Luck now snowblower shoot cylinder question.

/ Luck now snowblower shoot cylinder question. #1  

rasorbackq

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 4720
Have a Lucknow 6ft snowblower . When I bought it used 7 years ago it without the shoot direction cylinder as I didn't have rear remotes . I welded up a manual hand crank to move shoot since then. Now a tractor later I have remotes and looking for a cylinder . . I need to cut off the hand crank I added but how do I figure out the proper length of the the new cylinder?

/ Luck now snowblower shoot cylinder question. #2  
Fabricate and mark the mounting points. Swing the shoot to both stops left and right. Measure the min and max cylinder length needed.

/ Luck now snowblower shoot cylinder question.
All the mounting points are there. Seems I need a 21.5" short and 28.5 long". 3x8 bore ( found some info online) . But the ones I see not the right distance for open and closed. Guessing short is better then too long as how its built will bent the ram on the cylinder.

/ Luck now snowblower shoot cylinder question. #4  
Does you Luck Now blower use the half moon shaped cable setup to rotate the chute?

/ Luck now snowblower shoot cylinder question. #5  
A few years back, I posted a thread on adding hydraulics to a Woods SS74 blower.

I cut off the chute deflector mounting ears by grinding off the welds. I then used the cylinder to locate the new mounting position:

PIC 7.jpg
PIC 8.jpg

You may be able to use the same idea with the rotator.

I used a hydraulic motor attached to the crank shaft to turn the chute. You can see the whole project here, which may also be of some help:

Last edited:
So the cylinder im looking at is 3" bore with 8" travel.

onnection Size 1/2 in.
Packaging (qty) 1
Retracted Length Pin to Pin (in.) 20-1/4 34-1/4 22-1/4 20-1/4 28-1/4 24-1/4 26-1/4 30-1/4
Stroke Length (in.) 8 24 12 10 18 14 16 20
Colour/Finish Black/painted Painted Black/painted
Pinhole Diameter (in.) 1

Have a choice of 2,2.5, and 3 " bore . all the rest is the same.
Thinking if a use the 20.25 pin to pin and rather then set shute up for the middle I attach the cylinder at shortest point and adjust the cylinder long to 28.25"and find a happy medium so the shute covers the area needed without extending too far and hitting the D shaped frame

/ Luck now snowblower shoot cylinder question. #10  
All the mounting points are there. Seems I need a 21.5" short and 28.5 long". 3x8 bore ( found some info online) . But the ones I see not the right distance for open and closed. Guessing short is better then too long as how its built will bent the ram on the cylinder.

My blower came with the manual crank only, and I welded on the attachment points for the hydraulic rotation from the manufacturer. I don't think my measurements would transfer to exactly how the OEM mounts the points.
I do know that the half moon pivot point is shear bolt protected, so you're not likely to break the cylinder or blower components.
The cylinders I have on mine also adjust in or out with a threaded yoke on one end for fine tuning.
It doesn't take much to rotate the chute, so other than the closed and open lengths the bore shouldn't make any real difference.