Buying Advice Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment.

/ Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment. #11  
   / Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment.
Has your 1/4 acre been broken / plowed before?

Are you intending a kitchen garden or permanent landscape beds which will require plowing only once?

KUBOTA WEB SITE:

Kitchen garden. Been plowed and disked before, have brinly hardy 10”plow on craftsman gt 5000. Hard to get enough traction to plow smoothly. Has tractor treads, ballast, and weights. Almost bearable. Same brand disc. Craftsman GT 5000 has no hydraulics, or 3 pt

/ Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment. #13  

Craftsman GT5000​

Craftsman 917.28947 lawn tractor photo
2009 - 2010
GT5000 Series
Garden tractor
Husqvarna built

Weight644 lbs
292 kg

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Tractor capability is more closely correlated to tractor weight than any other single (1) specification.

The median bare weight of subcompact category tractors is around 1,400 pounds. Unfortunately, you have to pay for every pound.

I do not know of any subcompact category tractor without 4-WD and at least a two range transmission.

Last edited:
   / Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment.
thanks haven’t thought about that

/ Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment. #15  
Varied opinions on tractor weight:

Last edited:
   / Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment. #16  
If you want the absolute best tool for that job, Look for a 1951 or 1952 Ford model 8n, a 12” 2-bottom 3-point plow, and a 6 ft 3-point disk.

No other tractor, made before or after, has better parts availability. There’s also many of them around. You should be able to find one in excellent condition for under $ 3k.

I used mine to turn over 1/4 acre of my front yard and plant sweetcorn this year. It worked wonderful:

85FEED72-4655-452D-B2D7-0FD8F0FC7F14.jpeg

86977A0F-57E7-47DB-ABE7-E2886FE0C706.jpeg

That section of lawn was very rough, so it needed to be worked up and re-seeded. Late August is the best time to seed a new lawn. That’s also the time that early sweetcorn will all be harvested and eaten.

In a couple weeks, I’ll Bush-hog the corn stalks, disk it again, and “double crop” it with Kentucky bluegrass.

It’s been great all summer, only needing to spend 45 minutes cutting my formerly 1 acre lawn, rather than over an hour like it took me on previous years. It’s also been nice, not having to run back in the fields, to get fresh corn for dinner. Keeping it watered, thru the 3 week spring drought, was also very easy with a short garden hose and lawn sprinkler.

/ Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment. #17  
Use a rototiller instead. Set the depth & be done with it. I did 8 acres in a weekend. Multiple passes. No need for discing, packing, or worrying about traction.

/ Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment. #18  
Use a rototiller instead. Set the depth & be done with it. I did 8 acres in a weekend. Multiple passes. No need for discing, packing, or worrying about traction.
Maybe he’s got rocks. Rototillers are no good on rocks.

/ Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment. #19  
Maybe he’s got rocks. Rototillers are no good on rocks.

Everyone has rocks.

A plow won't cut through ROCK. A tiller won't either. I'm assuming we're not talking about slicing through bedrock.

My 5' tiller jumps and bounces when it hits a big rock. No doubt about that. But a plow would hang up too and wouldn't magically remove the rock.

On a patch of land this small, the easiest way to cut it up and smooth it out is with a tiller. How would more rocks make a plow a better option?

/ Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment. #20  
Searching for buying advice on garden tractor, with 3 pt, rear PTO, strong enough to plow, no need for mower.
Can be used, or new.
I have had a Kioti for about 10 years and I love it. I only bought a new one to get a larger unit. I've never had any problems or trouble with Kioti.

Dealers are another problem altogether. Here in Ontario our Dealers are few and far between when it comes to Kioti. And I haven't met a truly stellar dealer yet.

If I had the money I'd consider opening my own Dealership. How hard could due diligence and Customer service be?