Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel

/ Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel #1  

r0GuE

Veteran Member
Tractor
ex-Bota Owner
I tried 10W-40 Amsoil and it was WAY too rough in the dead of winter when first starting. I need to go back to 10W-30 (my annual oil change is due), but I would still like to stay synth. Anybody a firm believer in one or another brand?

Thanks all!

/ Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel #2  
Why not use Amsoil's 5W-30?

/ Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel #3  
I prefer RedLine---it may cost a bit more but you get a bit more. If you are ok with good but not the ultimate there are others.
Some say the specs are "pretty close" on Amsoil but pretty close meaning Amsoil is lower on the good numbers than Red Line.
I think both are better than crude oil products.
I personally avoid Pennzoil due to what we see in the repair field.
see www.redlineoil.com

Attachments

• 745330-3EsHxueeumCPDkSiNFvTegWfwP2v.jpg
    745330-3EsHxueeumCPDkSiNFvTegWfwP2v.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 164
   / Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel #4  
TL,
I am shocked that the horse in your attachment does as well as he does on Synthetic Oil! Has he always had a penchant for Red Line, or has he been reading this forum?

Ha /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ,
Steve

/ Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel #5  
r0Gue,

I think, as Mike the moderator alluded to, you should be looking more for oil weight preferences in Winter, rather than brand preferences. As you know, brand preferences will lead to an outcome of mutually assured annihilation and this thread will end up deleted... but weight issues may yield real discussion, so long as most women steer clear of this, as they tend to be a little sensitive when it comes to weight. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve

/ Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ( I prefer RedLine---it may cost a bit more but you get a bit more. If you are ok with good but not the ultimate there are others.
Some say the specs are "pretty close" on Amsoil but pretty close meaning Amsoil is lower on the good numbers than Red Line.
I think both are better than crude oil products.
I personally avoid Pennzoil due to what we see in the repair field.
see www.redlineoil.com )</font>

So what are the numbers here?

/ Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( r0Gue,

I think, as Mike the moderator alluded to, you should be looking more for oil weight preferences in Winter, rather than brand preferences. As you know, brand preferences will lead to an outcome of mutually assured annihilation and this thread will end up deleted... but weight issues may yield real discussion, so long as most women steer clear of this, as they tend to be a little sensitive when it comes to weight. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve )</font>

I'm certainly not looking for a brand war. I am also not looking for anything but 10W-30. I thaought I was smarter than the Kubota engineers when I went to 15W-40 on someones reccomendation. The poor winter starting performance made me feel as though I were destroying the machine.

I just want to find a good synth manufacturer that makes a 10W-30 in deisel rated form. Amsoil does not, so I need another option. I haven't found any local.

Thanks again!

/ Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel #9  
I use Mobil 1 5w30 in my JD.

Your starting oil viscosity in even 0w30 will be higher than what it is at operating temperature. Why reluctance to go lower than 10wxx grade?

If I were starting an engine at lower temps than what we get in Va, I'd be using 0w30 if I could get it. 0w40 seems to be available.

Ralph

/ Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel #10  
If I came as far south as your location in the winter, I'd have to change into shorts and a T-shirt!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I have used Amsoil 10W-40 but am switching to their Series 3000 5W-30 diesel oil shortly. I plan to run that all year.