Comparison Looking at L4600, Mx5100 and M5140

/ Looking at L4600, Mx5100 and M5140 #31  
So confused...which models have the tandem external lift cylinders?

/ Looking at L4600, Mx5100 and M5140 #32  
The GL series have the external lift cylinders L5140 is a GL.

/ Looking at L4600, Mx5100 and M5140 #34  

Can you identify the external tandem list cylinders? in general grand L's , 30 or 40 series have them like pictured below.

DSC05124.jpg

below is one on bigger John Deere tractor.

DSC07604.jpg

usually external lift might have bigger lift capacity and very little diassembly is required to repair and replace leaky seal. 5140 has external lift cylinder and 4600 and MX5100/4700 have internal that is one larger cylinder bore right under the seat. Withe the main seal and a back up for MX5100/4700 and L4600 it will be many many years before replacement becomes necessary and it is not a huge repair either.

JC,

/ Looking at L4600, Mx5100 and M5140
Getting ready to pull the trigger on either a M5140 Hydro-Shuttle or a MX5100 HST with 4WD, R4's, FEL, SSQA and 3rd function valve for the loader to run a grapple. Best quotes (cash) I have so far are $29,700 for the M5140 and $25,000 for the MX. Probably leaning towards the MX5100 HST.

Anyone currently running R4's on the M Series tractors? How have they performed on a tractor with that size / weight? I will be using this tractor for both field work (cutting) and general maintenance. Would prefer the R4's for the maintenance work and will definitely get them on the MX5100, just wondering how they would perform on the M Series.

Hope to get this finalized and ordered this week!

/ Looking at L4600, Mx5100 and M5140 #36  
I have R-1 ag tires on my MX5100 and they work great in both yard and field. Unless it's a dedicated yard tractor, I have found the R-1 ag tires better suited to both tasks. On a heavier tractor--say 6500 lbs and up I think R4's would work better in a yard situation but I have an 8000 lb Deere 5520 FWA with radials and it's only a problem in the yard maybe 1% of the time. The R4's that I have on smaller tractors are find in the yard--they still make marks---but you lose half the horsepower in an ag situation and if it's damp they load up with clay. Yard work is a finite experience and ends after a few years. Field work continues forever. Just my free advice here.

I will not be using the tractor for mowing near the house, I have a ZTR that I use for finish yard work. I will be using the tractor for mowing acreage around the house with a rotary cutter and a lot of tree clearing and grapple work. I was thinking R4's for several reasons. The grapple / loader work will be a lot of turning / back and forth etc... and I was concerned about how damage that would do to the field. Also, I thought the R4's would hold up better for lifting trees with the grapple. The R1's on the M5140 I have looked at seem so narrow that it seems they might not hold up as well as the R4's for lifting trees with the grapple or other heavy loader work.

However, I was thinking that the R4's might not be ideal on a larger framed heavier tractor like the M50/60/70 series. If the ground is dry, how much field damage do the R1's create when doing typical loader / grapple work? I don't want to give up traction if it is needed for the tasks, but would prefer not to damage the field more than necessary either.

I have also received some advice that I would hurt the resale value of a M series tractor if I put R4's on it because nobody would want R4's on a tractor that size? Is that true?

/ Looking at L4600, Mx5100 and M5140 #38  
   / Looking at L4600, Mx5100 and M5140 #39  
You are right, R4's don't sell well on larger tractors. I could PM you an M6040 or 7040 photo with R4's that is in great shape and low hours but no takers. R-1's in FWA are tough on the grass so I use 2WD and am reasonably careful. No damage unless the ground is wet. I put in lawns and occasionally use my 8000 lb Deere 5520 in the dry weather of summer and I can discern do difference in ground damage unless the R-1's are in FWA and I make tight turns under speed.

Lawns are way more durable than people give them credit for. I have R-4's on smaller 4200 lb tractors and R-1's on my MX5100, etc and JD5520 and all are OK. I really don't see much difference on grass. Now, I didn't always think this way and really agonized over 1's and 4's on the MX5100. In my view, much concern over nothing and puckering got a grip on me for a while till I relaxed. For field work, however, there is a definate difference between R1's and 4's and 4's won't cut it. You are not going to hurt fields in dry Tennessee in the summer. How many damaged fiels do you see when you drive around? I'll bet none or nearly none.

Maybe look at it this way; where will you use the tractor most and where will it be most important to you? Either way you won't go all that far wrong. Just don't get hung up on R-4's thinking they are some sort of majical. They aren't.

By the way, R-4's have way less ground clearance and cause more compaction in clay soil. I'll bet you need ground clearance and I'll bet you have clay and that compaction is an issue. Again, my 2 cents here.

Thanks for the feedback. How do you like the MX5100?