Machu Picchu

/ Machu Picchu
Mark,

Thanks for the advise on the altitude sickness. I'm not sure if my friend can handle it or not. I've been to the top of Mt Whitney without any problems, so I think I should be fine. I've heard about using asprin, but had forgotten about it. I'll tell my friend and bring some along.

Travelor,

Did you carry cash? US money or Peru money? I'm trying to decide how much to bring. Everything is paid for except daily expenses like food and things we might do. She speaks Portugese and says she can get by in Spanish, but isn't fluet at all. I'm clueless on the language.

Another thought is what to put my things in. I have a suitcase with wheels that is fine for most trips, but with this trip, we will be changing hotels quite a bit and might be doing some walking. We will have some waiting around too since we will be early for checkins and have some time in airports. Does a frameless backpack make sense? What did you use?

Thanks,
Eddie

/ Machu Picchu #32  
yes, you need backpack...to put light jackets, various stuff, water bottles, etc into ...I always have one when I'm on a trip...not the HUGE kind, but more like what students use at college...good for carrying snacks, maps, all sorts of stuff. These supplement your rolling luggage...and I heartily recommend wheels on all luggage

Typically, I exchange US currency at the airport....usually there are fellows outside the airport that will change US dollars into foreign currency. there will be about 6 of them outside the airport where you catch a taxi...speak OK english. You can talk to several of them, they will be almost identical, but not exactly so, on the exchange rate that they will give you. My experience is that these folks have a better rate than what you find inside the airport. There is one or more stalls, as I recall, near the exterior of the airport in Lima which will exchange money. Often, too, you can exchange money at a hotel, but not every hotel. I usually get a wad of money exchanged at the airport. You can exchange it back to US if you don't use it all...but of course pay a price for this exchange as well...Agree, it is hard to figure out how much to get. Fundamentally, you are not the only one to face this problem....every tourist does...and each one finds a way to make it work for him.

They take the leaves of the coca plant and make a tea out of it...legal and available in all restaurants and for purchase in the markets and shops...start drinking this when you arrive...and all during your stay...neither I nor my son had altitude sickness, but I at age 55 at the time, ran out of air and tired more easily than usual during long treks...so I heartily commend you for taking the time for the trip that you have planned...if you are both feeling up to it, you can go from dawn to past sundown and never run out of things to do...or select those of most interest and rest in between points of interest....take it a little easy on the front end re physical exertion...more as you see how it goes.

Oh, yes, remember to take Kaopectate for drizzles...drink bottled drinks exclusively, avoid raw leafy vegetables, eat cooked stuff...you'll be better off but there is no guarantee to missing tummy problems...can happen to any trip but more frequently when south of the Rio Grande.

/ Machu Picchu #33  
I'm kinda laughing at timing. I'm on facebook for the first time in weeks and another friend of mine is posting up photos from M.P. on facebook right now. One of the photos shows the complementary bowl of coca leaves in the hotel they are staying at and stated they were serving it on the plane to there in tea form. Seems this is a very special place to vacation and well regarded by those who have been there.

/ Machu Picchu
Thank you very much for all the help, suggestions and advice. I leave in the morning and will be doing some last minute shopping today. Funny how the closer I get to a trip, the more phone calls I get from clients!!!! At least I'll have plenty of work lined up when I get back.

One good bit of timing is that my parents finally sold their house in CA and are now living here with me, so I don't have to worry about who is going to feed Oscar or get the mail. Sure will be nice to have them here full time!!!

Eddie

/ Machu Picchu #38  
We want photos
I hope that request was bad timing after the toilet paper line:D
will not do any good, better a cork of appropriate size
:thumbsup:
Lomotil -- I swear those little pills are dehydated balls of cotton that go down and expand where necessary. I think South American customs expects you to have them! -- Hope you have a great trip