Massive storm clean up

/ Massive storm clean up
No I'm not. Do you care to elaborate?
They‘re all gone now because they closed in the early 80’s.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

/ Massive storm clean up
A view from up top. Up on a pile of logs in the dump truck.

1707963693553.jpeg

Using the 500i is a joy.

1707963728999.jpeg

/ Massive storm clean up
The muddy trail going into the farm. Might not look slippery for a Jeep, but it takes 4WD and skilled driving to get back there in the IH-7500. Frozen ground with 2” of mud on top is slicker than owl ****.

1707996885892.jpeg

/ Massive storm clean up #214  
I did some mudding in mine a couple weeks ago also. As heavy as they are, they sure feel light when on the snot.

/ Massive storm clean up
Hauled 11 more loads of logs this week. Repetition is getting tiresome, but the pay is legit. I still have 3 substantial piles of logs left. Some of the piles have 10 truck loads of logs in them!
1708134558603.jpeg

The dump truck has been holding up surprisingly well. I have put about 1200 miles on it hauling logs since January 2nd.
I really thought something would have broken by now, but other than the odd “Check AC” or “Check Fuel Filter” light that would stay on for an hour, then go off, I feel VERY fortunate. The 4WD and locking differential have been nothing short of priceless in trucking the material out.

1708134609742.jpeg

The 261C has been doing most of the cutting, but the 500i has exceeded my expectations. It blows through 30” stuff like a laser. Really happy I spent the extra $ on the lightweight bar. Might do same on 261C.

1708135130840.jpeg

I got the green light for the next phase, which is dealing with the 6 or 8 giant brush piles. We have discussed a plan. No burning-Customer’s orders. No chipping- Customer has hundreds of tons of chips already from other trees that have fallen.

There are 2 parallel roads running through the property. The “old road” no longer used and the “new road” currently used as a tractor path, a maintenance vehicle trail, and as an emergency exit from the property should the primary driveway become impassible.

The “old road” is built through what could be roughly described as a gorge, like a long & shallow valley.
I have been instructed to push as much of the brush piles into the old road gorge, effectively filling it and sealing its’ fate as a road forever.
I don’t like the idea, but it ain’t my property and I’m not cuttin/signing the checks.

Couple views. You cant really see it because there’s a line of fallen trees on the near & far sides of it

1708134306567.jpeg

I know it doesn’t look it from the picture, but the sunken section is about 30-40 feet wide, about 6 feet deep and about 1,000’ long. First I will push the brush in the foreground into it.

1708134509663.jpeg

Problem is, I have 10 huge piles of brush that have to be moved 1000+ feet to the “old road”. Could push them with dozer, but I think it will do extensive damage to the hay fields and the ground cover we planted last October. Of course, we can reseed it.

Last edited:
   / Massive storm clean up #216  
A bit much after the January '24 Ice Storm in our area... Willamette Valley Oregon. It's gonna take all year to clean this up. I can't even figure out enough areas for burn piles. :( Think I'll just make three huge piles: Sticks, branches and logs. I don't normally hire help, but this time, that may be needed. Its just too much.
roadice.jpg

/ Massive storm clean up
I’m starting to see the end of this clean-up. Some large piles are gone.
More open space beginning to reappear.
Still a long way to go.
Thought this picture of one of the “lone survivor” trees was kind of cool. It’s overlooking it’s less fortunate neighboring trees.

Not the tops of this one tree ripped off.

1708176278883.jpeg

/ Massive storm clean up #218  
I’m starting to see the end of this clean-up. Some large piles are gone.
More open space beginning to reappear.
Still a long way to go.
Thought this picture of one of the “lone survivor” trees was kind of cool. It’s overlooking it’s less fortunate neighboring trees.

Not the tops of this one tree ripped off.

View attachment 852709

That is a fantastic view!

/ Massive storm clean up
That is a fantastic view!
Is is one of the highest points in DE.
The farm off in the distance is in PA.
It belongs to a world renowned artist. Its his horse farm.

/ Massive storm clean up
Still churning through logs. The end of the log piles is in sight, but then the brush starts.

As you can see on the right, one of about 20 large brush piles. NO. I can’t burn them. lol

Here’s my “logging road” I made to get logs up the steep hill and to a staging area where I cut them to length. I been cutting them 11’ for my 12’ dump bed.

1711217706332.jpeg

Astonishing mess to clean up. Goes on for 1000 yards.

1711217898463.jpeg

Saws holding up very well. Sharpened quite a few times as one can imagine.

1711217781678.jpeg

Return trip empty back to the Customers farm. Damn farmers always slow you down, right?

1711217841690.jpeg

Here’s what I need to finish off the brush.

1711217965236.jpeg