Mahidra 2555 HST power steering control valve leak.

/ Mahidra 2555 HST power steering control valve leak. #1  

RAHarden

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2555 HST, John Deere 534, Minneapolis Moline UB, M5, Jet Star
My 2016, Mahindra 2555 HST, with 236 hours, started dripping oil from the steering column cover area to the floor. The leak is coming from the upper seal on the control valve. It's a drip type leak that get worse as the tractor heats up. The part number for the control valve is 14524054002 and it's not under warranty. This is the new replacement number for the old one, 001. The local Mahindra dealer told me the control can't be rebuilt and a new valve cost around $1000. Not cheap! Has anyone had the same problem with this valve? If so, did you try to repair the control valve or just replace it. I am sure this part was made for Mahindra, but by who. I'll remove it and disassemble it. I would like to see if anything in the valve can be replaced. I figure, nothing to loose. At the least, I'll just have to buy a new valve. Thanks.

/ Mahidra 2555 HST power steering control valve leak. #2  
My 2016, Mahindra 2555 HST, with 236 hours, started dripping oil from the steering column cover area to the floor. The leak is coming from the upper seal on the control valve. It's a drip type leak that get worse as the tractor heats up. The part number for the control valve is 14524054002 and it's not under warranty. This is the new replacement number for the old one, 001. The local Mahindra dealer told me the control can't be rebuilt and a new valve cost around $1000. Not cheap! Has anyone had the same problem with this valve? If so, did you try to repair the control valve or just replace it. I am sure this part was made for Mahindra, but by who. I'll remove it and disassemble it. I would like to see if anything in the valve can be replaced. I figure, nothing to loose. At the least, I'll just have to buy a new valve. Thanks.
This is a common re-occurring problem with this steering valve. I've had to replace mine a few times. First time.....under warranty; Second time.....out of pocket; Third time......out of pocket. They use this "valve" on several of their tractors. The problem is with the two shaft seals in the upper housing, which can be replaced but you have to remove the steering valve (HSU) from the tractor (make sure you mark the hoses as to where they connect to the HSU). Mark the upper & lower covers for assembly alignment to the body. Remove upper shaft cover. Remove "inner" oil seal and "upper" dust seal. Take these two seals and go to a "good" bearing/hydraulic shop and match 'em up. They may or may not have the inner seal on hand as this is a "soft" seal (don't remember the technical name) but it can be gotten. Buy a few as you'll be doing this repair probably every 300 - 500 hrs. or plan on replacement of the HSU on roughly the same time frame!
Now Mahindra's train of thought..........why sell a seal kit for, let's say, $20 - $30 when we can sell a new replacement HSU for 1k, which probably only costs them maybe $25 per unit, that is ONLY WARRENTEED FOR 90 DAYS FROM DATE OF PURCHASE and when it fails again, we'll gladly sell you another!
Now if you look on ebay, you'll find all kinds of seal kits for Mahindra HSUs, but I haven't seen one for this particular unit yet. TYM used to sell a seal kit but since Mahindra bought them, there's a lot of parts that are no longer available from TYM. So, good luck and have fun!

/ Mahidra 2555 HST power steering control valve leak.
Thanks DirtHauler. I appreciate the good info. I planned on removing the control valve and disassemble it. Everything on this tractor was made by someone and there are usually seals or parts out there. I did see Mahindra changed the part number, from 001 to 002, on the end. I don't know if that means there is a difference or design change. Probably just a price hike. I'll take your advise and attempt the repair. I'm a big guy, so when I enter or leave the cab, I tend to grab the steering wheel as a grab bar. I probably shouldn't do that and I have stopped. That could cause excess movement at the steering shaft seals. I wish there was a convenient grab bar in this area. My steering must have been leaking from day one. I bought the tractor used, with under 200 hours on it, from a dealer in Iowa, 250 miles away from my home. I noticed oil at the floor mat and quite a bit under the mat. The valve leaked the first time I drove it. The dealer told me it was under warrantee. Not so, according to Mahindra. Learn the hard way. You didn't notice who built the control valve? I looked at Eaton control valve, but nothing close like the Mahindra has. I know a few specialty bearing and seal warehouses in Rockford, Illinois. They have everything, most of the time. If I find good replacements, I'll post the manufactures and part numbers.

/ Mahidra 2555 HST power steering control valve leak. #4  
HSU (2).JPGHSU (1).JPG Here's a couple of photos of the "valve", hope this helps.

Hi DirtHauler. I found the SINJIN website, www.sjpsu.com/ and sent off a letter, asking for a repair kit or the if I could buy a new valve. SINJIN calls these a Rear Port Power Steering Unit. They show one, similar to the pictures you sent, but not much info. No rebuild parts were listed. I ran these numbers on Google, but nothing shows up, other than what I already found on the SINJIN website. I will keep looking on the web. If I receive an email from SINJIN, I'll post it. Thanks for helping.

/ Mahidra 2555 HST power steering control valve leak. #6  
TYM used to sell a seal kit but since Mahindra bought them, there's a lot of parts that are no longer available from TYM. So, good luck and have fun!

Mahindra doesn't own TYM, Mahindra contracts with TYM to build many of their popular tractors. In fact TYM recently bought Branson and across all brands TYM sells under they are the number 2 supplier of utility tractors under 60HP in the USA.

/ Mahidra 2555 HST power steering control valve leak. #7  
My 2011 5035 has the same leak. It is mainly from yanking the steering wheel when I get on and off the tractor. It puts a lot side pressure on the shaft seals. Mine still leaks a little, but if I remind the idiot operator to not use the steering wheel as something to use getting on and off, it sometimes does not leak. The wheel is real handy for the getting on/off thing, but not good on the seal.... I bet some days I am doing the on/off thing north of 50 times.... I pondered buying a different pump and fixing mine for a spare, but it does not leak that much where you have to add fluid to the 10 gallon reservoir ....

Mahindra doesn't own TYM, Mahindra contracts with TYM to build many of their popular tractors. In fact TYM recently bought Branson and across all brands TYM sells under they are the number 2 supplier of utility tractors under 60HP in the USA.

I saw on the SINJIN website (power steering products), TYM was one of their customers, not Mahindra. Also Kubota, Millat Tractors Limited (they make Massey Ferguson smaller tractors) and others I have never heard of. Mahindra wasn't listed as a customer, which would be correct, if TYM builds the Mahindra 2555 and other models. I found a TYM dealer that is close to where I live. I just called the TYM dealer and they use the same part number as Mahindra (14524054002), which is the newer part number for the Rear Port Power Steering Unit. She told me she would call TYM and see if there is a seal kit for these. I'll post new info when I get it.

My 2011 5035 has the same leak. It is mainly from yanking the steering wheel when I get on and off the tractor. It puts a lot side pressure on the shaft seals. Mine still leaks a little, but if I remind the idiot operator to not use the steering wheel as something to use getting on and off, it sometimes does not leak. The wheel is real handy for the getting on/off thing, but not good on the seal.... I bet some days I am doing the on/off thing north of 50 times.... I pondered buying a different pump and fixing mine for a spare, but it does not leak that much where you have to add fluid to the 10 gallon reservoir ....
Thanks JerryK. I thought grabbing the steering wheel could be a problem, causing the leak. It's easy to do. I have a cab on my 2555 and there is no good place to grab as I get in and out, except for the steering wheel. I bought my tractor used and it was leaking when I purchased it. Apparently, the original owner must have grabbed the steering wheel quite often. Mahindra should design a grab bar so it could be installed by the owner, or at the factory. This would prevent people from grabbing the steering wheel. My leak gets worse the longer I drive the tractor. The oil warms up. I need to repair the unit or replace it. The TYM unit is the same as on my Mahindra 2555. The price the lady gave me was $840.00, a good $100.00 cheaper than the Mahindra dealer. The TYM dealer is checking with their TYM techs to see if there is a repair kit for the unit. I'm sure if I removed the unit, and disassembled it, I could locate seals.

/ Mahidra 2555 HST power steering control valve leak. #10  
Thanks JerryK. I thought grabbing the steering wheel could be a problem, causing the leak. It's easy to do. I have a cab on my 2555 and there is no good place to grab as I get in and out, except for the steering wheel. I bought my tractor used and it was leaking when I purchased it. Apparently, the original owner must have grabbed the steering wheel quite often. Mahindra should design a grab bar so it could be installed by the owner, or at the factory. This would prevent people from grabbing the steering wheel. My leak gets worse the longer I drive the tractor. The oil warms up. I need to repair the unit or replace it. The TYM unit is the same as on my Mahindra 2555. The price the lady gave me was $840.00, a good $100.00 cheaper than the Mahindra dealer. The TYM dealer is checking with their TYM techs to see if there is a repair kit for the unit. I'm sure if I removed the unit, and disassembled it, I could locate seals.

When I looked into the repair kit for the Mahindra, it was just the two top seals for the shaft the steering wheel it attached to. [ this is a 71 year old mind remembering, so do not take it as gospel ] Looked like you just about had to take the pump out to do it right, so I was going to buy a new pump to have a spare... But I am just living with the small leak. Not much more than an annoyance. And after living with a Dodge Cummins for 16 years, and a JD 2240 with the bottom 3pt position control shaft going thru the oil sump, I am used to spots on the floor. You have to keep things in perspective and fight battles you can win...