Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel

/ Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel #21  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( The first number in the xxWxx series is the viscosity range at 40 C (104 F). The second number is the viscosity range at 100 C (212 F).

Ralph )</font>

Here's Mobil's fact sheet on Delvac 1 in a pdf file.

/ Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I agree, based on the numbers, it sounds fuel related. The oil is good down to -58 F. )</font>

I do not use a engine heater and I store in an unheated shed. I use shell fuel conditioner. When first starting, and for perhaps a minute after, running the 15W-40 HD.. Amsoil, the tracter engine bucked and balked and the oil light remianed lit.

The first year I had it, I ran 10W-30 dino oil, and it ran like a champ. In fact, someone had reccomended the 15W-40, so I changed to that (dino) the 2nd year, and that was when I noticed the problem. So the 3rd year I switched to the Amsoil (same viscosity). That in itself did not correct the starting. Perhaps a 5W-40 synthetic is the way to go.?,..

I have not changed the fuel filters yet, but it runs fantasitc right now (at 70 degrees outside). It is only in the very low temps that it has the issues starting.. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel #23  
very odd.

I used 15w-40 in my JD 455 for 3 years and then 2 in my BX22 without any issue. Used it in my old powerchoke and started fine. Samething also, no heater and no heat garage.

I just say it is weird since (both diesel)
amsoil 15w-40 has pour of -51 F so pumping is good at -31 F
Amsoil Series 5w-30 pour is -60 F so pumpig is good at -40 F

There nomal ASL 5w-30 (gas)is only good to -47 F, pump is -27.

Even Rotella 5w-40 is only good to -40 below or pump is -20

Also do not use fuel adds either.

Just something is very odd but the numbers.

/ Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel #24  
So to prove your point go back to 10W-30 dino oil, without changing anything else (like the fuel filter)

/ Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel #25  
Actually, I was wrong. The viscosity grades are based on SAE J300 specs. One good table for these is www.finalube.com/reference_material/ SAE_Viscosity_Grades_For_Engine_Oils.htm (If you want to go to this, you'd best copy the whole thing and paste it into the address or "URL" window of your internet explorer.)

The first number refers to the cold cranking viscosity measured in cP (centipoise). The second number is the cS(centistokes) viscosity at 100 C.

As I recall, cP is absolute viscosity in hundredths of a Poise; whereas, cS is cP/second. They're just different values used to measure viscosity. The second number came from long-ago viscosity values measured in Saybolt Seconds Universal. Forty grade, for instance, would have been 40 SSU @ 210 F in the old days.

Ralph

/ Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Actually, I was wrong. The viscosity grades are based on SAE J300 specs. One good table for these is www.finalube.com/reference_material/ SAE_Viscosity_Grades_For_Engine_Oils.htm (If you want to go to this, you'd best copy the whole thing and paste it into the address or "URL" window of your internet explorer.) )</font>

That's a pretty good resource, here it is posted again:
SAE Viscosity Grades for Engine Oils.

So it is a winter standard, and it's at a much colder temp than I thought.

Pat

/ Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel
I think for the simplicity of the matter, that I may just do that. I think I was running Kubota brand, and then went to valveoline..

/ Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel #28  
Amsoil has a 10w30 diesel oil (ACD), But I prefer their 5w30 diesel oil.
In any case, I would think it would take a very thick motor oil (or extremely cold ambient temperature) to account for the symptoms you describe.
I installed a block heater on my L3410 (overkill here in Maryland) and it starts up the same as in the dog days of summer!

/ Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel #29  
I agree. A dino oil will be worst then the ones I posted above, pour point wise. My 15w-40 world fine for years. To me the KV at 40 or 100 C is pointless at -5 F below.

There ACD oil is only a -36 pour on it. So it the real world, worst case, the pumping temp is -16 F.

I am using there 5w-30 HDD oil and have yet to see or feel any differance. I will run the 1-year and then oil test and compare to there 15w-40 HDD&M I ran last year. So far, the huge delta in price better yield those numbers in wear savings or TBN savings. etc

/ Looking for good Synth 10W-30 for Diesel #30  
How do you arrive at a pumping temperature from the pour point temp? Is it like some percentage?
For Maryland it rarely dips into even single digits (+) so I could easily run a 15w. For those tractor maintenance nuts like me, you simply can't beat a block heater.