Looking to buy a tractor

/ Looking to buy a tractor #11  
if you do go the backhoe route get a sunframe made up, they put a LOT of load on the superstructure otherwise.
The backhoes sold here are often undersized (mostly run at lower hydraulic pressure) for the tractor they are going to, plus they tie the backhoe to other points of the tractor in addiction to the 3 pt.

26167199_1586003054828670_8586964170766244631_n.jpg

/ Looking to buy a tractor #12  
I would strongly think about the backhoe option, as it tends to be very expensive. Consider if the amount of digging will be often enough that renting a mini-excavator - assuming that's available locally - would be inconvenient, as they tend to be much better diggers.

My personal calculus here was that I need to dig often enough that the avoiding the inconvenience and time loss to get and return a rented digger outweighed the cost of the backhoe, and I was willing to spend more up front than I'd likely pay in rental fees in over the course of five years for that convenience (I can put the backhoe on the tractor in less time than it takes to drive to town, let alone return with the digger and then return it later - assuming that the digger is available on the day I want to use it).

/ Looking to buy a tractor #13  
Ptsg probably has the best insight into that as well. Do they have a robust rental market in Portugal?

I agree, unless you have annually recurring need for backhoe or a very strong need for control, backhoes are better rented as needed where available...as in mini -ex, not an attachment.

/ Looking to buy a tractor #14  
Ptsg probably has the best insight into that as well. Do they have a robust rental market in Portugal?

I agree, unless you have annually recurring need for backhoe or a very strong need for control, backhoes are better rented as needed where available...as in mini -ex, not an attachment.

So, here in Portugal, and pretty sure the rest of Europe too, you need like a training course to operate any construction equipment. It's basically a training course done in X amount of hours (don't know the exact number). In the end, you get a little card with the course info and the approved stamp, almost like a driving license card.

With this being said, the rental places can only rent machines to whoever has this course done. Or they have to rent the machine + operator which will only increase the costs further more.

For the OP, buying a 3 pt backhoe is the way to go. He can work whenever he wants and feels to without being dependent on others availability. These backhoes often appear in the used market around 3000€ to 4000€ and can often get exactly what he paid for if he decides to sell it.

/ Looking to buy a tractor #15  
Welcome @xtech to TBN! I am glad you have ptsg available to give good advice! I look forward to seeing what you end up buying and seeing some of your work! Best of luck!

/ Looking to buy a tractor
For the OP, buying a 3 pt backhoe is the way to go. He can work whenever he wants and feels to without being dependent on others availability. These backhoes often appear in the used market around 3000€ to 4000€ and can often get exactly what he paid for if he decides to sell it.
Yes, that is what i think too!
And the best part is that i can do things exactly the way i want.

the rental places can only rent machines to whoever has this course done.
I didn't know that. Well, one more reason to buy a backhoe. I haven't done the course yet, but i intend to do it in the future when i have more time available.

Today i'm gonna see this:
1695466045530.png

The price is nice enough (5700€), it has a licence plate and i have researched and there is a portuguese representative, so spares should not be a problem, i guess. The low price makes room for the backhoe and some other implements i would need.

But i need to know first if it has power steering. Other than that, everything seems to fit. One mistrust: the paint shines like new... i guess it was repainted. I hope it wasn't a quick fix to cover rust...

If the deal is not good, i'll probably consider buy a new Solis, after what you said. Maybe the 26 or 26 XL, there is a gread promotion where they bundle 5 implements with it, thus saving me some money.

Welcome @xtech to TBN! I am glad you have ptsg available to give good advice! I look forward to seeing what you end up buying and seeing some of your work! Best of luck!
Thank you @K5lwq! Indeed, he has already been of great help! The decision on a new tractor will be taken in the next 2 weeks, as i cannot postpone it much further. I'll keep you guys posted about it!

/ Looking to buy a tractor #18  
Yes, that is what i think too!
And the best part is that i can do things exactly the way i want.

I didn't know that. Well, one more reason to buy a backhoe. I haven't done the course yet, but i intend to do it in the future when i have more time available.

Today i'm gonna see this:
View attachment 822834

The price is nice enough (5700€), it has a licence plate and i have researched and there is a portuguese representative, so spares should not be a problem, i guess. The low price makes room for the backhoe and some other implements i would need.

But i need to know first if it has power steering. Other than that, everything seems to fit. One mistrust: the paint shines like new... i guess it was repainted. I hope it wasn't a quick fix to cover rust...

If the deal is not good, i'll probably consider buy a new Solis, after what you said. Maybe the 26 or 26 XL, there is a gread promotion where they bundle 5 implements with it, thus saving me some money.
I can see the steering linkage on the right side in the picture and doesn't have power steering. Also, the Hinomoto Portugal representatives are only for the new models which are actually TYM tractors painted in orange.

The older Hinomotos are very hard to find parts, unfortunately.

If I were to buy a new tractor now, the Solis S26XL would be at the very top on my list along with the Kioti CK2630 (more expensive) and the Farmtrac FT26.

Hi again! So i've done business already. And the selected was..

trator-new-holland-boomer-25.jpg

New Holland Boomer 25... used with 700 hours on the clock. I hope i've made a good choice and its use reliable enough. It hás a Mitsubishi 26 HP engine.

I am now searching for a small backhoe. NH has One that i fell on love with it but for some reason i cannot find its price anywhere and i dont know if it fits the Boomer 25:

/ Looking to buy a tractor #20  
Hi again! So i've done business already. And the selected was..

trator-new-holland-boomer-25.jpg

New Holland Boomer 25... used with 700 hours on the clock. I hope i've made a good choice and its use reliable enough. It hás a Mitsubishi 26 HP engine.

I am now searching for a small backhoe. NH has One that i fell on love with it but for some reason i cannot find its price anywhere and i dont know if it fits the Boomer 25:

Congrats on the new tractor. It's made by LS but you can get parts both ways, either New Holland or LS if you end up needing.

For the backhoe, you won't be able to find that model "in this side of the pond" and it's only meant for the US market. You'll find something very similar though, just different brand and paint.

If you can, I suggest that you get one with sideshift on the boom if you can find it for that size of tractor. This is a great feature because you can then often the arm one way or the other so you don't have to dig with the arm right in front of you, blocking the view. It also allows you to dig close to a wall. Plus, you can ofset it to one sid and fold the arm all the way, making for very compact setup.

Either way, you'll need counterweights for the front of the tractor.

Some examples for mini tractors:

20_7.jpg
23_6.jpg
20230310-092822978-ios_orig.jpg

Some sources:

Attachments

• 22687539_1513817565380553_4307904226644069162_n.jpg
    22687539_1513817565380553_4307904226644069162_n.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 34