Lubricity of diesel

/ Lubricity of diesel
Can't believe how my original thread changed from blending up Stoddard solution to a thread on diesel lubricity.

An article in the recent Star magazine covered the use of biodiesel from an author who runs 4 vehicles with it exclusively and has done so for years. According to him, 5 to 20% biodiesel will considerably improve the lubricity of diesel, beyond what is needed by the ASTM spec. One thing that he's experienced though is that such a mixture will clean out the diesel system. He says to keep a couple fuel filters on hand when you first start using it because the crap will dissolve from the fuel system (mostly in your tank) and hit the fuel filter and foul it. After a change or 2, it's fine.

Minnesota is the first state to require that all diesel fuel be B5 (5% bio) blend. This makes it easier on suppliers. They won't need to install separate tanks. This was the problem at our local Southern States. They can't afford to install another tank system to provide us with biodiesel or mix. There's a biodiesel refinery making it from soy beans about 30 miles east of Richmond.

That business about needing sulfur for lubricity is a big ole wives' tale. Some of my lubie buddies in Exxon used to have this theory about sulfur in lube oil, as our research tended to show that a little bit of sulfur helped but that the worst (and easiest to get out) sulfur compounds were bad. However, the advent of hydrocracked and synthetic oils with NO sulfur blew this theory way out of the water. Suspect this is the very thing going on with "experts" claiming that the sulfur in diesel is needed for lubricity. BP has been supplying us with almost-no sulfur diesel fuel for quite a number of years. Bought some at a CitGo (that BP bought) station near New Orleans once. It was beautiful stuff, looked like water, no smell. Folks with vehicles in Europe operate with 40% of them diesel and have had this type fuel for quite a number of years.

Ralph

/ Lubricity of diesel #42  
That argument is a logical falacy.. way big difference in the following statements in that they are not reverse reciprical " adding sulfure to gain lubricity", and "removing sulfur , and therefore lowering lubricity in the process, as an unintended consequence". After all the discussions here.. it is clear to all those are the issues that we are talking about.

If this keeps up.. i think we should discuss adding tetra ethyl lead for some valve lubrication. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. ( and not octane boosting / sprak knock prevention. )..

Soundguy

/ Lubricity of diesel #43  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Minnesota is the first state to require that all diesel fuel be B5 (5% bio) blend. )</font>

I thought I saw a news article or press story on this this weekend about that 5% mandatory mix was being suspended temporarilly. Anyone else see/hear this?

Soundguy

/ Lubricity of diesel #44  
That is correct, the entire diesel refining for the State of Minn. had to be shut down due to poor quality biodiesel being delivered, so poor quality that the mandatory 2% biodiesel mix with regular diesel fuel had to be stopped.....

The law has been in effect for only a month and the disruption renewed old criticism of the biodiesel mandate. Minnesota is the only state with such a law.

Tests showed that a shipment of biodiesel failed to meet legal specifications for quality. The action affected not just the Flint Hills refinery, the state's largest, but pipeline and fuel blenders around the state. Magellan Midstream Partners halted the distribution of all biodiesel at its five Minnesota and two North Dakota terminals, after state officials alerted the company to a contaminated biodiesel problem.

"Knowing that there was a contamination issue with the biodiesel quality, we felt it best to go ahead and suspend the distribution," said spokesman Todd Frazee. "Biodiesel is much more prone to contamination, degradation, and other serious fuel quality problems than diesel fuel refined from petroleum."

Bad biodiesel is a major problem for refineries and diesel engines.

/ Lubricity of diesel #45  
BTW, Minnestoa requires 2%, not 5%.

Also, currently 50% of all biodiesel in North America is IMPORTED ......

(11-17-05 AP) - "The National Biodiesel Board (NBB), a trade group representing the burgeoning American biodiesel industry, reported last week that production and consumption of biodiesel is expected to jump threefold this year in the U.S. The industry expects to churn out 75 million gallons of the alternative fuel in 2006, as compared to the 25 million gallons produced in 2005."

"ASA's statement came after an announcement by EarthFirst Americas, Inc., that its shipment of imported palm oil-based biodiesel from Ecuador had arrived at the Port of Tampa, Fla., and that additional shipments of a 45 million gallons in 2006, and 100 million gallons in 2007 will follow. "

/ Lubricity of diesel #46  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Tests showed that a shipment of biodiesel failed to meet legal specifications for quality. . )</font>

Seems that would have a large tax implication..Wonder how that is going to be handled.

Anyone know what the extra 'contamination' worries of biodiesel are? Does it spawn bacterial growth 'worse' than petro based diesel? or is it a chemical impurity.. like fermentation / ethanol.. etc..?

Soundguy

/ Lubricity of diesel #47  
Primarily oxidative degradation is the most acute problem, also poor feedstocks contribute to a wide variation of batch to batch outputs as subpar feedstocks are utilized due to the high cost of raw materials. Contamination comes from a variety of routes too, bacterial and fungal contamination are usually a result of improper production and/or storage.

/ Lubricity of diesel #48  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( BTW, Minnestoa requires 2%, not 5%.
)</font>

That was just my quote of anothers post.. however I agree with you.... i do believe the news article mentioned 2%.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Lubricity of diesel #49  
Foreign farmers are razing and raping the Amazon River Basin to plant palm trees and soybeans to take advantage of US Taxpayers paying them to subsidize their biodiesel business. 50% of all biodiesel in the US is currently IMPORTED . /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Lubricity of diesel
I think Brazil also has a bio fuel think going, in addition to their ethanol push a few years back. That may be one of the reasons why they're razing the forests in Brazil. Think they're doing the same thing to Sumatra. When living this last time in Singapore (1990-1994), we had huge smoke problems one year from the forests being burned in Sumatra. Think they're doing palm oil or something else, but it could be acelerated with biodiesel demand/pricing.

Ralph