the Rubicon is the best ATV I have ever owned.- I started to buy a Honda Big Red, but I liked the Ranger Crew a lot better!

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #46  
I have a 09 Polaris Ranger Crew.- I like the crew because it can haul 6 people.- I put air shocks on mine and it rides great, and I put the 'air shocks' on because I have a 72" hydraulic snow blade for it.- The only reason I bought the Polaris is to use it during hunting season.- But I have worked it hard, and so far no problems.

This is the first Polaris I've owned.- I've only owned Honda ATVs, and the Rubicon is the best ATV I have ever owned.- I started to buy a Honda Big Red, but I liked the Ranger Crew a lot better!

A friend of mine has a Crew with 4K miles on it. Rarely uses the 4wd, mostly cruising town and backroads. He loves it. It obviously fits the niche he was after.

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #47  
I spent a day riding over a farmer's fields on a JD suv. It wasn't much to look at but could go about anywhere and had a smooth ride. I've had a Mule 3010 for six years and it's rugged and dependable, my biggest complaint is the quality of its ride is terrible.

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #48  
Well said John M, i bought the ranger for the blend of sport and utility. Need to be able to run around on 680 acres of hunting camp and also pull a plotmaster and spreader. If I was buying right now sport/speed off road capability would be lower on the list of priorities.

As far as Richards nitpicking incredible, or bulletproof, well the machine far exceeded my expectations. Every spring I load 1000# of pellitized lime in back and attach spreader loaded with 600#s and head to remote food plots usually with 2-3 riders too. Springs are put out board and turned up for highest capacity. Never a problem if you dont mind looking at the sky, although if there were I would not be surprised. Sure any equipment will break if abused (I have friends who could dork up an anvil) that is far different than your buds RZR 4wd going out three times (2) under no abuse. I have had mine in 4wd for a month no problems, maybe I am lucky or he is unlucky but I dont think all rangers or polaris products are garbage.

A friend of mine has a gator hpx that seems pretty stout, I think he has changed the oil once in 360 hrs. It definitely has some serious load capacity, another friend has a mule diesel transport that is a nice machine too.

I would be the first to warn anyone to stay away from a machine I own if it has been problematic I have no skin in the game; my pay check, pride, or honor is certainly not tied to a polaris ranger. If my ranger goes bad tomorrow I would evaluate every option out there for a replacement I have zero brand loyalty. Funny how people get so defensive when others experiences do not concur with theirs.

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #49  
Funny how people get so defensive when others experiences do not concur with theirs.

I agree Keith, that's why I pointed out your "incredible" and "bulletproof" claim. Sounded like you were defending your choice. Don't need to do that on my account.

Actually from my posts you still don't know which brand I prefer do you? :)

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #50  
Actually from my posts you still don't know which brand I prefer do you? :)

I've been slow in wading in on this one, because of potential biased viewpoint. But, I went through a similar process last year, looking first at golf cart deriviatives (including 4wd), pure utilities like Gators and Kubotas, and even Kei trucks -- then went toward a combination of work with some serious fun mixed in...

IMO, if you want to combine work and have fun on the trails with it, there's really only four good choices out there: Kawasaki Teryx, Yamaha Rhino, Arctic Cat Prowler, or Polaris Ranger.

The Rhino is the smallest and the lightest of the group, at about 1050 lbs, with a 400 lb bed payload and 1200 lb towing capacity. Is that enough for your needs? It comes in 450 and 700fi models, including a 700 Sport model with high-performance reservoir shocks, etc. The Rhino 450 is the least expensive of this group.

Next size up is Kawasaki Teryx. Wider, about 200 lbs heavier, but considerably more power. Roughly the same payload and towing capacilty as the Rhino. Newest design of the three major players, and has just gone through its first major "refinement" in a new model. (I don't consider the simple addition of fuel injection to the earlier design to be a true "new model." Earlier ones were notorious for belt problems, when put to hard use -- not sure on this new 2010 model.) Price is comparable to the Rhino 700 -- which it was targeted to directly compete with.

Comparable in size, weight and capability to the Teryx, though much faster in the 1000cc model, is the Arctic Cat Prowler. The 1000cc is the "hot-rod" of this market. Available in 3 engine sizes (550, 700 and 1000cc), it also sells the fewest (last I knew), and is likely the least refined/least proven of the group. It too, was designed to compete with the niche-defining Rhino. However, given competitive pricing and good local dealer support, it would be worth a looksee.

Bigger still, more powerful than everything but the 1000CC Arctic Cat, and likely most expensive is the Ranger 800, with the largest payload and towing capacity. A proven desigh that has evolved and been refined over the years -- and some of the reliability issues have been addressed. It was initially designed to compete with JD Gators, with more serious off-road capability. It has the largest bed, and can haul 1000 lbs in the bed -- if you don't mind bottoming out the rear shocks and staring up at the sky while driving. (note that both the Rhino and Teryx would haul FAR more than their rated payload, probably at least twice that, if they were put in a similar "overload" condition).

There is a brand new Ranger 400 midsize that is smaller and compares in size more with the Rhino and Teryx. There's not a lot of info and feedback on it, since it is a new 2010 model, and there's not many in showrooms (at least around here). It's more expensive than than the Rhino 450, yet less expensive than the rest. The new-for-2010 midsize Ranger 400 wasn't available when I was looking, nor the redesigned 2010 Teryx.

I recommend that you start with test driving these four machines -- determine what's different between them and which of those differences best meet your needs. Then, look at the different models that that brand and specific model allows (only the Teryx comes in a "one-size-fits-all" model line.) I decided the Rhino 450 met my needs well enough and gave the most "bang for the buck". If I need to haul 1000 pounds, I have a tractor, a 4WD pickup, and three different trailers to choose from. Since I ride in the mountains/hills, and will retire to the foothills of the Smokies, the engine braking (unique to the Rhino) was a major selling point for me. The rock-solid reputation for reliability (second only perhaps to Honda machines) was also a big factor.

Note that I left the Honda Big Red out of this group simply because it is as big as a small pickup and really too large for trail riding. It's more in competition with the Kubota RTV 900/1100 machines, not the ones I've discussedl.

How you'll use it determines which is best for you... this is much like buying a pickup. There's a world of difference between a 4-cylinder Ford Ranger and 3500 Ram MegaCab with a Cummins -- and lots of choices in between!

Last edited: