Major structural failure on L4610 - ouch !!

/ Major structural failure on L4610 - ouch !! #41  
Kubmech- I remember that post, could'nt find it or the one with the pictures and part #s, have a copy of it scaned it and converted to jpeg but to big to attach- file was /forumfiles/2-107936-toplinkcomposite-2.gif

Anyways nice to see you're still out there, I learned alot from you're imformateve posts /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Major structural failure on L4610 - ouch !! #42  
Yup, still kickin' around.. Too bad that picture from JM is missing, worth a thousand words.

/ Major structural failure on L4610 - ouch !! #43  
WOW!!!! WAS HE PULLING WITH HOE UP IN THE AIR ???MAYBE I MISREAD SOMETHING...WILL HAVE TO B CAREFUL WITH MY ISEKI...!!!! and always try to pull low too!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Major structural failure on L4610 - ouch !!
Kubmech - I've been talking to the owner - he is wondering about temporarily epoxying the broken section back in place - it would not be a structural repair but would keep the oil in and the dirt out. He'd leave the rockshaft out and plug the holes. The question is if the rockshaft ram is now extended (out of it's bore) will the tractor function provided the touch lever is in the down position? He understands there will be no 3-ph function at all - but is hoping to have the use of his FEL until he can arrange for the repairs. BTW the trans is HST.

/ Major structural failure on L4610 - ouch !! #45  
As long as the lever stays in the down position and he's sure there is no pieces parts floating around in the bottom of the housing waiting to be picked up and chewed up by the ring gear he should be o.k. Remove the piston because that will most likely work its way out as well. With the piston removed, even if the lever is moved it would just dump fluid back in to the trans and not cause a problem. The rops and the backhoe subframe will be degraded some due to the stiffener missing.

Thanks for responding - if the oil is drained it should be possible to see whether any chunks are in the bottom of the rear case. It's pretty open in there because the differential is up high.

/ Major structural failure on L4610 - ouch !! #47  
Judging from the pictures there shouldn't be much floating around in there, but you can't be too careful................

The owner trailered the machine to my place - I'll help him close up the wound temporarily. Thanks for your comments - I'll post here with what we find after draining the oil. I don't have a L4610 manual - how much fluid do these have? I took out the ram - it was jammed a bit but using a wooden block and a hammer I freed it.

/ Major structural failure on L4610 - ouch !! #49  
Something like 12 gallons, you might try one of those flexable magnets to check for any lost metal below the ring gear. Also JB weld should hold, or even better silver solder.

The position control lever should be disabled to.

Thanks for the magnet idea and oil capacity. I hope the HST has a fine mesh pickup screen. Are there magnetic drain plugs on this model? Silicone adhesive sealant should keep the oil in and the dirt out, and be readily removable in case someone needs to look at the break.

Silver solder, nickel welding, brazing etc. are all being suggested as possible repairs. After the hole is covered up, I don't know what the owner will decide to do next. Personally I don't believe broken grey iron castings can ever be made strong again. Maybe 25% - 50% strength can be restored, but in this case that's not useful. The first good tug on the top link would pull it apart again.