Looking to buy a tractor

/ Looking to buy a tractor #31  
You're more than welcome to come here. It's a small country with loooots to see and some awesome wine, beers and food to taste. :)
I've got a decent bit of "Portugal" in my spare room / "wine cellar" 😜
Apparently I was in Portugal when I was 5, but I don't remember it.

/ Looking to buy a tractor
I've got a decent bit of "Portugal" in my spare room / "wine cellar" 😜
Apparently I was in Portugal when I was 5, but I don't remember it.
hahah that is great!

There is great pride in the wine made here! People tend to see it as an extension of their ingenuity and skills, and feel very proud when someones compliments their wine. Actually the man who sold me the tractor made a point of showing me his grape mill and its wine barrels. He didn't let me get out before having a taste of the wine he produced. I had to tell him i had to drive more a of a hundred kilometers to get home and i could not drink more than a glass of it!

He was selling the tractor because he has bought two big wineyards and the 25hp were not enough anymore... the power of the tractor should be proportional to the size of the cellar 😆

Hi everyone! Sorry not providing more updates, but the winter has been unusually rainy (even in this inner part of Portugal that doesn't get that much rain), so i've ended up not doing much with my tractor. In the meantime i had an oil leak in the steering system, which was found to be the rubber sealants in the near the front wheel knee.caps.

Now going to the news: i've bought a backhoe for my NH Boomer 25! 🥳
I've managed to get a "like new" one with about 6 hours of use, at a 40% discount price comparing to a new one.
This how it looks:

tractor.jpg

It is a chinese "white label" BH M95 model, for 15-25 bhp tractors. Small, but enough for my needs.

I am having a problem though: i cannot get it leveled. As you can see it is tilting towards the tractor:
backhoe.jpg

Having analyzed everything, the culprit is this kind of "y-bar", connected to the 3rd point. It is too small, it should be like 7 or 8 inches longer so it will decrease tilt angle towards zero:

ybar.jpg

The thing is, i don't know how what is the name of this part and if there are longer bars. Do you know how it is called?

Last edited:
   / Looking to buy a tractor #34  
We would call that a top link. Did the tractor come with one? It appears what you have now came with the backhoe?
I opted for a hydraulic top link, so I can adjust it from the operator seat. But in your case a manual one would be fine.
3-point-hitch-linkage.png

/ Looking to buy a tractor #35  
Hi everyone! Sorry not providing more updates, but the winter has been unusually rainy (even in this inner part of Portugal that doesn't get that much rain), so i've ended up not doing much with my tractor. In the meantime i had an oil leak in the steering system, which was found to be the rubber sealants in the near the front wheel knee.caps.

I've managed to get a "like new" one with about 6 hours of use, at a 40% discount price comparing to a new one.
This how it looks:

The thing is, i don't know how what is the name of this part and if there are longer bars. Do you know how it is called?

I had a BH much like that years ago. Very handy. I bet you will like it.

Does your NH Boomer 25 have draft control? If so, don't forget disable it. Very dangerous...I nearly got squashed by mine one day when I put down pressure on the BH bucket and that activated the the tractor's 3pt automatic draft control.

Same problem with the top link. I found there was a longer adjustable top link in the scrap pile. It came off an old JD, I think. Much better part.

/ Looking to buy a tractor #36  

This how it looks:

View attachment 855456

It is a chinese "white label" BH M95 model, for 15-25 bhp tractors. Small, but enough for my needs.

I am having a problem though: i cannot get it leveled. As you can see it is tilting towards the tractor:
View attachment 855457

Having analyzed everything, the culprit is this kind of "y-bar", connected to the 3rd point. It is too small, it should be like 7 or 8 inches longer so it will decrease tilt angle towards zero:

View attachment 855458

That's a nice deal on that backhoe. How does the tractor behave with it attached? Does the front get too light?

As far as the top bar, you kinda need that setup in place, since the two diagonal bars will prevent the backhoe from just pushing the 3 pt up. You may need to find a shop that can make a longer top bar or just extend the current one so the backhoe sits level again.

We would call that a top link. Did the tractor come with one? It appears what you have now came with the backhoe?
I opted for a hydraulic top link, so I can adjust it from the operator seat. But in your case a manual one would be fine.
Yes, mine came with a top link, but it is too long (although adjustable, but still too long). It is clearly to connect with the plow implements and other "normal" implements. I tried with the backhoe, does not work properly.

I had a BH much like that years ago. Very handy. I bet you will like it.

Does your NH Boomer 25 have draft control? If so, don't forget disable it. Very dangerous...I nearly got squashed by mine one day when I put down pressure on the BH bucket and that activated the the tractor's 3pt automatic draft control.

Same problem with the top link. I found there was a longer adjustable top link in the scrap pile. It came off an old JD, I think. Much better part.

I hope so i will, too :). I have lots of things to do with it!
I guess it has draft control, but i'll check it. Thank you for pointing me that about that, definitely i don't want to end up squeezed for sure!

Glad to know that this wasn't "my problem". I was thinking that maybe it was my fault on not getting this right. I guess the chinese were thinking on even smaller tractors when designing this backhoe. I'll try to see i can get an adequate top link!

That's a nice deal on that backhoe. How does the tractor behave with it attached? Does the front get too light?

As far as the top bar, you kinda need that setup in place, since the two diagonal bars will prevent the backhoe from just pushing the 3 pt up. You may need to find a shop that can make a longer top bar or just extend the current one so the backhoe sits level again.

It definitely gets the front much lighter. I have 60KG at the front and i think that may be not enough.

How can i figure out if it is pushing only the 3rd point? I have a quick hitch "ball" system in the lower points, it seems are very tight fit.

Last edited:
A short update on my last post about the top link to the backhoe: I've ordered a custom one, longer and a bit stronger:

IMG_20240321_213800.jpg