Loss of Civility on the Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Loss of Civility on the Forums #61  
<font color="blue"> But I admit to not knowing what happened to the thread because I was so offended by it that I stopped looking at it. </font>

I do the same. But, this one was easy -- the entire thread completely disappeared from the section a short time after I notified. I was impressed!

/ Loss of Civility on the Forums #62  
Responding on your name OkeeDon simply because you're the last post. I don't mind most of the brand loyal posts as I know it's because most people are proud to be the owner of XX brand, happy with it's performance. I think that's easy for all to see. The thing that has bothered me, and has caused me to rant at someone (getting deleted in the process) is when a dealer of X brand compares his/her tractor to another brand by blatantly misrepresenting the compared tractor. Stating specs that are absolutely not true in order to sway someone away from purchasing the competing tractor. I feel this is a calculated response which causes confusion to newbies and does nothing but upset the people who know the statements are false. Someone suggested simply posting the correct information and going on. In one case, that was done by another member, and then he got flamed by others who said he shouldn't be posting specs in that brand's forum. No, they would prefer that the misinformation stand so that someone may be dissuaded from purchasing a different brand. Often, it's a no-win situation and just typical of human nature. I don't bother to call out the lie anymore, as it will only lead to my being accused of not being a gentleman. When it comes to liars, I don't feel too gentlemanly, but I'll now bite my lip, or should I say, my fingers? John

/ Loss of Civility on the Forums #63  
Suggestion for a TBN general rule of etiquette: When posting on a brand specific page, try not to introduce suggestions of other brands unless the original poster has specifically brought it up first. I like my brand of tractor, but I like other ones too, although it seems that some simply cannot stand the thought of someone buying anything other than what they did. Perhaps if they can feel "safe" on their own pages, then there will be less tension.

I know I've mis-interpreted people from time to time, and been misinterpreted myself. But still, after a while I've learned to spot certain threads that are intended only to cause a fuss, and there a certain posters I try to ignore because I've lost all respect for their opinions. As TBN grows, it is inevitable that there will be more people who simply don't know how to behave - kinda just like everywhere else I'm afraid!

/ Loss of Civility on the Forums #64  
<font color="blue">after a while I've learned to spot certain threads that are intended only to cause a fuss, and there a certain posters I try to ignore because I've lost all respect for their opinions.</font>
We will go for a few months with out that type of member, then we get one and it starts all over. Sometimes it seems that even it unintentional, some are threads started almost as if intended as troll threads. What we all need to remember is to have respect for others. We can't cram out thoughts or ideas down an ones throat. We also need to watch and not propagate story's that are just to make use feel good about our own brand, that have no facts to back them up. These things can mislead a new member.

/ Loss of Civility on the Forums #65  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( suggestion for a TBN general rule of etiquette: When posting on a brand specific page, try not to introduce suggestions of other brands unless the oringinal poster has specifically brought it up first. I like my brand of tractor, but I like others too )</font> Why Not?? giving newbies like I am a source of new (unknown) information to explore and to confirm or dismiss is what this sight is about. I believe that this sight is a great source of imformation, and a greater source of entertainment. Truly do you beleive that any newbie, or member does not confirm to the best of his ability what they digest on this sight . the wealth of knowledge is great , but that wealth comes from difference of opinion. After confirming my plans, the knowledge gained here has allowed me to purchase implements and most importantly use them as intended. I treat you as I do my farmer neighbor across from me, he will come over and critisize what I do, complain about everything under the sun for 2 hours, we will have a few beers but always gives me 30 or 40 seconds of knowledge I need to complete my task properly. now that you have helped teach this urban raised child to find sucess in this rural lifestyle I have chosen. I come to this sight regularly for that 2 or 3 minutes of knowledge and two to three hours of entertainment,

You guys have a great tomorrow

/ Loss of Civility on the Forums
Thats a good suggestion... I think... again, my opinion only - but if a question is posted in the general forums then I think anyone should feel free to "respectfully" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif post their opinions on not only their own machine, but also brand suggestions for the person asking.

Wayyy back when I posted this I was getting overloaded on all the "buy mine, buy mine" type of posts, and the one that really got me was exactly what you had said - in a brand specific forum and specifically requesting info on two specific models... then there appeared the "buy mine buy mine" post.

Since I started this thread I've taken other's advice and begun to ignore, or at least not respond to the things we're talking about... and I'm at peace /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif with myself... just kidding! I have noticed my posts aren't as frequent as they used to be though.

Hey, have a great Day!

/ Loss of Civility on the Forums #67  
<font color="blue"> When posting on a brand specific page, try not to introduce suggestions of other brands unless the original poster has specifically brought it up first. </font>

Your right Chris. That's what the general forums are designed for...when more than one brand is to be discussed. When a poster asks a question about two different brands and then posts it in a brand specific forum I think the post/thread should be moved to the general forums. I have seen multiple brands tolerated in brand specific forums as long as the input stays factual.

<font color="blue"> What we all need to remember is to have respect for others. We can't cram out thoughts or ideas down an ones throat. We also need to watch and not propagate story's that are just to make use feel good about our own brand, that have no facts to back them up. </font>

Jerry, well said.

<font color="blue"> I come to this sight regularly for that 2 or 3 minutes of knowledge and two to three hours of entertainment, </font>

Hockeyhead, you might enjoy this website..... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

click here

How does that old saying go......I went to a hockey game and a wrestling match broke out.....or was it...I went to a wrestling match and a hockey game broke out..... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Don

/ Loss of Civility on the Forums #68  
I agree /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif hockey has alot of wrestling in it. In fact if you researched to confirm or dismiss that "long ago heard statement". You would find wrestling like moves are taught to youth and pro. players continuously in their development, as like in wrestling position is important. Now I mean wrestling not that scripted soap opera stuff your link shown. Now we are off subject. I did enjoy responding so thereby entertained, and you made me think about the relationship between wrestling and hockey, thank you.

/ Loss of Civility on the Forums #69  
I just wanted to make a comment about the way the Midwest Box Blade thread went.

It was not nomad's comment that soured that thread.

Nomad's comment was a response to exactly the type of non-stop America-is-the best chest-thumping that his comment was met with. This type of "patriotism" is completely negative. It does nothing but alienate people and make them feel like we are a big arrogant brat. The consequence of this is that when we merely hiccup those same people celebrate our misfortune. Nomad made his comment because it was fun for him to thumb his nose at the arrogant attitude he is so used to being confronted with.

Guess what, I hate to break it to you, but the United States is not perfect. Nor is its manufacturing prowess so incredible as to render it legitimately free from criticism. Get over it.

Whether you like it or not, this is an open (moderated, though it is) and international forum. As such, the current majority culture (patriotic, gun-toting, nativist, and conservative or libertarian) is going to be challenged as the membership increases. You are going to encounter "foreigners" who think differently than you do. And you are going to encounter Americans, like me, who think differently than you do. And as long as TBN has an open membership, then if you don't like it, you can go someplace else, regardless of how long you have been here or how many posts you have made.

Perhaps things would be more civil here if the majority culture did not hold onto itself so rigidly.

By the way, I have been curious about something for quite some time. I am curious to know how things would have gone for me--ie, how civil would it have been--if I had made an open call for information leading me to be able join an illegal militant left-wing organization as polecat did to find and join an illegal militant right-wing militia?

(I was reluctant to post this message, but not because I care what any of you think of me, but rather because I like being able to ask questions when I am in trouble or am curious about something. If I am marked an undesirable as a result of this post, then so be it, because frankly, I am sick of the uncivil way in which so many who post to this board talk about the rest of the world.)

/ Loss of Civility on the Forums #70  
Mundamanu,

That thread and comments were put to rest. It's okay to make a comment, but let's do ourselves all a favor and not reopen the issue...

Naming specific people in harsh comments only invites more conflict. That's not what this thread is about- it's not a free for all "let's bash somebody" location.

Your comments seem to indicate a desire to continue having TBN available, but don't like the attacks on personal beliefs.

I'd like to suggest that a little tolerance and patience with others will make that a reality. None of us like to have our mistakes or shortcomings thrown in our faces, so let's try to avoid it... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-JC

Status
Not open for further replies.