Looking at getting a UTV.....

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #31  
I just recently bought a 620 gator XUV. I am thinking i should have bought the diesel or looked at he Ranger. It seems to be very well made and has a nice big bed. It has no preformance for recreational use and is very poor on climbing steep hills. I didn't do much research because my freind has one and he loves it and says how powerful it is. I guess everyones idea of power is different. I was very disapointed when it barely climbed the will I was on in low range with no load. It is a 2009 so if want to get something else I am going to loose a ton of money. I have heard the 2010 gas XUV will have around 50 HP :D. I should have waited. :(

we looked at kubota 2660 tractor and the kubota "R" car, we agreed that the Gator XUV was the best choice for our horse farm.

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #32  
I don't think you will find any UTV that will fit into a 6' bed. Heck! I don't think you'll find any that will fit into a 8' bed either. That's ATV sized. Our Kaw Mule likes an 11'+ trailer because it's a tad over 10' long. It also has a wheelbase wider than 4' (a bit over 57" wide). If you can find one that fits into the bed, it's not really a UTV in my opinion.

I have a 610 Mule that is 47" wide, will fit between the wheel wells of a full size truck. Would probably fit in a 6' bed with talgate down as it can be hauled on an 8' trailer. It is not the fastest or sportiest model in the field, but it starts right up, runs forever on a tank of fuel & has done everything I have asked of it --including hauling fuel & seed between fields & pulling trailer loads of firewood out of the timber. My wife picked this out as she could not get on an atv with her bad knees. We looked at Rangers, Rhinos, Gators, 3010 Mules & the 610's. She thought the 610 was easier to get in & out of & could hold her & two grandkids which others with bucket seats couldn't do. If I want to go flying through the fields & jump some terraces I just get on one of the atv's. Just have to decide on what you want to do with one as the OP stated an interest in a smaller unit.

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #33  
one thing to look at is if you don't like it after you get it then what I always look at resale Yamaha rhinos resale is excellent and not a bad product just remember stop before you change directions it is costly price $13000 basic Polaris you the dealer wont even take them back on a trade down here I have heard bad things about Kawasaki terex.. the nabour has one not good he said ??? cat not built strong enough a arms rip off ...... there all the same to some just some things diff but the harder you bet them the shorter the life of the machine I hope this advice helps Brian

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #34  
Actually the Polaris Sportsman has a trouglesome 4wd system. It also does not have a front differential so always steers heavy when in 4wd. Polaris runs the front driveline engaged at all times. To get 2wd they disconnect at each front wheel using electromagnetic devices. Creates more opportunity for failure because of maintaining two devices.

Worst problem with them is they will engage themselves when doing high speed rear wheel spin. Makes a terrible banging sound, yanks the bars out of your hands and tries really, really hard to tear itself up and throw you off. Also will sometimes disengage when changing direction quickly. Not pretty. :mad:

I don't have personal experience with Polaris Ranger or RZR so can't comment on what system they use, just assume it's the same as the Sportsman. :(

I have to disagree with you. I have run my neighbors 2up Sportsman through the woods and pastures along with snow plowing in all modes. It is a fantastic ATV..It's big and heavy, but felt none of the things you are referring to. Handles nice and rides like a Cadillac. Runs up hill climbs like nothing.

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #35  
you dont know what you are talking about. Polaris makes the best 4 wheel drive on the market in the sportsmans. i have owned them for years! we are talkin utvs. Polaris is good. I like JD xuvs. Decent ground speed, excellent suspension, and will haul the house!

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #36  
I'm sorry guys but I do know what I'm talking about. I've owned three Polaris, two Kawasaki, three Yamaha. The last Yamaha being a side by side, all others being ATVs.

The Polaris is the most troublesome 4wd system and is the hardest to guide/steer. The Sportsman is the cushiest ride and the most stable in off camber situations but takes arm strength to ride. It tries to drive you rather than you driving it.

I'm not picking on them, just pointing out differences. These differences probably bleed over into the side by side models as well.

I ride frequently with a friend that has an early model Polaris RZR. The 4wd system has broken three times, twice I witnessed the breakage which was not under abuse.

Everybody rides their machines differently. I ride hard and fast. I took it by the OP's description of his history that he might also. With that considered, I would avoid a Polaris.

If the intent is to put-put around and occassionally throw something in the bed, buy whatever model appeals to you, they'll all hold up under those conditions.

Merry Christmas!!! :)

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #37  
My mechanic loves Polaris. He stated they are the best customers because of frequent repair and alot of one only parts applications. Personally I wouldn't buy one because I don't have the cash to support problems down the road.
Alot of people must like them because of so many in service. My next new purchase will definately be Honda. Not because I have several Hondas..... the lack of costly maintenance steers me in this direction. My 2 cents on the issue.

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #38  
I have had Yamahas, Suzukis, and Kawasakis cant say any of them were problematic. I bought a Polaris Ranger XP 3 years ago. At the time I had 4 atvs. Over the the course of the first year I ended up getting rid of all of the atvs, just never used them.

I have had the Ranger in places I would never venture with my quads, climbed hills where my passengers jumped out before I started up, and now I currently plow a 900 foot driveway with it and have a buyers spreader hanging off the back that weighs 350# loaded. Oh, and i take the kids to the bus stop daily, zip back and forth between my shop and the house constantly. Never one ounce of trouble. 145 hours and counting (45 in the last 4 months). Never even a hicup.

The 4WD system is incredible and these machines are basically bulletproof in my experience.

I thought about a new one with powersteering, but now am going to install an aftermarket (unisteer) system. I am in the market for a Quad again. I can't take the ranger from my property (wife loves it too) when I go hunting and I have so much "work" stuff on it now that i dont want to damage.

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #39  
We bought out Polaris ranger about 7 months ago. Its been great ever since. It only has 25 miles on it, and maybe60 hours.

Handles great, rides great, and the 4wd system is great.

We bought it because our neighbor has had 2 and never had an issue other then a few broken axles (he really pushes his luck with things.)

We use to have a 6x4 like a gator and it jsut didnt turn.

A good friend of mine has a Gator XUV or whatever it is called, and after riding and driving the ranger, he's put his for sale and picked up a 10 Crew.

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #40  
Thanks to Keith and Miles to Empty for making my point. If you are after occasional, light use, go Polaris, you might get by with only a few broken axles as mentioned by MTE.

I consider 145 hrs in three years and/or 25 miles in seven months light use. :)