Buying Advice Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment.

/ Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment. #21  
Another option which is often forgotten is the Simplicity Legacy XL garden tractor. I think Simplicity stopped making them in the last 5 years or so, but they were made for 20+ before that. They could be had in 2WD or 4WD, Kohler Command gas or Briggs diesel, and some had a 3-point hitch and a loader option. All had power steering and power deck lift for the mower, if equipped. 5 gallon fuel tank, tachometer, headlights and tail lights, rear fuel fill, fuel gauge, illuminated instruments. All had a rear diff lock. Very nice well made machines at a considerably better price than the Deere X700 series, and just as capable. You might be able to find one on the used market. However, a Kubota BX - even an old one - is considerably "more" machine and probably not much difference in money, so check pricing carefully.

/ Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment. #22  
Op, I don't know what your long-term plans are for this 1/4 acre. I have a 1/4 acre garden patch that I'm wanting to expand next year. I use a BCS with a 30" tiller. My brother has one that gets used some as well, but mine is the primary machine. I would till up sod with my tiller. It might take a couple passes to get it deep enough. I've broken up sod with my rototiller and it works OK. I don't try to till it all in one day if I'm breaking up new sod. I'll let the top dry out some before I hit it again. (How long you let it set might depend on where you live.) If you really are set on the mold board plow option, BCS has plows. I'll attach some pics. The tracks aren't a cheap option. I'm not recommending the tracks necessarily, they're just cool 😎 😃 I used my BCS to cultivate between the rows later on. Basically, the BCS can do what a 4 wheeled tractor can do but not as fast. Which is fine for smaller areas up to an acre (my opinion)

Attachments

• 20230325_180428.jpg
    20230325_180428.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_20230821_130515_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230821_130515_Samsung Internet.jpg
    702.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20230821_130620_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230821_130620_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
   / Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment. #23  
The cheapest (?) solution would be an older 2wd compact diesel like a Kubota B7100/6200 etc. I had one in the past, and it was a perfect true garden tractor with locking diff, PTO and 3pt hitch. Definitely very light, so plowing might be a challenge - but better than any gas powered garden tractor.

/ Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment. #24  
A cousin left 2 garden tractors out here equipped with the equipment and some attachments. Now for the thing, you are in Michigan and the smaller tractor is here in California. Is MTD a brand? I think that is the brand name. I've enough problems with full size tractors that can scrape an 8' path on the road per pass. So really know little to nothing about the small ones. Long ago I was driving into work near NYC and a riding lawn mower in front of a gorgeous estate said, "FREE." I took it, 2nd time mowing my 3/4 lot in the NW NJ woods the fuel line came apart and sprayed exhaust manifold with gas. I threw myself off it backwards while wife holding our brand new daughter was screaming inside the house.

/ Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment. #25  
I use a Kubota L3010 (30 horsepower), 4 wheel drive which I bought in 2001 (that's 22 years ago). It will pull 2 plows either 12 or 14 inch with no problem. I also keep the farm mowed with a 7 foot pull type brush hog- plenty of power. These tractors are about the same price as the smaller "garden variety" but will do a lot more work. I have a 3 ph backhoe which has been a life saver both fixing water lines and installing new water and electric underground. The one tool that I have used most during the past 22 years is the front loader- for hauling things, pulling out old posts, cleaning stalls, digging out unbelievable amounts of stuff.
I'm now 80 years old and if I ever trade tractors (mine still runs like new) it will be another 4 wheel drive; which is more important than what brand tractor you get.
Rusty Horse Ranch in 2015.JPG

/ Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment. #26  
Searching for buying advice on garden tractor, with 3 pt, rear PTO, strong enough to plow, no need for mower.
Can be used, or new.
It may seem like an over kill, but I say no smaller than 50 HP.
Searching for buying advice on garden tractor, with 3 pt, rear PTO, strong enough to plow, no need for mower.
Can be used, or new.

/ Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment. #27  
Case 444/446/448

J.I. Case 444​

J.I. Case 444 lawn tractor photo
1969 - 1988
Model year

400 Series
Garden tractor
Series map:

12.0hp
14.0hp
16.0hp

Production
ManufacturerJ.I. Case
Garden tractor
Built in Winneconne, Wisconsin, USA

J.I. Case 444 Engine
14HP Kohler 512cc 1-cyl gasoline
Engine details ...

Mechanical
Two-wheel drive
Band brakes
Open operator station.

Capacity
Fuel3 gal
11.4 L
Hydraulic system1.25 gal
4.7 L

Hydraulics
Typeopen center
Capacity1.25 gal
4.7 L
Pressure2000 psi
137.9 bar
Pump flow8 gpm
30.3 lpm

Tractor hitch
Typesleeve hitch Opt

Dimensions & Tires
Wheelbase46 inches
116 cm
Weight770 lbs
349 kg
Front tire6.50-8
Rear tire8.00-16
Full dimensions and tires ...

/ Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment. #28  
Quarter acre? A really high end rear tire tiller will be more than enough. Been there and done it.

/ Looking for new or used garden tractor, something strong enough to plow, PTO, 3 pt hitch, don’t need mower attachment. #30  
Case 444/446/448

J.I. Case 444​

J.I. Case 444 lawn tractor photo
1969 - 1988
Model year

400 Series
Garden tractor
Series map:

12.0hp
14.0hp
16.0hp

Production
ManufacturerJ.I. Case
Garden tractor
Built in Winneconne, Wisconsin, USA

J.I. Case 444 Engine
14HP Kohler 512cc 1-cyl gasoline
Engine details ...

Mechanical
Two-wheel drive
Band brakes
Open operator station.

Capacity
Fuel3 gal
11.4 L
Hydraulic system1.25 gal
4.7 L

Hydraulics
Typeopen center
Capacity1.25 gal
4.7 L
Pressure2000 psi
137.9 bar
Pump flow8 gpm
30.3 lpm

Tractor hitch
Typesleeve hitch Opt

Dimensions & Tires
Wheelbase46 inches
116 cm
Weight770 lbs
349 kg
Front tire6.50-8
Rear tire8.00-16
Full dimensions and tires ...

Gotta love turf tires with chains . . . . . !!!