Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :(

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #31  
I have a question, when adjusting the steering lock bolts do you have to take into account for when the front axle pivits to max angle ( tire rubbing against frame). Seem I’ve read this somewhere.
they touch at same point no matter the tilt,

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #32  
Having never been, AFAIK, "played with," here's what the steering stops look like on my 2007 GC2310 (990 hrs), after turning to the point of "complaining" and then releasing the steering wheel and setting the brake.

I do see where one stop bolt has more threads exposed that the other, which would probably explain the difference in the gap -- 3/16" on the left vs. none on the right.... Looks a lot like DMW's above, except reversed. (Perhaps I need to make a small adjustment there!)

It sure sounds like you'll have a new tractor (000 hrs.) in ten more hours of use...

KC

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :(
I have a question, when adjusting the steering lock bolts do you have to take into account for when the front axle pivits to max angle ( tire rubbing against frame). Seem I’ve read this somewhere.

Yes i did check when adjusting that it would not rub the frame but i dont think the ram on the GC will push the pivot far enough for the tyres to touch anyway.

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #34  
Yep, KC, guess you're right! It does have only three digits + tenths....

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #35  
I had the same issue awhile back on my 2011 2410. I remo the brackets and pounded them straight and replaced. I'm not sure how mine got that way but it seems like a poor design.

550563E9-46DB-4C1E-82D0-9A43DC9D6A22.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #36  
It seems like there are really only a couple of things that can cause this.

One is the stops bolts that have been discussed not being adjusted to prevent the wheel from turning further than the steering cylinder is designed to go. And this could really only happen if you had the wheel turned to full lock in one direction or the other and then hit a significant bump or rock or something the put inward pressure on the side you are turning from.

The other is too much lateral pressure on the leading edge of the wheel. This could be caused by an alignment issue, incorrect toe in adjustment. Other things that could cause this might be turning too tightly with a loaded bucket, or even just having the bucket on and making fast tight turns, or for that matter turning sharply while going to fast might even create to much pressure on the outside wheel. Even mowing on an incline as I do all of the time, could in theory be placing extra pressure on those stays.

At any rate, it is something that I'll be watching and checking on a regular basis while I'm greasing.

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #37  
im dealing with this same problem now. it is obviously a design flaw or maybe AGCO didnt expect us to actually use the tractor to its full potential. I have to give credit where credit is due though bc i have moved some heavy pieces of fallen oak trees with this little beast. i believe i bent my steering flanges while trying to dig out some clay. and maneuvering while in 4wd. whats really an issue is if it gets loose enough it starts to jump around and will mar your rams. but has anyone had it apart and saw the seals? are they just orings? square seals? and why are agco parts so damn expensive. im used to overpriced parts as a bmw master tech but these parts listings are crazy!!! also at least bmw kives a spec of every nut bolt and oring that a repair requires. so you could use a generic oring if you needed. agco parts are shrouded in secrecy

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #38  
Adjust your stops if it has any also check toe in
If you are turning hard and hit something and stops are not adjusted right it
Would push cylinder

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #39  
I don't remember what I did to fix mine and am about to leave for a few days. When I return home I will try to determine what that was and get back here. I agree with whoever previously said it was a very poor design. All I remember is that I didn't buy any parts and it happened several years ago. I don't know if it is still a problem or not but it hasn't stopped me from working it. Mine is a 2010 GC2610 with over 1000 hrs.

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #40  
One thought... On my Ford, when I have a very heavy bucket, the front steering gets mighty hard to turn. I'll have to look at how it does wheel steering force vs hydraulic steering force.

Nonetheless, it is pretty obvious that the force to steer changes dramatically with the front end weight.

Perhaps the manufacturer didn't fully take into account different loading on the front end. There are reports that some of the compact tractors can get the front axle very much overloaded with the loader.