Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :(

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #41  
Sorry guys, I know some of you don't like hearing this, but these are NOT heavy duty tractors.

Don't get mad at me. I'm just the messenger.

These were built well, for the price point they were intended originally. Yes, the price has gotten stupid since then, so has the cost of everything else.

No matter how well you build something, there is still a weakest point on it. And, someone is going to find it.

You can in fact, buy heavy duty sub compact tractors. The Bobcat is a nice one. Pretty bullet proof. They do cost roughly twice as much as these. So, no one buys them.

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #42  
My 2 cents...this is OE. Look at the front tires and if you see scuff marks inside or outside it could mean the wheel got cought on a stump or rock bending the brackets. The stop bolts wont help much as the bracket is the weak point...as it may be engineered to be.

Stop bolts only stop the ram being pulled out or pushed out.

There was a recall on the GC2400 series because the brackets were installed backwords at the factory....not the GC2300s though. Mine was fixed under the recall but no brackets were bent.

You hit a rock or stump hard enough on any machine and somethings gonna bend or break. If you have a heavy bucket load on top of that..oh yeah.

Not a poor design because you want the cheapest part to be the weekest link. You reinforce these brackets and do nothing to adjust how you operate the machine..your next repair will be $$$$$.

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #43  
You hit a rock or stump hard enough on any machine and somethings gonna bend or break. If you have a heavy bucket load on top of that..oh yeah.

Not a poor design because you want the cheapest part to be the weekest link. You reinforce these brackets and do nothing to adjust how you operate the machine..your next repair will be $$$$$.

Very good point.

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #44  
Ever since I first saw this topic those brackets are one of my inspection points when I grease. I have looked at them many times. The only way I can see that they can get bent is by hitting something or something that puts extreme inward pressure on the wheels. Quite possible turning sharply with an overloaded bucket could cause it.

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #45  
Ever since I first saw this topic those brackets are one of my inspection points when I grease. I have looked at them many times. The only way I can see that they can get bent is by hitting something or something that puts extreme inward pressure on the wheels. Quite possible turning sharply with an overloaded bucket could cause it.

I haven't looked at it hard. But, I can speculate that the wheel being turned hard over, and bumping, or side swiping a log, a rock, or a tree stump could be putting heavy forces on those brackets.

Especially, when you consider what a full loader bucket, and whatever other weight is involved from the tractor, and operator add to the equation.

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #46  
In case anyone is interested-

Update campaign FC6192 Steering cylinder mount​

Ok, just went to dealership to get my "update". All it is, is a brochure that tells the tech that the right side bracket that holds the steering cylinder on serial #'s
MFGC2600 from first to JVC93222
MFGC2610 " " " JVC93224
MFGC2400 " " " JVC03213
MFGC2410 " " " JVC03221
"may" be installed backwards

Update campaign FC6192 Steering cylinder mount

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #47  
In case anyone is interested-

Update campaign FC6192 Steering cylinder mount​

Ok, just went to dealership to get my "update". All it is, is a brochure that tells the tech that the right side bracket that holds the steering cylinder on serial #'s
MFGC2600 from first to JVC93222
MFGC2610 " " " JVC93224
MFGC2400 " " " JVC03213
MFGC2410 " " " JVC03221
"may" be installed backwards

Update campaign FC6192 Steering cylinder mount
The link is an old "Wacky" thread.

It's been a real long time since we have heard from him.

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #48  
it may be old, but I just got done tackling it. I’m not the original poster by the way.

I’m working a lot of sand, so I’m not only bent my brackets out, I’ve ruined the seals in my ram. but after sourcing several parts, doing some research, I’ve repaired it and also upgrade it. I ordered bigger boots to cover the entire ram and new inner and outer tie rod ends. Turns out Yamaha tie rods are the same but they’re longer so they require modification are used to cut off wheel and cut them down to size to get my alignment. I sandwich the boots into the flange is to work as kind of a bushing for the steering rack as well and they’ll ensure that no dirt gets in pretty happy with it so far took it for a ride around the yard, and the steering feels tighter than I’ve ever felt it . I’m gonna this is gonna solve my problems also on the backside of the steering cylinder, there’s a little flange that is perfect to accept a longer bolt with a nut on the backside to hold it in place.

Attachments

• IMG_2349.jpeg
    IMG_2349.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2347.jpeg
    IMG_2347.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 41
   / Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #49  
Nice fix. Tie rod ends from a Yamaha ATV? Can you post the years and model? Thanks

/ Massey Ferguson GC 2300 bent steering box brackets :( #50  
it may be old, but I just got done tackling it. I’m not the original poster by the way.

I’m working a lot of sand, so I’m not only bent my brackets out, I’ve ruined the seals in my ram. but after sourcing several parts, doing some research, I’ve repaired it and also upgrade it. I ordered bigger boots to cover the entire ram and new inner and outer tie rod ends. Turns out Yamaha tie rods are the same but they’re longer so they require modification are used to cut off wheel and cut them down to size to get my alignment. I sandwich the boots into the flange is to work as kind of a bushing for the steering rack as well and they’ll ensure that no dirt gets in pretty happy with it so far took it for a ride around the yard, and the steering feels tighter than I’ve ever felt it . I’m gonna this is gonna solve my problems also on the backside of the steering cylinder, there’s a little flange that is perfect to accept a longer bolt with a nut on the backside to hold it in place.
Please give the info, for the parts you used.

I'm sure it will be helpful to many.

Hope your redesign works out.