Looking to buy a tractor

/ Looking to buy a tractor
Thank you! Great info, i didnt know LS before... so it os not a true NH or LS makes all NH tractors? Well, at least i Will bem able to find parts for it!

Ok, i'll take that into account when buying the backhoe, the sideshift thing serms really helpful.

Btw great links, in the impossibility of getting the NH backhoe, these links are handy. Oficinadoroby is actually alocated at my hometown! The owner (Roby) is even a 3rd degree cousin of mine, and one of my friend is his operations responsible. I'll talk to him to see if i can get a decent price!

/ Looking to buy a tractor #22  
Thank you! Great info, i didnt know LS before... so it os not a true NH or LS makes all NH tractors? Well, at least i Will bem able to find parts for it!

Ok, i'll take that into account when buying the backhoe, the sideshift thing serms really helpful.

Btw great links, in the impossibility of getting the NH backhoe, these links are handy. Oficinadoroby is actually alocated at my hometown! The owner (Roby) is even a 3rd degree cousin of mine, and one of my friend is his operations responsible. I'll talk to him to see if i can get a decent price!
LS makes compacts and sub compacts (or as we call it here, mini tractors) for NH. Basically the Boomer line of NH.

Wow. That's cool that you know Oficina do Roby. I've never deal with them but I've noticed they deal with a lot of stuff related to small tractors. Maybe he will let you try one to see how you liked and how it feels.

You're located way up there in the border. Very beautiful area of the country. I used to go on vacation towards all those areas back in the day. Such awesome views all around.

/ Looking to buy a tractor #23  
Y'all are really making me want to visit Portugal. I probably need to do a 3 month trip to Europe and just see everything I want in one trip. I'm too cheap to make multiple trips. Flights are expensive.

Congrats on the tractor. Keep us posted on your attachments and use!

/ Looking to buy a tractor #24  
Y'all are really making me want to visit Portugal. I probably need to do a 3 month trip to Europe and just see everything I want in one trip. I'm too cheap to make multiple trips. Flights are expensive.

You're more than welcome to come here. It's a small country with loooots to see and some awesome wine, beers and food to taste. :)

Last edited:
LS makes compacts and sub compacts (or as we call it here, mini tractors) for NH. Basically the Boomer line of NH.

Wow. That's cool that you know Oficina do Roby. I've never deal with them but I've noticed they deal with a lot of stuff related to small tractors. Maybe he will let you try one to see how you liked and how it feels.

You're located way up there in the border. Very beautiful area of the country. I used to go on vacation towards all those areas back in the day. Such awesome views all around.
Cool! I didn't know that..

They have hundreds of small tractors for sale... I guess they directly go to Japan and bring them. Most of them do not have a license plate but they have plenty of stuff there. Roby took the small workshop of his father to a new level.

It is a small corner in the "forgotten inland" of Portugal! Beautiful, peaceful, an unfortunately, abandoned by the government which leads young people who go near the shore or abroad for a better life. I was born there, have been living in Porto since 20 years ago. In the beginning of this year I had the opportunity to return, and didn't look back. I don't miss the hours spent in the traffic nor the shopping centers. I have peace here, have more useful time and the kids can play outside without fearing cars.

I highly recommend this little corner of Portugal, well outside the typical tourist routes. Great food, great landscape, history and people. You're all wellcome!!

If you go outside typical tourist places you can do it on a budget, although 3 months around Europe will require a lot of money, especially in France, Germany and Italy. And as @ptsg said, you are very welcome here!! Especially in this little corner of Portugal

My dream is also to spend a month doing US coast to coast in a 60's convertible stoping along the way to know the places, people, culture... having just bought a house and now paying the mortgage (with a high interest rate these days), unfortunately it won't be that soon..

I will keep you guys posted on the tractor attachments!!

Last edited:
   / Looking to buy a tractor #27  
I am now searching for a small backhoe. NH has One that i fell on love with it but for some reason i cannot find its price anywhere and i dont know if it fits the Boomer 25:

Looking at the operator no wander you fell in love... looks really tempting, go for it, forget the backhoe ;)

/ Looking to buy a tractor #28  
Congrats on the new tractor. It's made by LS but you can get parts both ways, either New Holland or LS if you end up needing.

For the backhoe, you won't be able to find that model "in this side of the pond" and it's only meant for the US market. You'll find something very similar though, just different brand and paint.

If you can, I suggest that you get one with sideshift on the boom if you can find it for that size of tractor. This is a great feature because you can then often the arm one way or the other so you don't have to dig with the arm right in front of you, blocking the view. It also allows you to dig close to a wall. Plus, you can ofset it to one sid and fold the arm all the way, making for very compact setup.

Either way, you'll need counterweights for the front of the tractor.

Some examples for mini tractors:

View attachment 826856View attachment 826857

Some sources:

Those backhoes with side-shifting stabilizer legs look to be even more useful than the type with centered swinging stabilizer legs we usually see here in the USA.
Perhaps sideshifters they are available here as 3pt attachments, but I've not seen an example for sale.
I do see them on commercial hoes and I believe that some hoes can be ordered as side-shifters - but for some reason they just did not catch on.

On our acreage for the past 40 years, we did most of our backhoe work - including putting in a pond, septic, and several foundations - with a 3pt tractor the size of that little Boomer and a 3pt hoe. Eventually we figured out that there were just too many advantages to dedicated backhoes. So after renting for awhile we bought real Tractor/Loader/Backhoes (TLBs) - a JD310 and a Kubota M59.

So.... 3pt hoes are useful, but are more or less defined by their limitations. They dig better than they lift - so are not real good for booming. Depending on the tractor they are mounted one, they can be dangerous And operators need to be conservative with them because a 3pt hitch not really designed for the forces that even a small 3pt hoe develops. Treated gently, a 3pt hoe they will save a lot of work. Treated roughly a 3pt hoe will destroy the 3pt connections to the tractor.

Still, it sounds like the OP is going to go that route, so my advice would be to get the side shifter and also look for a hoe that has a PTO powered hydraulic pump and reservoir of its own that is separate from the tractor's hydraulics. Both of those raise the cost, but are worth it in use and should be in resale too.

Good Luck,
rScotty

/ Looking to buy a tractor #29  
If you go outside typical tourist places you can do it on a budget, although 3 months around Europe will require a lot of money, especially in France, Germany and Italy. And as @ptsg said, you are very welcome here!! Especially in this little corner of Portugal

My dream is also to spend a month doing US coast to coast in a 60's convertible stoping along the way to know the places, people, culture... having just bought a house and now paying the mortgage (with a high interest rate these days), unfortunately it won't be that soon..

I will keep you guys posted on the tractor attachments!!
Thanks. We have a few options to stay with friends or family in Germany. Daughter in college plans to spend a semester in Spain in a year or two. (Spanish major) I also have a standing offer for a place in Norway, but I doubt I would do that. Ex-gf's husband offered (she passed a couple of years ago). Hopefully, that would reduce our cost a little. Definitely will take a financial plan to make it happen.

Looking at the operator no wander you fell in love... looks really tempting, go for it, forget the backhoe ;)
Yes, the operator definitely gives an extra motivation. I would ask if they can send also the operator to make an in-person demonstration 😆

Still, it sounds like the OP is going to go that route, so my advice would be to get the side shifter and also look for a hoe that has a PTO powered hydraulic pump and reservoir of its own that is separate from the tractor's hydraulics. Both of those raise the cost, but are worth it in use and should be in resale too.
Thank you for the advice!
The use that i intend for it is mostly for digging holes to plant trees, to place kerbs, to do some light construction work (walls and small foundations) and to do some light terrain levelling (the terrain is almost flat but there are some "bumps" around.

Thanks. We have a few options to stay with friends or family in Germany. Daughter in college plans to spend a semester in Spain in a year or two. (Spanish major) I also have a standing offer for a place in Norway, but I doubt I would do that. Ex-gf's husband offered (she passed a couple of years ago). Hopefully, that would reduce our cost a little. Definitely will take a financial plan to make it happen.
Good! Having family and good friends there surely reduces accomodation costs which can really make it easier from a budget perspective.