Comparison Looking at L4600, Mx5100 and M5140

/ Looking at L4600, Mx5100 and M5140 #41  
you cant go wrong with the MX5100 tractor.

/ Looking at L4600, Mx5100 and M5140 #42  
Thanks for the feedback. How do you like the MX5100?

Well, I've written this in other threads but my MX5100 gear drive is the finest tractor I have ever owned. I'm a purist that waxes his tractor but also uses it and it must work as expected when I want it to work. I don't have a loader on this but I feel the shuttle shift it has would work fine with one. I like it as is and don't baby it.

It's cheap on fuel, great on power and lugging and is "intuitive" in that the levers are where I think they are. It's pretty, in fact a work of art, and balanced like a tuning fork. Kubota, in 40 years, has come from mere survival to the team to beat in the small tractor market and the one to be afraid of in the mid-size 100 HP area. I don't want to like a Japanese product but I do because it's the best out there. Pretty basic stuff.

/ Looking at L4600, Mx5100 and M5140 #43  
Have to agree with the others, its is a great machine!!!

/ Looking at L4600, Mx5100 and M5140
You are right, R4's don't sell well on larger tractors. I could PM you an M6040 or 7040 photo with R4's that is in great shape and low hours but no takers.

I would be interested in seeing these if you can PM them to me I would appreciate it.

/ Looking at L4600, Mx5100 and M5140 #45  
You are right, R4's don't sell well on larger tractors. I could PM you an M6040 or 7040 photo with R4's that is in great shape and low hours but no takers. R-1's in FWA are tough on the grass so I use 2WD and am reasonably careful. No damage unless the ground is wet. I put in lawns and occasionally use my 8000 lb Deere 5520 in the dry weather of summer and I can discern do difference in ground damage unless the R-1's are in FWA and I make tight turns under speed.

Lawns are way more durable than people give them credit for. I have R-4's on smaller 4200 lb tractors and R-1's on my MX5100, etc and JD5520 and all are OK. I really don't see much difference on grass. Now, I didn't always think this way and really agonized over 1's and 4's on the MX5100. In my view, much concern over nothing and puckering got a grip on me for a while till I relaxed. For field work, however, there is a definate difference between R1's and 4's and 4's won't cut it. You are not going to hurt fields in dry Tennessee in the summer. How many damaged fiels do you see when you drive around? I'll bet none or nearly none.

Maybe look at it this way; where will you use the tractor most and where will it be most important to you? Either way you won't go all that far wrong. Just don't get hung up on R-4's thinking they are some sort of majical. They aren't.

By the way, R-4's have way less ground clearance and cause more compaction in clay soil. I'll bet you need ground clearance and I'll bet you have clay and that compaction is an issue. Again, my 2 cents here.

With the R4s having more square inches on the ground, why is it that you feel that the R4s compact the ground more? I would think that it would be just the opposite. :confused:

/ Looking at L4600, Mx5100 and M5140 #47  
With the R4s having more square inches on the ground, why is it that you feel that the R4s compact the ground more? I would think that it would be just the opposite. :confused:

Personal experience.
Well, R-4's would be less compaction if the soil were totally and completely dry down maybe six inches. If there is ANY dampness in the ground the R-4s pack the ground on the surface much harder than you can imagine, especially after it dries out. When I run a ripper 14 inches through compacted R-4 ground it brings up way more chunks of clay and pulls much harder than with R-1's. The R-1's only contact the ground intermittently on the tread bars while the R-4's are nearly totally flat is what I figure.

/ Looking at L4600, Mx5100 and M5140 #48  
Personal experience.
Well, R-4's would be less compaction if the soil were totally and completely dry down maybe six inches. If there is ANY dampness in the ground the R-4s pack the ground on the surface much harder than you can imagine, especially after it dries out. When I run a ripper 14 inches through compacted R-4 ground it brings up way more chunks of clay and pulls much harder than with R-1's. The R-1's only contact the ground intermittently on the tread bars while the R-4's are nearly totally flat is what I figure.

I would think that the taller bars (putting all the weight on just that narrow bar) along with the narrower tire width would have more compaction. :confused3: I have about 1/2 of 1% clay where I'm at, if that, so I really have no idea what working in-with clay is even like. ;)

/ Looking at L4600, Mx5100 and M5140 #49  
I would think that the taller bars (putting all the weight on just that narrow bar) along with the narrower tire width would have more compaction. :confused3: I have about 1/2 of 1% clay where I'm at, if that, so I really have no idea what working in-with clay is even like. ;)

very clay here as well, all I know is they (R4s) dont damage my logging road as much , a lot less in fact

also they offer better stability when I leave said road and venture between trees on bumps and such, tougher as in more puncture resistant on branches and small pointy stumps

tire choice is all about the application they are needed for

/ Looking at L4600, Mx5100 and M5140 #50  
very clay here as well, all I know is they (R4s) dont damage my logging road as much , a lot less in fact

also they offer better stability when I leave said road and venture between trees on bumps and such, tougher as in more puncture resistant on branches and small pointy stumps

tire choice is all about the application they are needed for

Perfect example of why we should not talk in absolutes. Just because it happens to be "fact" for one person does not indicate that it is for ANYONE else. :thumbsup: ;)