Lucky to be ALIVE!!!

/ Lucky to be ALIVE!!!
Really?! Sorry you were hurt, glad you're not dead. BUT, how does anyone end up working on a starter on a gear tractor, with the tractor in gear, without disconnecting the battery negative post's cable?
This kind of 'accident' is totally preventable with just the bare minimum of common sense, and safety precautions in place before doing any wrenching....
BTW, those who disconnect seat switches and similar safety devices should get what they deserve when/if things go wrong, and hopefully not end up hurting an innocent bystander in the process.

Well the directive is DONT DO IT!!
Yes it was a totally preventable accident. I guess that's why they're called accidents.
The tractor was in and out of neutral, I was tired and Thought it was still in neutral. Wrong. I THOUGHT I could carefully snug solenoid nut without any shorting. After all, I also thought it was still in neutral. The momentary short learched tractor forward on my foot & ankle as I sat on a 5 gal bucket. The wrench immediately fell clear, but solenoid stayed internally shorted somehow, learching forward again as my feet, legs , hips and metal gate it front tried to hold it back. It never started, but about every 5 secs it would take another bite till it eventually cleared me as I helplessly watched. I pulled myself up enough to knock out of gear only to hit reverse. Neutral was quickly found before round two.
Yes totally avoidable, careless, stupid accident which I hope everyone avoids.

/ Lucky to be ALIVE!!!
Really?! Sorry you were hurt, glad you're not dead. BUT, how does anyone end up working on a starter on a gear tractor, with the tractor in gear, without disconnecting the battery negative post's cable?
This kind of 'accident' is totally preventable with just the bare minimum of common sense, and safety precautions in place before doing any wrenching....
BTW, those who disconnect seat switches and similar safety devices should get what they deserve when/if things go wrong, and hopefully not end up hurting an innocent bystander in the process.

Well the directive is DONT DO IT!!
Yes it was a totally preventable accident. I guess that's why they're called accidents.
The tractor was in and out of neutral, I was tired and Thought it was still in neutral. Wrong. I THOUGHT I could carefully snug solenoid nut without any shorting. After all, I also thought it was still in neutral. The momentary short learched tractor forward on my foot & ankle as I sat on a 5 gal bucket. The wrench immediately fell clear, but solenoid stayed internally shorted somehow, learching forward again as my feet, legs , hips and metal gate it front tried to hold it back. It never started, but about every 5 secs it would take another bite till it eventually cleared me as I helplessly watched. I pulled myself up enough to knock out of gear only to hit reverse. Neutral was quickly found before round two.
Yes totally avoidable, careless, stupid accident which I hope everyone avoids.

/ Lucky to be ALIVE!!! #23  

I think any one of us who is honest has taken a shortcut or two, done something careless, etc. Its easy to second guess in hindsight, Gary gave us a little reality check on why we need to pay attention. Overlooking even the slightest detail can potentially cause loss of life or limb. I know Darwin has gotten over on me a time or two, but hey, who's counting. I know for certain I've had more than a fair share of "boy was I lucky" moments.

/ Lucky to be ALIVE!!! #24  

First off the wheels should be choked and the trans should be in neutral as well as the battery disconnected ( according to most repair manuals the battery should not just be disconnected but also removed)! So in simple terms he violated 3 safety steps while doing this and then you and others want to wish/or imply that those of us who use the common sense approach to safety that voids the need for the safety devices to stay hooked up could or should get what we deserve?
I simply don't get it and never will how we as a people came to the conclusion that others are responsible for our safety?
What happened here could not have been prevented by any of the factory safety devices anyway and should be used more as an opportunity to demonstrate safe maint and repair practices rather than safety devices such as neutral or seat safety switches.
For those of you DIY folks please remember that being a mechanic is a dangerous job and following the basic safety rules is of the most important to keeping yourself out of trouble!

/ Lucky to be ALIVE!!! #25  
I'm saddened to always hear of a tractor accident or death, but thank the good Lord the people that have passed or been hurt have always taught me a valuable lesson.
Prayers sent your way, and thank you for a valuable lesson. Frankly I would have done the same thing. Sure it makes sense AFTER you read about it, but chances are I would have done the same.

Disregard all teh Monday night quarter backs that scream " it was a preventable accident" WELL DUH, MOST accidebts are preventable by NOT DOING what you did to have the accident, so that advice is USELESS.

Here's more "preventable accidents" - don't go through a red light, don't stick a fork in a light socket, don't climb trees without a safety roap, don't go boating without a life preserver. Guess what, that's whty ther're called ACCIDENTS, because people, forget, disregard, ignore, don't know, take chances, etc.

/ Lucky to be ALIVE!!! #26  
Glad you survived Gary and aren't to proud to pass along the warning so others can learn (and live) from your mistake.
Best wishes on a complete recovery.

/ Lucky to be ALIVE!!! #27  
Accidents do and will continue to happen,
thanks for the valuable warning,, Gary,,
We always look back on our mistake'S,
hopefully, one day I'll become the perfect human being that the safety police expect of me.
A speedy recovery.

/ Lucky to be ALIVE!!! #28  
Thank you for sharing this with us. It is not easy stepping up and offering yourself as an example to help others. (Much harder than the "I told you so" responders).
My tractor that I have had for a few months has a starter button that someone added. It will start in gear without pushing in the clutch. My solution has been to always put it in neutral when I shut it off. One time while moving a shed I started it while standing beside it to raise the bucket just an inch or two. Well, it was in gear,luckily first, and it started crawling into the shed with me standing in front of the rear tire. Because it was in first gear I had time to reach across the steering wheel and put in neutral.
Now, thanks to your example, I am going to get it put back to the original configuration. Thank you and have a good recovery.

/ Lucky to be ALIVE!!!
You're welcome RoMad. I hope it will help a lot of people. This has been a life changing event for me physically, mentally & fianancialy.
I DO know all the safety precautions & procedures. That's why it's embarrassing. Kind of line the saying. " do as I say-not as I do"

/ Lucky to be ALIVE!!! #30  
It really makes me angry when people start spouting off about how stupid someone was and even a little common sense could have changed the outcome. If you can't think of a single example in your own life where you did something stupid and the results could have been a lot worse - then you are either a liar or have a very bad memory. If I'm honest - I would probably have trouble shortening my list down to my top 100 stupid decisions/actions.

Gary - I know you feel dumb about what happened - you've said as much. I commend you for coming on here and telling your story to remind the rest of us. I apologize that some of us feel compelled to judge and criticize. You would think we could offer advice and solutions without trying to stomp on someone.

Get well. I hope all of your injuries can be healed. Physically, mentally and financially. Thank you for the wake up call.

Sean.