Massey Ferguson 1835M Hydrostat is a fuel hog

/ Massey Ferguson 1835M Hydrostat is a fuel hog #11  
My 48Hp hydro uses 1.5 gallons per hour at PTO speed, working hard ground with a 6’ tiller. About the same as my ZTR per hour

/ Massey Ferguson 1835M Hydrostat is a fuel hog
Regen...oh my lord. Sometimes it's every 8 hours, 12 hours, 20, 25, etc. Auto regenerate doesn't see to do crap. Parked regenerate takes about 12 mins on average. So I'm going to baby thus thing into next year and trade it off. Whatever I choose to buy, will have a cab and shuttle shift.

/ Massey Ferguson 1835M Hydrostat is a fuel hog #13  
New Tractor?
Maybe the engine isn’t broken in yet? They use considerably more fuel when new.

I can run a rake or tedder off the back of my Challenger 130HP with a CVT and burn 5G/hr

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson 1835M Hydrostat is a fuel hog #14  
That’s a lot of regen… the Kukje diesels are going hundreds of hours between regens in many cases 😳

/ Massey Ferguson 1835M Hydrostat is a fuel hog #15  
That’s a lot of regen… the Kukje diesels are going hundreds of hours between regens in many cases 😳
If there is enough engine load, it may never actually ask for one.

/ Massey Ferguson 1835M Hydrostat is a fuel hog #16  
Interesting thread. I've never watched fuel consumption on either of my M9's. I just fill them from the bulk tank when required. They both seem to be miserly on fuel however. Both of them have had the pumps shimmed so they aren't stock either. All I know is I can run for days on 30 gallons of ORD and for me, fuel is an operating expense and a tax offset like everything else farm related.

I also would presume that a hydrostat would be less efficient than a gear drive because it's a fluid coupling and of course a power eater.

I also believe that post 4 engines consume more fuel per working time than a pre 4 with no emissions junk.

Only hydro I own is my zero turn lawnmower and it will remain that way.

/ Massey Ferguson 1835M Hydrostat is a fuel hog #17  
Regen...oh my lord. Sometimes it's every 8 hours, 12 hours, 20, 25, etc. Auto regenerate doesn't see to do crap. Parked regenerate takes about 12 mins on average. So I'm going to baby thus thing into next year and trade it off. Whatever I choose to buy, will have a cab and shuttle shift.
It sounds to me like your current tractor has a serious fuel tuning issue.

What. Is. Your. Elevation? Elevation can be a big factor in fuel tuning.

You've got yourself convinced that the transmission is the source of your troubles...

Ok, fine, you're going to change tractors. Got it. If your next tractor comes from the same dealer that sold you this one, you are very likely to have the exact same issues again, if the tuning problems you have now are indeed elevation related (and not from some other "setup" issue). The engines of really *any* brand tractor are preset when assembled. If you're at "high" elevation (not really that high, either), you're going to have issues. The filter on your exhaust is currently trapping all of the black smoke that you would be able to see pouring out on a straight pipe and muffler. So it may seem to be running "clean", but it most certainly is not.

You have WAY too many regens. That has NOTHING to do with your transmission type.

Since you're trading anyway, consider something with a turbo also, will help with "higher" elevation.

/ Massey Ferguson 1835M Hydrostat is a fuel hog #18  
Turbochargers compensate for elevation changes because they pressurize the intake air so the engine isn't dependent on the outside air pressure to charge the intake air at all.

Both mine are turbocharged and charge air cooled as well. The cooler the incoming air is, the more efficient the engine runs.

Said many times and will say it again, sure glad both my tractors are pre 4 units. I maintain them well and never plan on getting a new one.

Elevation, this part of idaho is just over 700 feet. Farthest inland sea port...a sea port in idaho. I will be getting rid of it in the spring. No manuals in cabbed kubotas. Case IH/New Holland will not do a trade, kioti doesn't have a home here. Leaves me with green. Funny part is, the price tag associated with Deere compacts equals the price of Massey utility tractors with greater hp. Example. JD 3039R with cab, $54k, Massey 2604 $39k. 2604 is rops which sucks.

By the way, with these compact tractors, what would you guys charge for snow removal for the average driveway? I'm stuck in the 1990s when the average here in idaho was $40 per pop. Would asking $50 be too much? Keep in mind, no snow blade, just the bucket and rear blade.