Major structural failure on L4610 - ouch !!

/ Major structural failure on L4610 - ouch !! #51  
Not sure if drain plugs are magnetic- there is a large magnet in the hydraulic oil filter

Also you can save $8 by ordering the filter without the magnet, and remove and reuse the magnet off the old one, It's a round piece right on the end of the filter. Hey thats $8 towards the real big parts he needs /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you need the part# for that filter let me know

/ Major structural failure on L4610 - ouch !! #52  
Tranny capacity is the same as for the other L10 series... 41.2 quarts, or 10.2 gal. Also, there is a fine mesh filter on the end of a suction line going into the right side of the transmission that's a bear to locate and remove on the 4610. On mine, you can get it out just far enough to flush it with some spray solvent, but it won't come completely out.

If you have a shop manual for the other L10's, the one for the 4610 is the same, with some added pages covering the different front axle and hydraulic pump. The HST, 3pt, etc. is the same as in the other models. I have a copy and will be glad to look up anything I can for you.

Have been out of touch for a few days due to a death in the family... the old computer (vintage 1998) gave it up and had to be replaced.

/ Major structural failure on L4610 - ouch !!
Thanks to you and Grandad for the tips. The tractor is still here in my yard - I haven't heard from the owner but I have some time today so I'll drain the oil at least and have a look see. More later.

Did you have to shoot the computer? Hope you had a proper ceremony.

I drained the oil and ran a magnet around in the gearcase - got a few small iron chips out. With the parts all cleaned, I tried to fit them back into the hole - but there is a little ductility in the iron so the surfaces of the break are a little distorted. Here's a closeup of the drained case with the area cleaned up.

452006-P1010016.jpg

/ Major structural failure on L4610 - ouch !! #55  
Just curious if you have priced a new rearend case from Kubota yet?

With the parts stuck back in the hole with black silicone and a formed steel strap retaining them, the tractror is useable but without 3 point hitch. I left the rockshaft & ram out completely, with the touch lever locked down. The owner is negotiating with the dealer - may be some time before a proper fix is done.

452008-P1010021.jpg

/ Major structural failure on L4610 - ouch !! #57  
Actually, the durn thing is dying a slow death, and I don't dare turn it off. The only external media it still recognizes is diskettes, so it has been real fun moving essential files from this dying swan to the new one.

Nice patch up and strap on that gearcase.

/ Major structural failure on L4610 - ouch !! #58  
Looks good Doctor, and he gets to uses his tractor /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

On part prices I looked them up and wrote them down on I guess somebody elses paper-can't find it now, as I remember it was apx. $400 for the hydraulic cylinder assembly-case not sold seperately, and apx. $750 for transmission case, labor one could only wonder how much, looks like a BIG job to get at + setting up the ring and pinion etc. etc. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif gota feel sorry for this guy. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Major structural failure on L4610 - ouch !! #59  
That's not a strap! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That my friend is a steel cross arm brace! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thought u were gonna slide that one by me eehHHH!
Not today! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
They work great 4 other stuff 2 don't they! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Great lookin bandaid!

Yup, after some utility guys swept thru my old neighborhood I went out and cleaned up the stuff they had tossed, and I've been using it ever since. Nice stuff, soft, ductile, galvanized, and lotsa big carriage bolts, square nuts and long lags. In 25 years I'm only halfway thru the pile! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif BTW, I did scrounge up some metric bolts for this job. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif